RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #1

After my great Girard/Carefree debacle, I was out last weekend and wanted to test my wind retraction on the Girard that I supposedly DO have. I put it out about 2 1/2 feet to test...This was as brave as I could get....good thing too...The wind was blowing so hard I could feel the coach rocking..with the jacks DOWN...the awning never moved. If the awning was fully extended, it would be an X-awning for sure...what is the problem...and where would the controller adjustment box be??? Thanks
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #2

After my great Girard/Carefree debacle, I was out last weekend and wanted to test my wind retraction on the Girard that I supposedly DO have. I put it out about 2 1/2 feet to test...This was as brave as I could get....good thing too...The wind was blowing so hard I could feel the coach rocking..with the jacks DOWN...the awning never moved. If the awning was fully extended, it would be an X-awning for sure...what is the problem...and where would the controller adjustment box be??? Thanks
Old 11-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #3

The control boxes in my 07 Essex are in one of the rear passenger side bays mounted towards the top, front, left of the bay. They do have wind speed adjustments inside. At the International rally, Girard tested my awning retract (after replacing the sensor) and reset the speed. Mine were factory set at 22 mph and they like to see 17 mph. If you open one the boxes (I have two large awnings, hence two boxes) you'll see a knob that may have a pointer going to 22. Readjust to 17.

They also had a guy on the roof, blowing into the sensor. I noticed he had to blow continuously for awhile to trip the sensor. I guess it integrates the wind speed for a period of time to prevent tripping on a short gust. I would use a hair dryer myself to spin the sensor.

The sensor itself has two parts. The upper part with the cups which also contains a spinning magnet and the lower part that contains a reed switch. The spinning magnet causes the reed switch to open and close syncronously with wind speed.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Nice post Dick and thanks for letting Susan take pics of your sensor protector,although it's hard to judge relative size of what's up there....Maybe I'll get Jeremy to get up there and take a better pic.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:19 AM   #5

Bob,

I went to a marine hardware store and bought a set of two boat bumper hangers made out of stainless. They are shaped like a J. I mounted them like so _) with the raised part facing forward and up and with the part that normally mounts to a post mounted horizontally and under the mounting bracket for the sensor. They are slightly taller then the sensor and about a 1/2" wide. They do not affect airflow.

I will have to modify it at some point in the future to provide backup protection.

I think Newmar should either put a wire basket around this sensor or use a different sensor. I don't know how many parks I've been in that had small branches hanging down. Believe me it doesn't take much to destroy the sensor.

By the way you may have got a machine when you called Girard - I forgot to tell you they were in CA.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:27 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Road Pilot:
Bob,
I think Newmar should either put a wire basket around this sensor or use a different sensor. I don't know how many parks I've been in that had small branches hanging down. Believe me it doesn't take much to destroy the sensor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now working on my third one,(lost #1 on my street on the trip home), I can certainly attest to the fragile nature of Girard's whiz bang sensor.
Howard warrantied the first one,I paid for the second one and after all I've been through I don't think they had the heart to charge me for the third one as they warrantied that one as well...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">By the way you may have got a machine when you called Girard - I forgot to tell you they were in CA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that to be the case as I called first thing one morning from my East Coast residence...
Old 11-26-2006, 04:01 AM   #7

Is everyone happy with the Girard awnings? It was a $4500+ option for the MA. I passed on it since we are not fulltiming or retired....use of the MH is limited to extended trips and long weekends May - Sept. They look great and provide a lot more shade, just not sure if it was worth the premium.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:35 AM   #8

The Girard Awning package on the Essex is just over 9k. I believe it is worth it. Additionally Girard's service is awesome and worth that alone.

Peter
Old 11-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
The Girard Awning package on the Essex is just over 9k. I believe it is worth it. Additionally Girard's service is awesome and worth that alone.

Peter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What HE said....
Old 11-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #10

It's like pre paying for service...it's a lifetime warranty, I think. Too bad it doesnt include replacing the side of your coach PLUS the awning when the wind sensor is snoozing on the job
Old 11-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #11

Now you guys are making me jealous

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:39 AM   #12

We ahd originally planned on ordering the Carefree awnings on our 07 Essex, but we have friends that have an 06 Essex they bought from Howard RV, who told us, just don't get the Carefree. They had had a lot of issues with them. We're happy with the awnings.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:58 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Road Pilot:
We have friends that have an 06 Essex they bought from Howard RV... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the reason those folks aren't in the iRV2 Newmar Owner's Forum is....

Old 11-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #14

Bob,

I try to keep selling them on IRV2 and sooner or later I'm sure they'll show up. Ask Jeremy sometime about the Essex he drove out of the lot. It was theirs