Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #1

Generator tripping?

Went to shed to exercise everything before upcoming trip. Unplugged from 50 amp, started generator and turned on all 3 AC's and got the E7 code. Plugged back in and AC's work. Check the generator and it has tripped the switch on the side of generator. Flipped switch and turned on one AC and it came on and then #2 and it came on. DS 4369. Any ideas? Thanks, Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #2

Unless the generator is a 12,000 watt unit, it produces less power then 50 amp shore power.

With 3 ACs, two are going to be on one power leg and both turning on at once can trip the breaker ( switch on side of generator ).
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What about outlets and other 120v circuits like the microwave? Did they have power or was it just the AC units?

Did the thermostat go through any sequence before it threw the E7? My AC units don’t pull the amps immediately when I switch cooling on but wait a min or two.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
Went to shed to exercise everything before upcoming trip. Unplugged from 50 amp, started generator and turned on all 3 AC's and got the E7 code. Plugged back in and AC's work. Check the generator and it has tripped the switch on the side of generator. Flipped switch and turned on one AC and it came on and then #2 and it came on. DS 4369. Any ideas? Thanks, Bill
When you reset your breaker in your generator, is there one or two and did one or both trip if it has two? What size is your generator? When you did the reset of the breakers and restarted your AC units did all three work when you started them one at a time? Have you ever ran all three units off your generator before? Depending on your generator size as twinboat mentioned it may not be able to handle all three at one time or at least if they are all starting at the same time. If you only have a single circuit breaker on the generator it may be as twinboat stated not large enough to run all three units. I know a lot of questions but I don’t know your situation or coach. Both of mine have a 12,500 generator and run all three units with power to spare.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #5

I never use the main on/off switch on the thermostat to turn off/on the air conditioners/heat pumps. I always navigate to each units menu and select to off mode individually. Then when powering up I have to go to each units menu and select the cooling/heating mode.

That sequence prevents all units trying to start at the same time so as not to load up the electrical systems with multiple simultaneous start currents. Although each unit does have a 2 minute delay, if you start all the delay timers at the same time they will attempt to start everything at once.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I wait till I hear each compressor start before moving to the next AC.

Run all 3 on a 10KW gen, no problem.

Tags
generator