Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
DJJ

Going to Nappanee, IN, can I wait to winterize?

We are on our way to Nappanee this week to drop the RV off for a month. My question is at what temp. is it still safe to not winterize? Their is a heater vent that blows into the wet bay but no heating pads for the tanks.

I've brought the antifreeze with me wanting to wait until I got there but with the forecast of 20 at night a little worried that that's to cold. I live so far south its rare to see the temp. get in the 40's at night so this cold weather stuff is new to me.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Better safe than sorry. Even when you get to IN they may expect the unit to be winterized. They may not be able to get to the repairs for some time and your unit will be outdoors.

It sounds like you have a TT so you will not likely use it on your trip up to IN. If you do use the potty just take some water in jugs to flush. The waste in the black tank won't cause issues if it does freeze.

If you have a MH you could winterize it and still use the sink and potty by just using water in jugs. Again some waste in the black and gray tanks can be flushed when you arrive. Just remember to re-fill the sink traps before you leave the unit.

I've winterized already because it's 20 degrees outside today here in AR. We have a trip planned the first of December. We'll travel to Hot Springs and when we arrive I'll connect the city water, refill the hot water tank, use the system for the week and re-winterize before we leave.

I don't like using the pink RV AF(bad taste) but it is easier to drain the Hot water tank bypass it then re-fill the lines with AF to keep things from cracking.

Using $10 worth of AF is cheaper than fixing cracked lines in places that one can't get to. Not to mention the possible water damage and then clean up you'll have to do.
TeJay
Old 11-12-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its been known Newmar winterize the coach if its left with them for work to be done on it.
If your traveling with heater on coach should be OK.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #4

Mine will survive 27 with the water heater and the furnace on. 20 might be pushing it. The upside is you make it. Downside is broken water lines that are almost impossible to repair. My vote is to winterize.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #5
DJJ

It's a Dutch Star not a TT and so yes we will be using it, it's a 1,300 mile trip. Was going to take our time but with the cold I think we will just stop at truck stops along the way. If we keep the heat on at night I was hoping we could still use the facilities until we arrived.

Jeff
Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the wee hours of the morning (3-5 am Eastern) I listen to a group of ham radio operators called the Before Breakfast Club, Sometimes I participate (If I can hear the NCS (Net Control Station) clearly enough). Sometimes not (If NCS is down in the noise as it was this morning).

Temps in Indiana have been in the 20's several mornings,,

I would winterize.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I live about 15 miles from Nappanee and if I were going to leave my coach there for a month I would definitely winterize it. You never know about Indiana weather and while the average lows for December are in the mid 20's getting below zero wouldn't be that unusual. In fact December 12, 2013 it got to -2 degrees.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj View Post
I live about 15 miles from Nappanee and if I were going to leave my coach there for a month I would definitely winterize it. You never know about Indiana weather and while the average lows for December are in the mid 20's getting below zero wouldn't be that unusual. In fact December 12, 2013 it got to -2 degrees.

I was going to winterize it when I got there. But with the colder weather just wanted to know if using the the coach how cold would be safe. As said before I can heat the inside and the wet bay while we are on the road and at night. But, yes I definitely will winterize it when I get there.

Jeff
Old 11-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I would winterize NOW! assuming you are still south. As mentioned above, take jugs of water to use to flush the toilet with. Take bottled water to drink. The only inconvenience will be not having the shower facilities. I live in central Missouri, directly west of Indiana. Our daytime highs for the next 7 days will not be above 40deg. The night time lows are all forecast in the low 20's to upper teens for the same time period.
Don't mess with mother nature, she will win.
Have a safe trip.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #10

Be prepared to winterize when you get there.
Nappanee weather forecast is unseasonably COLD and some SNOW the next few days.

Just north in SW Michigan forecast is 5-8 inches of lake effect snow by Friday evening in some areas.

Weather in Nappanee - AccuWeather Forecast for IN 46550
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are taking the stuff to winterize with you I would not winterize until I got closer. As long as the overnight temperatures are above 30 you will be fine. You may get some icing in the lines but not freezing hard enough to break stuff.

It is easy to observe the icing as you will find the water will run slow when the tap is first opened and then pick up in speed as the ice crystals are dissolved by the moving water. If that happens it is time to winterize.

Listen to the weather reports for the area you are in.

You have to be prepared to "pull the plug" at any time. You may have to winterize on the road. Inconvenient but doable.

I winterize by blowing out the lines with compressed air and then filling the lines with pink
Old 11-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We were living at Newmar for five days at 1* weather and snow off the lakes we survived.
Full tank LP, bought down the street and furnace running with fresh water in tank.
Left there and traveled to FL. and came back to Newmar under the same conditions with furnace still running.
Tech'shut it off while in garage.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
DJJ

Going to Nappanee, IN, can I wait to winterize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
We were living at Newmar for five days at 1* weather and snow off the lakes we survived.

Full tank LP, bought down the street and furnace running with fresh water in tank.

Left there and traveled to FL. and came back to Newmar under the same conditions with furnace still running.

Tech'shut it off while in garage.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for, someone with first hand experience in a Newmar RV.
Not meaning that I don't appreciate everyone's else's advice. Just nice to here from someone's first hand experience.

Jeff
Old 11-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have a well insulated coach as all Newmars are never had a freeze up on any of my Newmars during winter operation.
For the water bay fiberglass floor you can place insulation or insulated blanket to make that area warmer.

Tags
winter