Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #1

Good Sam extended Service...

I am considering Good Sam extended warranty Insurance since we are going on a long trip. I was just going to get basic coverage just for catastrophic breakdowns. Plan is much cheaper then what was offered by my dealer.
Used motohome 2004.
However the sales person from Good Sam is trying to sell me on the extra seals and gasket coverage.
Does anybody know exactly where this would come in handy.

I SEARCHED THE FORUM FOR INFO ON EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE AND COULD NOT FIND ANY!
ace66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ace66,
You will need to ask the sales person for policy documentation on this option. I have an 05. There has been little seal leakage and easily/cheaply repaired. However not knowing what the documentation says it is not possible to make a recommendation.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace66 View Post
However the sales person from Good Sam is trying to sell me on the extra seals and gasket coverage.
Does anybody know exactly where this would come in handy.
Talk about a timely post. I don't have a Good Sam policy but I do have an extended service contract with another provider. They also offered an optional Seals and Gaskets coverage, which I accepted.

My engine was just diagnosed with a possible leaking head gasket (to be determined for sure by a dye test in a couple of weeks). My policy expires in November, and at this point I have recovered approximately 75% of what I paid for the contract. The head gasket repair, if that's what it turns out to be, will definitely put me over the top as that repair on its own will cost more than I paid for the contract.

However GaryKD is correct. Make sure you get a copy of the contract before signing or paying anything, and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Pay particular attention to the details of what is not covered.

Also, if they offer it, I would recommend Consequential Damage Coverage, which should contain wording similar to the following:

Optional Non-Covered Part Cause of Loss: In the event a Breakdown occurs on a Covered Part under the Service Contract due to the failure of a non-Covered Part, the Covered Part will be repaired (as an exception to the standard exclusion).

Optional Covered Part Cause of Loss: The non-Covered Part will be repaired (as an exception to the standard exclusion).
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Also make sure that somewhere in the fine print it does not say that repairs can not exceed the total cost of the service contract. Sounds odd, but I remember seeing posts on (I think) FMCA that said someone got taken by that.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thug might want to get a quote from Wholesale Warranties also.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service