Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Girard Nova Awning Protection Switch

There have been numerous reports of the Girard Nova Awnings deploying on their own. I have never experienced this in the limited time I have owned my 2019 Newmar Dutch Star, but I did receive a call from Newmar specifically advising me to leave the awnings unplugged unless I intend to use them.

The location of the plug is in the bays, and although not hard to access, it is an extra unnecessary step and an inconvenience to have to unplug each time.

The reasons for the deployment given where a possible grounding issue, which has yet to be identified. Since I park my RV in a garage, this could be a real problem if the awnings deployed.

The Girard Nova awning has a Emergency break cutout circuit, that is supposed to retract the slides once the break is released and then after 60 seconds will remove all power to awnings to ensure the awnings will not deploy. In spite of this circuit, numerous claims of awning deployments while driving have been made online, and Newmar has confirmed several warranty repairs for this exact problem. I do not have data as to what years are affected, nor how many models.

My goal is to make certain that the awnings cannot deploy, and since Newmar has stated the only way to do this is to remove power, I decided to go along with that plan, but in an easy fashion. What I have installed is a relay controlled power strip. The plugs will only be turned on when my switch passes 12 volt DC power to the relay.* This was accomplished with minimal effort and cost, and restores the luxury of using the awnings safely and conveniently. The switch is located on my left hand side console, in front of my transmission. Not an ideal place, but this was an unused switch for the tag dump, which was replaced with a function on my HWH Active Air. By using this location, I didn't have to cut into the dashboard, or do extensive work. I will most likely relocate the window up/down button to this position once I receive the custom switch I have on order. For now, I am using the Tag Dump switch, rewired to only make use of the ON/OFF and not connecting to the momentary (ON).

The parts list for this project:
  1. Controllable Four Outlet Power Relay*
  2. Custom Made wiring Harness
  3. Custom L-Series switch
  4. Power Distribution Box
  5. 16 Gauge Wire
  6. 12 Gauge Wire
  7. 10 Gauge Wire

For the custom wiring harness, all that is required is a single 16awg signal wire running to the switch. Since this is a long run going from the bays to the dashboard, I decided to make a custom wiring harness with extra wires for the future. I included 6 different colors of wires in a wire loom, and ran it inside the frame rails to the front of the RV. I then entered the wiring compartment below the drivers seat, and ran it up to the dashboard. This harness is now fully accessible for any future projects.*

Making the harness was rather simple, but time consuming. My hands were rather sore after putting all that wire inside the loom. I ended up with a 30 foot harness, which can easily reach the cabinet above the driver, or the center console behind the screens. I also left a pull string in the chase for future wire installation. After taking the time to fish the first wire, it is always wise to leave a pull string behind.

Since I was already running wire from the 12v power bay to the dashboard, I made a secondary harness with 3 10 awg wires (Red/Black/White) and connected to the KIB terminals. These terminate behind my dash into two distribution boxes, one for ignition power, and one for constant power. I will use this to tap in for my Dash Camera, Tablet Power, and other accessory power items in the future.

With the power distribution in place, the switch needs to have a 12v power supplied to one leg, and the positive signal wire connected to the other, so that when the switch is ON, 12v DC power is supplied to the signal wire. I used a common ground for the Negative side of the signal wire. The finished product allows me to now safely cut the power to the Girard awnings with a simple toggle switch, and I no longer have to disconnect and reconnect the power cords.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181109_100253.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	225426   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181109_100319.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	225427  

Name:	20181109_100403.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	225428   Click image for larger version

Name:	2935-17.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	225429  

Name:	20181107_185542.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	225430  
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #2

Very good info. Thanks
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #3

Great write up on. ........Only problem I have is my ability to do this!
For several months now, I've been unplugging mine. To make this easier for now, I've inserted all three of them into a "3-tee combination plug", so that just one effort is required. I've been thinking lately that I might be able to just flip a breaker upstairs, but I'm not sure what else is on that circuit, and the Motorhome is in storage at this time. I do know that my wine cooler plugs into that circuit when we travel, so that won't work all the time.

Thanks,
Stu
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:40 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use 110 volt remote controlled plugs to keep my outside and televator TV turned completely off. This prevents me from accidentally turning them on, since I rarely use them. You remove the plug from the outlet, install the remote controlled plug ad plug the TV cord back in. I mounted the wireless remote in a cabinet and just turn on the outlet with the remote. The reason I mention this....I haven't looked at the Girard awning plugs yet. Are they just 110 volt plugs or some type of other plug. Could the remote controlled plugs be used....they come in three and four packs.

Either way, thanks for reminding me to unplug them and where they're at. My coach is parked about three feet from my house.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:36 AM   #5

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
What I find strange is this has been a known issue for a while. A few people received calls from Newmar but I have yet to hear anything from them. What would it take 1 or 2 hours to do a database search for who has the Girard awning, print mailing labels and send out letters to everyone effected.

I guess it not anything they are really worried about.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:37 AM   #6

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Great ideas Don and Red Baron. You should be on Newmar payroll.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:57 AM   #7

Is the Dometic control unit (pic 2, left side) for the AquaHot?
Old 11-10-2018, 04:58 AM   #8

Over at North Trail, they have had a couple units with the issue. One opened up against a new King Aire and caused a lot of paint repair. I have no problem unplugging the units when I open the bin to put stuff back after camping, then plug in (if using) at the next site.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:37 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Is the Dometic control unit (pic 2, left side) for the AquaHot?
No, it's for the auto gen start. This is the external input setting on the magnum, allowing the dometic to request generator.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I use 110 volt remote controlled plugs to keep my outside and televator TV turned completely off. This prevents me from accidentally turning them on, since I rarely use them. You remove the plug from the outlet, install the remote controlled plug ad plug the TV cord back in. I mounted the wireless remote in a cabinet and just turn on the outlet with the remote. The reason I mention this....I haven't looked at the Girard awning plugs yet. Are they just 110 volt plugs or some type of other plug. Could the remote controlled plugs be used....they come in three and four packs.

Either way, thanks for reminding me to unplug them and where they're at. My coach is parked about three feet from my house.
Yes it is just 110v. It is 2 separate plugs. I had considered a zwave system, but I wanted a visual indication that power was off. The wifi remotes and other wireless plugs all require an app, and that was too much effort for a simple check of current power.

The effort involved in this is less than an oasis preheat pump and less than a sanicon install, but more than most of my mods. As long as you can find a way to kill power that you are comfortable with, that is the only need.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Strange, I just got back from a factory pickup and not a mention of this
toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, switch