Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
Got Stuck - Twice!!

Was at a gorgeous little and very basic campground weekends of June 24 and left the coach there for Jul 1 weekend. First weekend the host said why don't you move here nice spot. Got in there, too many mosquitos and went to drive out. Soft ground and front wheels dug in. I know enough to not spin the wheels when there is no traction. 3 hours later we got the rear up on small portable rig mats using the hydraulic leveling jacks. Out she came with air off the tag. So we moved to higher ground and left the coach there for a week and returned last weekend. Hells bells the wheels settled into the grass only about two inches and she spun again . Called Good Sam and in rural nowhere Alberta I had a tow 1-1/2 hours later. It only needed a 1 ton pickup truck tug and away she went.
My big gripe is (and I have driven big rigs before) is why can we not have diff lock standard in these coaches? Big rigs lock wheel to wheel and diff to diff so all 4 drive. In both cases (second case for sure) I would have gotten out with both wheels driving. Moral of the story: No more cute grass campsites for this boy unless it is green astro carpet over concrete.

Boy do I have good things to say about Good Sam. First time I ever used them. Thanks to all those people who helped.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Glad you posted, maybe others can learn that these rigs put a lot of weight on relatively a small 'footprint.'

I'm sure you could get the differential lock-up installed --- if you want to pay for it. After the first experience of soft ground, you could have parked on planks to spread the weight out a bit. Another option would be to put cable chains on the drive tires to get out of a 2" depression.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
One trick that sometimes helps is to dump the tag air. Adds a bit of traction to the drive.

Are the tires original? It could be the tires have oxidized enough to be slippery.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TiresRollin View Post
3 hours later we got the rear up on small portable rig mats using the hydraulic leveling jacks.
What are "portable rig mats"?
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
What are "portable rig mats"?
I doubt you would find these in FL.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rig_mat
Old 07-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Glad you posted, maybe others can learn that these rigs put a lot of weight on relatively a small 'footprint.'

I'm sure you could get the differential lock-up installed --- if you want to pay for it.
I don't believe you can get a diff. lock on a single drive axle. I've only seen them on tandem drive axles.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
I don't believe you can get a diff. lock on a single drive axle. I've only seen them on tandem drive axles.
I have no idea what differential the OP has, but auto locking, manual locking, and limited slip differentials are certainly available on single drive axles. As I said, you just have to decide to pay for it. He could also install solenoid valves on the rear brake cans that would apply the brake to the spinning wheel, transferring more power to the wheel with traction. All these strategies are used by off road vehicles all the time, plus some others I've not listed.

If you want to park on the grass in a region that is subject to heavy frost in winter, you can expect soft ground and settling of a vehicle parked on that grass, even for a short time.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #8

Tandem drive axle trucks have inter-axle locks, very common.

Between tandem axles are a differential. If in mud only one wheel would spin. The lock, locks the foward tandem axle to the rear tandem axle. With that locked, you still only had 1 wheel per axle spinning in mud.

Differental locks are avalable in single and tandem axle trucks but are not as common. They would lock the differential so both wheel of each axle would spin. Now you had some traction.

I once ordered a tandem axle Freightliner chassis with all wheel drive. Mack offered it also, but not with a drop frame. I needed to keep the load low.

It took 3 steps to lock it in. First you added the front axle thru the transfer case. If needed, you then switched the air control for the differential lock, locking all three axle differentials. Last was the air control for the inter-axle lock, locking the rear 2 together. Then you could spin 10 wheels in the mud. It rarely got stuck.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Back in the day we had an old school bus converted a MH. We used to use it to go to ski hills. As a very low level aide we carried a length of 3/4 inch nylon rope. If we were "stuck" we would take the rope and wind it around the tire through the holes in the outside rims. We only used it once after being snowed in overnight. Worked OK.