Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 04:51 AM   #1

Girard Nova Awning controller problems

over the winter, my main nova awning controller, the white box in the basement, died. no red light illuminated, no power to it, or the awning. it was replaced. all was good, and i just needed to go through the steps to pair the remote controller back up to it....

now, it is on the fritz again. this time, the red light is blinking. a slow blink. awning will not move. same awning is having the issue. i only cycled the awning about 1 times or so since the replacement a month ago. the rear controller has been fine the whole time....

has anyone else had any issues with their girard nova controllers ? i have not gotten on the phone with girard yet, that will be later today or tomorrow...
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
dms

Went through this same issue with my Girard. After getting with their tech support, they sent a replacement controller which I installed, but no joy. Called Girard back and the tech said the motor needed replacing. The bad motor roasted the first controller. Had the motor replaced in Nappannee and no more problems.

Replacing the motor is not for the faint of heart. I watched them do the replacement. Had to remove the awning and place on the roof (2 man job). Then, one man swapped the motor, and again, a 2 man job to refit and adjust. Altogether, a 2 hour job. All was under warranty.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
Went through this same issue with my Girard. After getting with their tech support, they sent a replacement controller which I installed, but no joy. Called Girard back and the tech said the motor needed replacing. The bad motor roasted the first controller. Had the motor replaced in Nappannee and no more problems.

Replacing the motor is not for the faint of heart. I watched them do the replacement. Had to remove the awning and place on the roof (2 man job). Then, one man swapped the motor, and again, a 2 man job to refit and adjust. Altogether, a 2 hour job. All was under warranty.
thanks for the reply. i was thinking the likelihood of back to back bad controllers was remote, every pun intended. got on the phone with newmar and girard, and girard recommended hard wiring the awning motor into 110v and checking voltages and amperages, and that the motor could be going or gone. i am under warranty, so i am not going to mess with it. booked a mobile tech to look at it next week, and will report back.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
over the winter, my main nova awning controller, the white box in the basement, died. no red light illuminated, no power to it, or the awning. it was replaced. all was good, and i just needed to go through the steps to pair the remote controller back up to it....

now, it is on the fritz again. this time, the red light is blinking. a slow blink. awning will not move. same awning is having the issue. i only cycled the awning about 1 times or so since the replacement a month ago. the rear controller has been fine the whole time....

has anyone else had any issues with their girard nova controllers ? i have not gotten on the phone with girard yet, that will be later today or tomorrow...
We had this same problem. Ended up being just a tripped GFCI outlet in the bathroom. Have to push it VERY hard to reset it. That fixed our problem. The white box lit back up and awning was working again.
dcrna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Although Willipaul’s lite is blinking so it’s not the GFI , I did help someone find and reset the gfi in the bathroom that dms referred to , on the 4369 it’s the gfi outlet hidden in the bathroom vanity cabinet that controls the power to the awnings
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Although Willipaul’s lite is blinking so it’s not the GFI , I did help someone find and reset the gfi in the bathroom that dms referred to , on the 4369 it’s the gfi outlet hidden in the bathroom vanity cabinet that controls the power to the awnings
my awnings are also connected to the GFI's that are in the half bath....i have a whole set of 12v and 110v breakers and fuses inside a large cabinet in that half bath, along with two GFI outlets with the resets that control the basement GFI's, that are essentially right below them in the basement compartment there....

and i also found the dometic power stool controller swinging around down there, behind my pegboard bay by the holding tanks.....took it all apart, looking for the awning motion sensors.....just silly that it is not secure.....
Old 06-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

tech did troubleshooting on the awning today....after going through the steps with girard, they surmised the controller went bad, again.....which seems unlikley....

so tech opened up controller, and found about a half a teaspoon of water in it....and it had clearly shorted out....

the main reason for my trip to newmar in SEPT is for water in the underbelly pan....when i drive though rain, and then stop, when parked at the correct angle, i get water draining out of the pan....i have only seen the carpeting wet in the outside refrigerator bay, no where else....but apparently, i have a bigger issue with water getting in the basement....

it most likely fried the first controller, and now the second.....

Tags
awning, ems, problems