Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

Girard Awnings retract on their own Update

Update on Girard awning Newmar Factory repair. I'm told only 2019 Dutch Stars have this problem.

For a little background, our awnings were coming in on their own whenever they wanted. They did this with no corresponding event to cause them to close. I tried to eliminate every possible cause such as RF and EMI etc. with no success.

After two days at the factory, for the second time, to solve the problem, Girard was not responding so Newmar Service Director Ken Miller got involved and would you believe Girard who previously said they would not throw parts at the problem was sending and experimental unit that would power the unit through the controller. Newmar could not however get the motion sensors to work and because we could not spend any more time at the factory, we decided to have Girard sent a tech to the California desert in January when we were there. We would have to unplug the controllers when travelling because the ignition lock out was no longer working. OK it was only a few weeks to manage the new arrangement.

On to Tennessee only to find out that the outside window shades no longer work along with the drivers overhead cabinet light and our door awning was now out.

Apparently in changing the wiring, all these functions were disconnected.

I guess I'll be back on the phone to Newmar Monday Morning to see what they disconnected that's causing this issue.

These functions are controlled by F18 fuse in the the half bath which no longer has a wire running to it. I can probably power it all back up if I knew what F 4 fuse powered besides the awning light.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
What a hassle. This and a lot of other recent posts about wonky high tech automated gadgetry has me looking at older coaches again. With everything multiplexed its about impossible for the end user to work on this stuff anymore. Id like to own my next coach 10 years or more and thats a lot of time after warranty for things to malfunction.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's funny, F18 has a 7.5 amp fuse for the awning and F4 is a 20 amp fuse for the porch light. You're right, it must be powering something else.

Since you'll be in the area, why don't you go directly to the factory in San Clemente. We went there to get ours adjusted and they were great to work with.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It's funny, F18 has a 7.5 amp fuse for the awning and F4 is a 20 amp fuse for the porch light. You're right, it must be powering something else.

Since you'll be in the area, why don't you go directly to the factory in San Clemente. We went there to get ours adjusted and they were great to work with.
This is the third attempt so I figure they can come to us this time.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 AM   #5

It’s not a problem isolated to the 2019 year. I’ve posted numerous times about our 2018 awnings. I spent three days at Camp Girard working with Chuck and their enginering team. Is was baffling to Girard that it only happens with the 4369 and only a few units.
I will cut to the chase and tell you that on my DS is was a Newmar issue in the way that they provide the 12 volt to the sensors. Start on the roof where the wires go to the awnings. You need to move and separate the the 120 volt wires away from the 12 volt wires. That along with a filter solved the issue and it fixed my possessed awnings. If you want more info just let me know and I will share all the steps we took at Girard.

Here is my background info...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2018...ed-378693.html
Old 12-09-2019, 05:01 AM   #6

Thank you for your comment. I would very much know how they did the modifications.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #7

This is what we did at Girard. We isolated the wind sensors (actually accelerometers) and provided a separate 12 volt power supply to the sensors. They went on the roof and opened up the junction area where the Newmar wiring meets the Girard wiring. Connected a seperate 12v source. By the way, the wiring in the roof at this junction is just as messy and dis-organized as the rest of Newmar's wiring. Once the sensor wiring was isolated the problem went away. I wanted to make sure of this, so I spent an extra day at the factory. Then we re-connected to the Newmar wiring and the problem re-occurred that evening.

To fix we did two things, first we separated the 120 volts wires as much as we could and I added a filter at the fuse block in the bath. Then we replaced the wires that run through the awning arms just because it was easy to do at that point.

Put it all back together and resealed the roof, problem has not re-occurred since, six months ago.

I use the word "we" because I did a lot of the testing and a lot of theory time with their engineering department. At the end of this they wanted to hire me. I will also add that this is a Newmar issue with their wiring methods. This junction area is right above the main 120 volt panel in the bath on the 4369 Dutch Star. We concluded that the 12 volt sensor wiring was picking up interference from the 120 volt lines. Why is happens to some and not others is dependent on how the wiring is laid out in the roof area. Most of the time, it is not a problem.

I will know for sure when we go back to the desert in January for a couple of months.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #8

We have a 2019-4369 DS with this problem of awnings retracting for no reason. Thank goodness they don’t extend on their own. So, when you have a fix would you post it? Or if your fix did make them work properly. TIA
YELLOWROSE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YELLOWROSE63 View Post
We have a 2019-4369 DS with this problem of awnings retracting for no reason. Thank goodness they don’t extend on their own. So, when you have a fix would you post it? Or if your fix did make them work properly. TIA

They are now working properly. I believe the line filter did the trick. In the half bath there are a lot of DC wires intermixed with AC wires. The sensors receive their power from this 12 volt bus area. I conclude that there was a lot of noise on the line causing the wind sensors to trigger.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	518.8 KB
ID:	271297
Old 01-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #10

Yup, bad practice to have them in close proximity. Found this in a on-line electrical code manual:

"No raceway or compartment of a multiple-channel raceway shall contain conductors that are connected
to different power or distribution transformers or other different sources of voltage, except where the
conductors
(a) are separated by the metal armour or metal sheath of cable assemblies of the types listed in Table 19;
(b) are separated by a barrier of sheet steel not less than 1.34 mm (No. 16 MSG) thick"
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
They are now working properly. I believe the line filter did the trick. In the half bath there are a lot of DC wires intermixed with AC wires. The sensors receive their power from this 12 volt bus area. I conclude that there was a lot of noise on the line causing the wind sensors to trigger.
Attachment 271297
Is this a noise filter and what part number is the filter? Thanks
Old 01-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982 View Post
Yup, bad practice to have them in close proximity. Found this in a on-line electrical code manual:

"No raceway or compartment of a multiple-channel raceway shall contain conductors that are connected

to different power or distribution transformers or other different sources of voltage, except where the

conductors

(a) are separated by the metal armour or metal sheath of cable assemblies of the types listed in Table 19;

(b) are separated by a barrier of sheet steel not less than 1.34 mm (No. 16 MSG) thick"

Apparently Nappanee is unaware.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Is this a noise filter and what part number is the filter? Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Axxess-AX-ANR...8103887&sr=8-1
Old 01-03-2020, 09:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Thanks

Tags
awning, awnings