Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

Smile Going from Gas Newmar to Diesel Newmar!

Hi fellow Newmar owners,

We have enjoyed RVing for 20 plus years! (10 years has been in a Newmar)

We started with a 5th Wheel, then a Class C, then a 32' Class A, Newmar Scottsdale (which we need to sell or trade-in) and now have a "deposit" on a 40' Class A, Newmar Ventana that we are pretty excited about.

We are new to diesel pushers and (getting ready for retirement)... we have researched entry level diesel pushers like the LE but are thinking we would really enjoy the extra push to get into a Ventana and never have to upgrade again! We found a model 4002 at our local Newmar dealer that is fully loaded with options that we don't even fully understand, but we love the floorplan and since it's a 2016, it's a better price than a 2017.

First question...does my husband need a different type of driver's license in order to drive a diesel?

What is the Oasis system? Sure seems to cost a lot...is it better? Why?

A little nervous about going from a 32 foot rig to a 40 foot rig. Any advice?

Thank you!
VCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

License requirements vary by state/province with regard to weight and air brake systems.
Extra length will take about 2 hours driving to adapt to.
I don't have the Oasis system so I can't comment .

I'm sure you'll enjoy the new coach .
Safe Travels.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great choice methinks, congratulations. The lisence requirements can vary by state - here in California over 40' requires additional. As for the size one just has to be more aware and careful. You are used already to driving a big box. I'll let others comment on the oasis as I don't have direct experience.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

To answer the question completely those in the know will need to know what state you are in, as the requirements vary. No license difference just because it's a diesel, but weight, length, towing all add into the answer.

The Oasis is your hot water system, expensive yes, works well from what I've read.

The hubby should have a very short learning curve by adding the extra eight feet. Of course I'm in a 31 footer ....

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #5

Thank you!

We're in TEXAS!
Old 08-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have Hydro-Hot which is an older version of Oasis. Basically they do a couple of things. First they use a combination of a diesel-fired furnace in conjunction with an electric heating element to provide coach hot water. Second it will take over heating the coach when the temp drops below the point where the heat pumps on the roof can no longer do the job. When it works it's great. Shower as long as you like and never run out of hot water! It does require annual maintenance and if it breaks it can be pretty expensive to fix. Another thing, if you pay extra for a aftermarket warrantee check to make sure that it is covered. Mine From Cornerstone says that it covers hot water heaters but in the fine print says that it does not cover hydronic systems. Caveat emptor.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Your State, as said determines what your license need will be. Most states have no special requirements but there are some that require special certifications./testing . No state requires a CDL ( commercial drivers license )
The Oasis is better yes. It will use diesel or electric and is a "Boiler" that heats coolant for several radiators that using a small fan heat quietly and dry , without the moisture propane furnaces put in the air. In addition a water line coil in the boiler heats water for showers and sinks "endlessly" .. No running out of hot water. Not sure if yours is equipped with the engine option also but it can preheat the engine on cold days and when the engine is running will keep the Oaisis Boiler hot "free hot water and heat while driving.
Negatives are its expensive and expensive to fix , needs regular maint to keep working properly.
Another negative is once you have it, your must have list will have an addition.
After having used one ( an aqua hot .. It's "cousin" ) for two years now I won't buy a coach without it.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #8

Awesome! I like the sound of "endless hot water!"

I think ours does have the ability to heat the engine, as well.

Washer and Dryer comes in this unit. Do people really use them?

We have a residential refrig that I think I will really like.

Ours is an all electric rig... that's different, no propane. Even our rangetop is a smooth cook top with 2 burners. The smell of gas bothers me, anyway, so I think this will be a nice change, as well.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar used to put propane fired Oasis systems in some models, not sure about the Ventana.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the rule for drivers license in Texas is based on weight. I believe anything over 26,000 lbs requires something more than a regular license.

Maybe someone from Texas can chime in.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #11

Ha... I say "our rig"... we haven't even purchased it yet! We just have a deposit on it.

Hubby is test driving it tomorrow, then we hope to "know", if it's right or not for us.

We went back and forth between a Ventana LE and a Ventana. All the upgrades in the Ventana, of course, were everything we wanted. We had originally only planned on a 34' or 37' foot rig, but the 40' had the king size bed and the bath and 1/2, etc. Before we knew it, we were sitting in the 40'. This is the last RV we plan on buying so we're trying to plan for the future!

This is really a great community.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #12

This coach is a model 4002.

It has a GVWR of 44,000 lb. It does has a tag axle. Does anyone have concerns that this weight will crack a regular driveway?

We will park this rig on our property (we have 2 acres), it will need a gravel driveway to get to the concrete pad in our back acre, but it does have to be driven down our driveway leading up to the house for a ways.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCarpenter View Post
This coach is a model 4002.

It has a GVWR of 44,000 lb. It does has a tag axle. Does anyone have concerns that this weight will crack a regular driveway?

We will park this rig on our property (we have 2 acres), it will need a gravel driveway to get to the concrete pad in our back acre, but it does have to be driven down our driveway leading up to the house for a ways.
For the driver...the GVWR makes a license up-grade from the standard "Class C" a requirement in TX, see:
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Driver.../dlClasses.htm

For the pad...44,000lb on 3 axles "could" cause a risk of cracking for a typical driveway if it does not have some sort of metal inside the pour like pictured...especially if there is a freeze/thaw cycle in your part of TX.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden-driveway-005-475x318.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	136028

Congrats and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
If you are full-timing I think you will find the washer/dryer to be very worth having. We full-timed in a Tiffin gasser for a year that did not have any clothes washing equipment and spending most of one day a week just finding a coin op laundromat and washing/drying a weeks worth of laundry gets old fast. The new (to us) Essex has a Maytag washer and Maytag compact electric dryer and we do a small load of laundry every other day. It's so convenient that I will never own another one without laundry.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, newmar, gas