Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 05:52 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
got it home

Good morning
Well we got our new to us 2003 kountry star home. Steering to me seemed kind of lose like wandering on the highway. The coach was totally empty & they put 100psi in front tires & 110 in the rear don't know if that had something to do with it or not.
The back-up camera is a joke i hope they make A replacement for it as i used it A lot in my last two MHs (class Cs)
Now comes the big learning curve as the guy I got it from did not know much about how to do things as he took it in to be winterized & unwinterized so lost of reading & asking you guys & gals for help LOL
Todays project is to check the slider motor bolts that i read about on this forum & figure out the leverels as they are the manual ones, then read about the
unwinterizing wish me luck LOL
ps its A gasser.
Floyd
Floyd2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 06:00 AM   #2

Congrats on the new coach. Coaches are a lot like a marriage. It takes a little while to learn what each other likes and doesn't like.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:52 AM   #3

Congrats! PSI sounds a little high on the rears but not knowing length and model, tire size, or weight of coach that is just a wild guess anyway.

Is that on a Ford F-53 chassis?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
getting there

it's on A workhorse w-22 frame 34 ft kountry star.
Well getting there slow but sure. looks like the living room slider isn't going out all the wayni think it needs to go out about an inch more as i can pit my finger between the robber seal & the wall. I read up on it with the info i have & it says to turn A screw to adjust it but does not tell me were it's at. LOL
again thanks for your help.
Floyd
Old 04-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #5

Congrats on the new to you coach.Just take your time at learning what others have already discovered about it.There is a lot of good info on this forum.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum Floyd and congratulation on your gas Workhorse chassis coach.
First thing you need to do is get your tire pressures down to 95 psi fronts and 85 psi the four rears.
When you get your coach loaded with all your stuff and full tank of gas and water, LP you may than get coach weight and figuar out your psi for the tires using this information.
As to the motor slide bolts do not be in a hurry to tighten bolts they may be just fine my 03 never had a problem.
Will give you some links with information you will need to follow..
Workhorse chassis forum -- WH important information ---- OEMY's
Backup camera was fine on mine mounted just below the TV like a rear view mirror in your car.
Brochure --- Owners Guide
You can see some MODS and upgrades done in my KS at the end of the QT's 1 & 2 link.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
As you say lots of reading, enjoy your Newmar and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:52 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
slide out

Thanks 007 for all the links but have been to them A few times & have not found A fix for my problem.
I will drop down my tire PSI as you recommended
thanks for your help
Floyd
Old 04-26-2018, 05:33 AM   #8

Scheduled a service with Freightliner / Gaffney SC two months in advance for October 2017.

Wonderful people and well-trained technicians.

Had our coach weighed, techs specified 105 front and 90 rear.

Techs suggested replacement of track bar as ends showed wear which helped with "loose" steering.
clayfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfeet View Post
Scheduled a service with Freightliner / Gaffney SC two months in advance for October 2017.

Wonderful people and well-trained technicians.

Had our coach weighed, techs specified 105 front and 90 rear.

Techs suggested replacement of track bar as ends showed wear which helped with "loose" steering.
I'm curious. What are your coach weights for front and rear?
My coach weighs way more in the rear than front> my engine is in the front. I think your signature says you have a DP, motor in back. I would think your rear weight would be much more than front. So I'm thinking your tire pressures should be reversed. I'm still learning, so help me out here please. Thank you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Larry you need to read the tire inflation link to adjust your tire pressures you have four rear tires and they will be less than your front tires.

"FLOYD" the high tire pressures you had will cause your tire footprint on the road surface not to grip the road and wander and noise level will be increased.
You short chassis may feel the wind and bus, truck traffic push you around, first thing I did with my 03 was to put Blistien shocks all around and a rear torque bar on rear axle. made a big difference driving in Cruise Control with my big steering wheel option, pleasure to drive.
The new shocks stopped the front end porpoising problem, which where put on the 04 chassis's later. If your handy you can install yourself and save some money.
As to winterizing you will find that information in this link among other things.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:12 AM   #11

" Larry you need to read the tire inflation link to adjust your tire pressures you have four rear tires and they will be less than your front tires "

Ok thanks 007.
I think about tire pressures pretty often and I have printed sheets from Toyo giving load and what pressures. As usual for me, I am probably over thinking it.
Here is a question for all.
Why do the tires only say MAX pressure. Why not give both MIN and MAX??
I believe on my charts I can't go below 80psi. But I needed the chart to know that.
Thanks. I have some more Thinking to do, LOL.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #12

I had a Workhorse W-22 chassis on my last coach. After getting things weighed I was running 85 in the fronts and 82 in the rears. Huge difference. I also did the shocks that 007 discussed, plus I did a steering assist. All 3 things made a noticeable improvement, none bigger that the tire pressure though.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #13

I am going to beg forgiveness before I start my post.

Seriously 82 in the rear and 85 in the front? The difference between what side of the coach the Sun is on will be 5 or ten pounds.

Just dont go over the mfg's max rating and keep letting five or so pounds out until the ride improves to your liking. People fill their tires to exactly the right pressure after months of research and then head West stopping for the night in Wyoming at 6000 ft plus where the temp. is 30 degrees at eight AM when they pull out. Three nights later they are pulling into Phoenix at 117 degrees and 1500 feet above sea level. Never checked the tires once!!!

And all the way they are patting themselves on the back for doing all the research to get the tire pressure just right. Measuring with a Chinese made gage with a 25% tolerance either way.

I am not saying not to check the tire pressure...I just think it is way "overthunk"!!!

My apoligies to all who have become obsessed with tire pressure. JMHO
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote