Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #15

Another vote for the 1090. The versatility and selection of information is great. We've had little to no issues with it. The co-pilot always has Google maps open on a phone or tablet. All stops are scoped out before we get there, we have very little confusion on how to get into and out of a stop before we get there.

Remember never, never trust a GPS routing system to be 100% accurate. Always look at your route in it's entirety before you get on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I have a Garmin 890 on the dash of my F 150. An interesting fact - 3 of us caravanned across Ontario, Canada, all with different Garmins set to the same avoidances. All insisted on different routes.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #17

I do not have any experience with a Garmin 1090. However, I have experimented with the RV 770 a lot. I can offer suggestions how to manipulate it a little.

The 770 has lots of tools. One is a “car” and “RV” mode. The car mode works a little like the older NUVI. It has better voice and voice instructions. It plots reasonably routes. Most GPS devices plot a “good enough” car route. They rarely plot the absolute best car route. Each one tends to plot the same route as it did before, but not always. Different models may or may not be all updated to the same maps and certainly have different search algorithms. Some have traffic avoidance activated. Some do not.

The 770 car mode can easily use “way points” to modify the route. However, you must know the proper “moves” to make it work.

The 770 RV mode does not work the same. You can input size and weight and get better advice in that regard. However, the RV mode avoids local, county, state, and often Federal number highways.

If there is an interstate within maybe 5 to 10 miles it will go out of its way to use it. A 5 block city distance may route 5 miles to an interstate, 3 miles to next exit, and 5 miles back to a local destination.

Trying to use way points with the RV mode is a loosing proposition. Sometimes I tried to take a shortcut using a way point. The 770 routed me to the way point and then U-turned back to the interstate.

I assume the RV mode is using truck routes. I don’t know all the truck route rules, but I assume local roads are forbidden unless your destination is on that road. On the other hand, I can’t believe trucks are banned from state highways, and the 770 strongly avoids many of them.

My solution is to use my 770 in car mode. I watch road signs for low bridges, weight limits, and such. This seems to work OK in the mid-west where tunnels, low bridges, and “parkways” are almost none existent. My strategy may not work as well for a 40 foot motor coach.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #18

United States GPS satellite system.

The United States GPS satellite system is not all that accurate. Where many roads pass close to one another, the GPS device must guess which road the user is on.

100 yards may be all you get. Better accuracy comes with more satellites in view and less radio interference. City highways are doubly challenged. They are often close together and there is often high levels of all sorts of radio interference. Rain, clouds, and other environmental effects you may not be able to see can also decrease accuracy temporarily or permanently for a given place. I found one place next to a car wash that had no reception.

Except for the necessary "guessing algorithms", these limitations apply no matter what GPS system you use. However there is a newer EU system that some GPS systems combine with the US system that may get better accuracy.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
The United States GPS satellite system is not all that accurate. Where many roads pass close to one another, the GPS device must guess which road the user is on.

100 yards may be all you get. Better accuracy comes with more satellites in view and less radio interference. City highways are doubly challenged. They are often close together and there is often high levels of all sorts of radio interference. Rain, clouds, and other environmental effects you may not be able to see can also decrease accuracy temporarily or permanently for a given place. I found one place next to a car wash that had no reception.

Except for the necessary "guessing algorithms", these limitations apply no matter what GPS system you use. However there is a newer EU system that some GPS systems combine with the US system that may get better accuracy.

Exactly. Many times the “errors” users report coming from their GPS isn’t the fault of the maps or software…. It’s a poor satellite signal. I have been places (seems mostly far North East locations) where the GPS gets “confused” and shows my location on the wrong road, or even 100 yards away from the road where there is NO ROAD !

It is still one of the most life changing technologies of my lifetime, and I am very grateful for its existence (flaws and all)
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Exactly. Many times the “errors” users report coming from their GPS isn’t the fault of the maps or software…. It’s a poor satellite signal. I have been places (seems mostly far North East locations) where the GPS gets “confused” and shows my location on the wrong road, or even 100 yards away from the road where there is NO ROAD !

It is still one of the most life changing technologies of my lifetime, and I am very grateful for its existence (flaws and all)

How true!
We were travelling in Maine in a car, and our Garmin showed us well off a 2 lane county road and travelling at a brisk 108 MPH.

Tim
Old 09-27-2022, 04:58 PM   #21

I've tried to use our indash RandMcNally which probably cost $1000's. After properly configuring for highway, tolls, no-dirt, heights, etc., it still routes us off major interstates to business/frontage roads and even city streets then back on interstate. We did update firmware/sim card with same results. I prefer Waze on my iphone.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:50 PM   #22

I am very anti Garmin. Years ago I paid $100 for the “Lifetime Map Update” only to have them discontinue the device updates 3 years later. When I called them I tried to explain I still use the device and I’m still alive. They told me they were sorry and didn’t offer any remedy.

I now use an iPad mini with gps and cellular with the RV Life app as my route planning and navigation.

Works great because I can split screen it and run Waze side by side to give me road warning alerts such as debris on the road. Plus I can Bluetooth my music apps over my RV stereo system.
1RetiredFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:18 AM   #23

I run the Garmin RV 760LMT in ours and it's mostly trustworthy with its directions as they take into account our weight, height and width as well as its pairing with an app on my phone for traffic/road condition updates. I trust it far more than I do Google/Waze or the rand mcnally in-dash, etc when it comes to our MH. I recall an issue we were having with the 760, last year (ended up being my fault for placing a magnet mount too close to the GPS antenna and it was interfering) where it would lose GPS signal and had to rely on google, which ended up in us being routed on a road with an 11' clearance and ultimately resulted in doing a U-Turn on a 2-lane state highway.
On a stand-alone unit, it's important to ensure that you're continually updating the maps and software and trust it, but more importantly verify what it's telling you against road signs and your intuition!
Old 09-29-2022, 08:07 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
What are you using for GPS Navigation?

I am using the Garmin RV 770 that is 5 years old. After driving through several metropolitan areas I am very frustrated with its lack of good directions, lane change notice, etc. And, it is very difficult to program routes with via points.

Is anyone using a Apple iPad or iPad Mini? It seems that Google Maps would provide better routing and driving instructions.

I am interested in your recommendations for a state of the art navigation system. And, I have no in-dash system so that is not an option.

Thanks,

Rex
I use an iPad Air3 10.5" along with a trucker atlas. Plus Pay attention to the road in front of me. Safe travels everyone
tdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:11 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
What are you using for GPS Navigation?

I am using the Garmin RV 770 that is 5 years old. After driving through several metropolitan areas I am very frustrated with its lack of good directions, lane change notice, etc. And, it is very difficult to program routes with via points.

Is anyone using a Apple iPad or iPad Mini? It seems that Google Maps would provide better routing and driving instructions.

I am interested in your recommendations for a state of the art navigation system. And, I have no in-dash system so that is not an option.

Thanks,

Rex
When was the last time you updated the software on it?
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:42 AM   #26

GPS Navigation System?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
When was the last time you updated the software on it?

Exactly! I update software and maps twice a year.

5 year old maps and software would not be reliable!
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:47 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post

Let’s see…I’m driving a 60’(with tow) at 58mph and my US based GPS provides 3-9meters accuracy and I should be concerned. Really?
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:19 PM   #28

I've been quite satisfied with using the Sygic GPS program on my Samsung tablet. The RV program is basically their truck program with certain modifications. You can enter the details of your rig so that the routing program should avoid any problems. I have found it to be a good program, but as with any GPS program it's a good idea to also check it with maps and have a good idea of how to get where your are going.

https://www.sygic.com/truck#
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps