Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #1

Going Solo - Lessons ?

I have my wonderful 40' Dutchstar, a little bit big for hitting the road by myself, or maybe not? I'm wondering if I should get some lessons on going solo or downsizing? I don't want to make any decisions yet, as my husband just passed on April 1. I love the RV community and wonder if traveling with Newmar Kountry Klub or Fantasy Tours would be a good way to continue RVing. We own a wonderful lot at an RV resort, and I have no reason to sell it just yet.

I would love to hear some opinions.

Patty
pattypom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #2

Going Solo - Lessons ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattypom View Post
I have my wonderful 40' Dutchstar, a little bit big for hitting the road by myself, or maybe not? I'm wondering if I should get some lessons on going solo or downsizing? I don't want to make any decisions yet, as my husband just passed on April 1. I love the RV community and wonder if traveling with Newmar Kountry Klub or Fantasy Tours would be a good way to continue RVing. We own a wonderful lot at an RV resort, and I have no reason to sell it just yet.

Patty

I will Give you my thoughts. I have met a lot of solo women while rving with my wife. I always admired their perspective and drive. I am now widowed for several years and have met a widow who also has a passion for rving. We are starting over in a New Aire (delivery in early May) and plan to have a great life going forward!
Rdhplano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #3

Thanks for all the reply's!

Patty, we're Sorry for your loss, and admire your will to keep on RV'ing.

I guess it really boils down to how comfortable you are driving the 40' coach, and how much actual traveling you do. If you're parked most of the time, the 40' is going to offer you a lot more space than the New Aire.

If you find yourself on the road a lot, there 's no doubt the 33' is going to easier to drive, navigate on city roads and a world of difference getting in RV spots in older parks.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck and safe travels!

Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Patty!

I agree with Mike in part with regards to how comfortable are you driving the 40' DS. I say "in part" because your comfort level will increase as your confidence increases. And your confidence will increase with knowledge and practice. Having said that, I am a new RVer (5 whole months), so there are people on this forum who can give much more sage advice than me because I have TONS to learn. HOWEVER, I am a solo woman driving a 43' DS and am I comfortable all the time? No. I get on a steep grade and you'd think I was an opera singer choking on saliva. This is where breathing comes in handy. Take your time, drive your own drive and G O A L. My uncle told me truckers have G O A L on their windshield which comes down to...if you are somewhere you haven't been before, Get Out And Look! You have to remember, you aren't driving ALL the time, so determine what you want/need in an RV to be comfortable? What are your priorities? Get out a sheet of paper and make a pro/con list, as well as a wish list. You will find your answer within your own heart.

How to build confidence? YES to classes. FMCA offers RV basics. I just took it in Perry, GA. It is worthwhile. They will be offering it at their rally in Gillette, WY this summer. Driving classes...yes....whatever makes you feel more comfortable. NKK Rallies and trips with Fantasy Tours? Absolutely! You won't be alone. I intend to go to Canada next summer with FMCA/Fantasy Tours. I can't wait. A friend of mine said the trip was fantastic. And this forum has been the #1 life line for me...oops, tied with Newmar CS. [emoji2]

Other things to consider? Are you going to tow a vehicle? To me, it was important, but there are others who just rent a vehicle when they get to their destination. So perhaps you are already comfortable connecting/disconnecting toad, if not...again, it's just practice. I typed out checklists and instructions for just about everything on index cards and laminated them. If I get flustered or interrupted, I can look at them.

I admire your spirit for wanting to continue doing something you enjoy. I wish you well. Hope our paths meet on the road.

Warmly,

Renee
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

At first it may be nervious to drive a big rig but after a few trips you will be a pro and enjoy the extra room. As others have mentioned some RV clubs have classes. FMCA and Escapees are two that I know of. There are also professionals who give training out there.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Up untill Feb 2015 the late wife and I had a 2002 DSDP 4090, then we (really I) decided we needed a larger, fancier rig. She was perfectly happy with the Dutch Star.
Now I'll be hitting the road with a 45' rig and six cats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170924_101747_001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	198334   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170506_080715.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	198335  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Patty:

First, our condolences on the loss of your husband. The fact that you are looking at moving forward with your life is a very good sign. I think you have what it takes to continue in the RV community if that is what you'd like to do.

You didn't say, but since you are considering doing this, I have to think that you have, at least, driven your 40' Dutch Star. If so, you will gain confidence with experience. And, it you haven't yet driven your coach, a qualified instructor can get you started on the right foot. Actually, a good instructor would be good in either scenario just to ensure that you have all the basics down.

My wife and I are in our 70s and until five years ago, she had never driven anything larger than a car. We had a large fifth wheel for a number of years and she was never comfortable driving the truck we pulled it with. I did all the driving.

