Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Genny slide

I've got an '03 Dutch Star and I can't get the genny slide locks to release. I just bought this rig and it appears it hasn't been slid out for years. The last owner didn't even know that it did. Does anyone have an illustration of what the locking mechanism looks like? I have sprayed with penetrating oil and am patiently waiting.
MSG Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
"Does anyone have an illustration..."

I dont', but when I was servicing my generator I inspected and lubricated the locking mechanism. If I'm not mistaken, and assuming that the 2003 is like the 2000, you can access the mechanism with the slide closed, but it will require you to roll under the MH and to the back of the generator. Mine had quite a bit of room to access the lock, so once under there you should be able to see how it locks and be able to unlock it manually without the use of the cable.

If you choose to do it, make sure you block the wheels and block the frame if you raise the MH with the jacks. And deflate the air bags.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just to check, have you released the 2 hook locks prior to pulling the "T" handle for the genny? You may also try pushing in on the genny slide while pulling the "T" handle.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Worked on mine today as last Winter, Florida, the pull mechanism did not work to unlock the 2006 GEN slide and this is a full front slide, heavy etc.

You need 2 persons to do it well as one does move the handle(situated in the driver side front panel - full of electrical stuff) and the other goes under the front, behind the GEN and you will see the metal string to the left unlock, followed by a metal piece, followed by the right unlock. This metal device does stretch, making it impossible to unlock the passenger side locking thing. So you remove the metal piece, note that it is too long, give it a curve to shorten it, put it back in place.....voilà you pull the handle and the whole front unlocks - It has nothing to do with rust.......it is a mechanical elongation of the mechanism - wish I could post PICS !!

Next time I have the 2006 MH (DSDP) serviced, I will have the metal piece shortened 3-4 mm at least.

Hope this helps
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all the ideas!!! I was able to release the mech today after the penetrating oil set in. I did have to rock it in but then it released and worked well after that. Thanks again to all that replied.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hey, wait a minute... you can't leave until you tell use how you fixed it. Did you have to crawl under and work on the latch or was it done from the front of the slide.

Was it the latch mechanism, or the slide rollers that we stuck.

Although some of us don't need the information, others with similar problems may find the information useful. It's always helpful to close problem write-ups with detailed problem resolution.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Already explained in no 4 ...the latch mechanism
Old 09-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renden View Post
Already explained in no 4 ...the latch mechanism
Well you explained what you did in #4 and I explained what I did in #2, but MSG Chuck didn't fully explain what he did.

Thanks for the input Renden...
Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
All is well with generator slide!

Blame it on a rookie blogger mistake but I didn't explain my remedy. As I said in the beginning, I sprayed the heck out of the latches with penetrating oil. It is nearly impossible to get to them with the slide latched but I did the best I could. After waiting for a couple of days, and reading all the great suggestions, I was able to release the latches by pulling on the T-bar release handle. I may have rocked the slide back slightly while doing this but all I can say is that it did release and I was a happy camper .... no pun intended! Thanks again for all the ideas and I love this forum. It's gonna be a great help with a newbie almost full timer (8 months on the road and 4 months in MI). Great to be a part of the group
Old 09-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm embarrassed to ask, but...... just where is this T-handle to release the gen slide? I've been looking at my gen mount for a year now, telling myself that it HAS to slide out, its so obvious that its made to slide out, but for the life of me I've not seen a release handle or latch release of any kind! Am I going blind, or what? Please!! (and thanks, too!)
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I'm embarrassed to ask, but...... just where is this T-handle to release the gen slide? I've been looking at my gen mount for a year now, telling myself that it HAS to slide out, its so obvious that its made to slide out, but for the life of me I've not seen a release handle or latch release of any kind! Am I going blind, or what? Please!! (and thanks, too!)
Open the front. Look just to the left and above the genny.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Romeo for your ...thanks

MSG Chuck, you sprayed the latches and you were lucky pulling on the T handle - do not think the latches are the problem but the bar between the two connecting wire that goes to the handle......it might have been stretched with usage to the point where the 2nd latch does not work - check it out next time - in mine (2006 DSDP) it is right behind the Gen - up there
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Open the front. Look just to the left and above the genny.
Boy, was this a Homer Simpson moment!! Thanks, Spinner!

LEFT: What I've seen--- big cable bundle zip-tied to the metal frame. RIGHT: Reality---what I see after I push the big cable bundle aside.

Doh!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	genrelease1.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	46460   Click image for larger version

Name:	genrelease2.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	46461  

2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post

Boy, was this a Homer Simpson moment!! Thanks, Spinner!

LEFT: What I've seen--- big cable bundle zip-tied to the metal frame. RIGHT: Reality---what I see after I push the big cable bundle aside.

Doh!!
Boy I wished I had a t-handle. I have a little choke cable button. I get mine all loose it will be time for an upgrade!
racerdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide