Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Girard awning remote problem

On our MADP, we can extend and retract the main awning with the switches on the control box in the front overhead compartment. And, using the remote, we can extend and retract the small door awning. We cannot, however, get the main awning to either extend or retract with the remote. When I press the "Open" or "Close" buttons on the remote, the little red light illuminates as it should.

Does this mean I have a faulty remote? Or, have I missed something in the setup process? The Newmar MADP Owners Manual is completely useless ("press the appropriate switch") and the Girard manual is not helpful either. So, I'm turning to the folks that actually know something...the folks on the Newmar Owners' forum.

Thanks for any guidance you may have.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have two remotes. One works the door only even though it has main awning buttons and the other works the main awnings only.
wishalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Oops!

After speaking with a tech at Girard, I came to the embarrassing realization that our door awning is not a Girard. It is a Dometic. I was under the impression that all of the awnings on the Mountain Aire were Girard but a close examination of the remote revealed a Dometic label. I am going to follow up with Newmar just to clear up the misunderstanding in my mind...or to find out if they installed the wrong door awning.

A bit of rummaging through some drawers produced a small, white box with a white...wait for it...Girard remote. It runs the patio awning just fine. Having to deal with two different remotes to deploy and store the awnings is a bit of a pain and we will probably have a Girard door awning installed with a dual remote control.

What remains to be determined is who will pay for it. If it was just my misunderstanding, I'll step up and write the check. OTOH, if I was supposed to have a Girard door awning in the first place, I expect Newmar to step up.

TJ
Old 09-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #4

Did you order the full girard package ?
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
Did you order the full girard package ?
That may be where the confusion exists. We did not order the optional Girard package that we thought was for a second patio awning. If the "full Girard package" means that a Girard door awning would also replace the Dometic unit, then we would likely have ordered that package, though we didn't really want the additional patio awning.

TJ
Old 09-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
That may be where the confusion exists. We did not order the optional Girard package that we thought was for a second patio awning. If the "full Girard package" means that a Girard door awning would also replace the Dometic unit, then we would likely have ordered that package, though we didn't really want the additional patio awning.

TJ
i know on the DS, you have to order the "full girard package" to get girards all the way around and the entrance door.....

not sure on the high line coaches....never dared to look at an order sheet !!!!

but that's where i'd start...look at your order sheet and see what it says....
Old 09-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #7

Jim,

We have the full Girard package on ours, and don't think the door awning is controlled by the remote, and I am unsure if it is a Girard or Dometic. I have been using the toggle switch in the driver overhead compartment to extend and retract that one.

The "little white remote" only will extend and retract the two large Girard awnings on the passenger side of the coach. I don't think we even have a remote for our door awning. Could you possibly post a pic of that remote you are speaking of?
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
i know on the DS, you have to order the "full girard package" to get girards all the way around and the entrance door.....

not sure on the high line coaches....never dared to look at an order sheet !!!!

but that's where i'd start...look at your order sheet and see what it says....
I have looked at the order sheet and it is still confusing. Here are the awning options (in addition to the standard package) for the 2018 Mountain Aire:

"Additional Girard G2000 Side Awning On Door side"

"Girard Pkg -2 Nova Side Awnings, Slideout Covers, Entrance Door & Power Window Awnings"

We didn't want the second "Side Awning on Door Side," so didn't choose that. And, we interpreted the "Girard Pkg" to be an upgrade from the G2000 awnings to the Novas, so we didn't choose that either. All the rest of the information on the order sheet is pretty generic.

The Girard side (patio) awning is mentioned specifically as being standard. The "door awning" is just described generically, but one would think that when the Girard awning is specified for the side awning, the door awning would be the same brand. Apparently not...but I am going to verify with Newmar tomorrow. It is not a major problem, but a bit of an irritant.

TJ
Old 09-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
I have looked at the order sheet and it is still confusing. Here are the awning options (in addition to the standard package) for the 2018 Mountain Aire:

"Additional Girard G2000 Side Awning On Door side"

"Girard Pkg -2 Nova Side Awnings, Slideout Covers, Entrance Door & Power Window Awnings"

We didn't want the second "Side Awning on Door Side," so didn't choose that. And, we interpreted the "Girard Pkg" to be an upgrade from the G2000 awnings to the Novas, so we didn't choose that either. All the rest of the information on the order sheet is pretty generic.

The Girard side (patio) awning is mentioned specifically as being standard. The "door awning" is just described generically, but one would think that when the Girard awning is specified for the side awning, the door awning would be the same brand. Apparently not...but I am going to verify with Newmar tomorrow. It is not a major problem, but a bit of an irritant.

TJ
that language is pretty much the same as on the DS order sheet...

on a DS, the only way to get the door awning as a girard is to get the girard package....so i bet it's the same on the MA....it's worded the same...

so, you have one G2000 on the door side ? and manual window awnings ? are your slide toppers girard ?

now, i would have guessed that on the MA, all girard was standard....but maybe not....
Old 09-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
Jim,

We have the full Girard package on ours, and don't think the door awning is controlled by the remote, and I am unsure if it is a Girard or Dometic.

The "little white remote" only will extend and retract the two large Girard awnings on the passenger side of the coach. I don't think we even have a remote for our door awning. Could you possibly post a pic of that remote you are speaking of?
this is the way it is on the DS....no remote for the door awning, and a white remote is for the two nova side awnings.....but all the awnings...both on the roofline, on the windows, on the entrance door, and as the slide toppers, are girard...
Old 09-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
2018 DS Full Girard package, door awning is not on Girard remote, has a switch in overhead above the driver seat.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We also have a switch in the overhead panel above the driver that controls the door awning. In addition, we have the remote shown below that does the same thing. It is clearly marked "Dometic."

I guess my confusion is the result of some generic language in the build sheet and the expectation that when building a Mountain Aire, Newmar wouldn't put two different brands of awnings on a coach. And, yes...we do have manual window awnings. I don't know the brand of them or the slide toppers. There's no visible markings that I can see.

As I said earlier, it isn't a major issue; just a disappointment that Newmar would throw a bunch of different parts together in what they call a "luxury coach" without considering how they would work together.

TJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0568.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	219884  
Old 09-21-2018, 05:02 AM   #13

Quote:

As I said earlier, it isn't a major issue; just a disappointment that Newmar would throw a bunch of different parts together in what they call a "luxury coach" without considering how they would work together.

TJ
your slide toppers, window awnings, and entrance door awnings must all be dometic...

i thought the MA and up had all girards, all around, standard...
Old 09-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We also have a switch in the overhead panel above the driver that controls the door awning. In addition, we have the remote shown below that does the same thing. It is clearly marked "Dometic."

I guess my confusion is the result of some generic language in the build sheet and the expectation that when building a Mountain Aire, Newmar wouldn't put two different brands of awnings on a coach. And, yes...we do have manual window awnings. I don't know the brand of them or the slide toppers. There's no visible markings that I can see.

TJ
Jim we have a dometic awning over the door and Girard nova awnings as the patio awning. 2017 DS
wishalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, remote