Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Genset to Shore Power and visa versa!

Have received all kinds of different opinions and misinformation. Would like to know the proper procedure when swapping from generator to shore power. Also would like the proper procedure from swapping from shore power to generator.
I just purchased a new 2015 DS 4369, drove 300 miles to home and plugged into shore power and then shutdown generator with all 3 A/C's running thinking shore power would would be dominant and no load on generator. Now the generator will only run 5 seconds and spit out code 13 (under-voltage) Where can I find Newmar factual information on which power source is dominant.

Thanks
Everyone!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 09:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
With RV auto transfer switches, the genset always takes priority, so when you plugged it in everything was still running on generator.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Have received all kinds of different opinions and misinformation. Would like to know the proper procedure when swapping from generator to shore power. Also would like the proper procedure from swapping from shore power to generator.....
Thanks
Everyone!
Shore power is connected to your AC distribution panel through a generator transfer switch. When you start a generator, the automatic transfer switch will connect after a brief time delay.

Even if plugged into shore power, the generator will be the source of power. When you shut down a generator, unfortunately there is a voltage drop before the transfer switch drops out and you are reconnected to shore power. This will cause all kinds of problems to connected equipment. If this is what you experienced, you will need to shut down the heavy loads like A/C before shutting down the generator. You don’t have to do this when you start the generator, only when stopping it.

You may have a power managment system that is suposed to prevent this. That's something for a dealer to explain or contact Newmar.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Typically not recommended to have heavy loads (such as air conditioning) operating when the transfer switch is switched. The contacts in the switch can arc, damaging the contacts and other components.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #5

We have the same coach as you do and have had this same conversation. When swapping from shore power to generator or visa versa, we secure the load which is to say shut down the AC, then secure the generator or shore power and transfer the load and the restart the AC. We don't have the generator running when we are plugged in to shore power.

All the best,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:03 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"lakebuster"......Where are you seeing that code?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I can read the code at S/S switch in coach and at genset S/S switch. The PDI guy told me to pull into campground or house were I have 50 amp power and plug in cord, then shutdown generator. I did this the first night we stayed at campground behind selling dealer and once again when I got home. Never did he say take load off of generator before swapping to shore power, thus I thought shore power was the dominant. Cummins Mid-South will start looking at generator on Thursday. I am just a little upset with a new coach and 8 hours on generator and already having problems! The funny thing as this was happening I was receiving phone call from Newmar on congratulating me on new coach, he could tell I was upset and I told him the problem I was experiencing, we had conference call with Newmar and Cummins and tried different techniques but to no avail. We shall see what happens Thursday when service tech arrives.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:43 AM   #8

I personally think the best practice is to shut down the air conditioners and let the generator run for a minute or two. You will notice the generator rpm slow down since there is no longer a demand for power. While I am waiting I plug in the shore power and before turning on the shore power breaker I shut down the generator. After turning the shore power power on and checking my surge guard protector I then turn on the air conditioners.

Hope this helps.
Phil
Phil_Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:05 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Vsheetz and Dutch Star Phil have it right. Follow their recommendations.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:03 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Well cummins mid-south came out and said brush block is not aligned to rings, so off to the shop to have repaired on monday.

Tags
power, shore power