Then, we went to a small Class C motorhome on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. This changed everything! It didn't seem as intimidating as pulling a 35' fifth wheel and she immediately wanted to try driving it. With a little bit of experience (and some good coaching...) she quickly got comfortable driving it. In fact, in short order, it was hard to get her to give up the driver's seat.

When we moved up to the 34' Ventana LE, she had enough confidence to step right in and drive it. And, she is an excellent driver! Now, we have ordered a 40' Mountain Aire and she can't wait to get behind the wheel. My point here is to reinforce the experience idea. Once you have gained some confidence, it is no big deal. You sound like a motivated person who could easily do the same.

And, the RV community is very supportive of its "family," as is evidenced in this forum. There's always someone here with experience and a willingness to share it. Renee (ARD) gave you some great advice and I know others will be willing to share their knowledge and experience as well.

So, "Welcome to the Newmar Owners' Forum" family. We're glad to have you join us.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Sorry for your loss. I've always heard not to make any financial decisions for at least a year after a spouse passes, and buying a new coach would certainly qualify. If you are semi-comfortable driving the 40', then try it out for awhile alone. You are certainly somewhat familiar with your current rig, which means less stress while you are grieving. Plan ahead, choose your itinerary, routes, fuel stops, and campgrounds ahead, to minimize surprises when you are traveling. Then if you don't like it, or you are not comfortable driving it, then there are plenty of salesmen(sleazy or otherwise) that would be glad to put you into something smaller. If you decide to trade, remember you will take a BIG $$ hit(retail less 30%), and perhaps get taken advantage of on the new rig by the dealer. Ask on the forums for reputable dealer and salesmen recommendations BEFORE you set foot in a showroom. Safe travels.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:37 PM   #9

Going Solo

First I want to say that I appreciate everyone's input and support. While I have driven my rig several times with my husband, it's not the same driving alone without a second driver. I've never driven more than 2 hours, 3 max myself. Without a second driver, I won't get very far. On the Lewis and Clark Fantasy Tour I was looking at, that's all they do in one day anyway. But what about the return trip home to Florida? I don't want to go back alone from Oregon. Has anyone here taken any of these trips? A woman traveling alone may not be safe. I can arrange smaller trips to get my feet wet of course, but I still would feel nervous traveling home alone. Can I use the irv2 forum to find people traveling in the same direction as me? This may sound silly to some, who might say she should give it up, but knowing how to travel and plan is very important. Having comraderie is also very important. Again thank you for your input, Patty
pattypom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:09 AM   #10

solo

Hello Patty,
So sorry for your loss.
The best suggestion I have is to go to RV driving school. My wife waited for school before driving at all. It increased our confidence. We used rvdrivingschool.com
The class is two days. The first day is is in a parking lot with cones. Wife only killed one cone and I got it on video. There is no proof of me running over any.
The second day is on the road. It was definitely a learning experience that was fun. It may also get you a discount on your insurance.
I had to take the coach to Nappanee for repairs and the wife could not take off work. By yourself on a trip has it challenges but it happens everyday. A boost in your confidence will go a long way and the school will help that.
Good luck and be safe.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattypom View Post

Patty
My condolences on your loss, Patty. And my admiration for moving forward instead of coming to a halt.

My 65-year-old wife and her 82-year-old mother take our rig off by themselves every now and then and leave me at home. Admittedly, it's only 30', but the principals are the same.

I do like the idea of a club. Obviously, the fellowship would be nice, but for your first few trips it'd be nice to have someone along for backup and support should you feel you need it.

And if you have lessons available in your area, by all means, anything to allay your doubts will be worthwhile.

Best wishes to you.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #12

Don't forget there is a section for solo RVers on this forum.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #13

Patty, first of all, very sorry for your loss. In less than a week, I'll be soloing from San Diego, back to Wisconsin. (My wife is staying to babysit our new Grand daughter for a while). I soloed to the factory last year. For me, the hardest parts are not having a navigator and second set of eyes for traveling through new areas, finding places to eat, where to get gas, etc, etc. I feel that by myself I need to have a much more detailed daily plan. I want to know pretty much every detail for the day before I start the engine that morning. As others have mentioned, GOAL is really important whether its backing into a campsite or even maneuvering in the gas station. Be careful about trusting others to help you. A lot of well meaning folks might forget to look up and see the branches, or not realize how much space you need for your slides etc. Do you have a friend or relative who might be a good traveling companion? We have a couple of friends who frequently travel together. However you go about it, be safe and have fun!
Old 04-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Patty welcome to the Newmar forum.
Sorry for your loss its difficult losing a loved one.
I see you found your new thread where more people will see your question, any question you may have post a new thread.
Someone mentioned the SOLO Forum here is a link to it.
Hope you can find the means to continue in your travels even if its in a group wagon masters can be very helpful.
Enjoy as much as you can and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote