Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2022, 01:53 PM   #29

RV 1090. We check it against Apple or Google maps when we have phone service. The Garmin sure came in handy a few places out west and in the GA/NC/TN mountains where we didn't have phone service. Of course nothing is perfect and we found a few places where GPS satellite view is blocked by mountains AND no phone service. Those don't usually last long.

The RV1090 came with a 1" ball accessory for compatibility with RAM mount equipment. I bought an extra Garmin magnetic mount and power cord, along with a RAM-mount ball and extension to quickly move the 1090 to my 2016 F150 Toad when we go on an excursion in it. The ball is mounted in bottom of the dash tray.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2022, 04:22 PM   #30

I mount my large iPad Pro up in the windshield and use RV Trip Wizard/RVLife GPS. The display is much larger than the in dash and the directions flow with my planned trip information that is stored within the app.
LynneLash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:51 PM   #31

I have used the Garmin 770 for almost 4 years and rate it about a 2 to 3 out of 5. It has frequently given me wrong directions...I know that I need to go right and it tells me to go left...and I have had problems in the past with it recalculating my direction if I chose to go on a different route than it wants to go. I will look into the later Garmin recommended by one of the bloggers here.

As a side note, Newmar charged over $2,000 for the radio and GPS in my 2019 Ventana and both are junk...particularly the GPS. I am surprised with the decisions made by Newmar in choosing crummy equipment for their supposed high quality motorhomes.
Ken-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
What are you using for GPS Navigation?

I am using the Garmin RV 770 that is 5 years old. After driving through several metropolitan areas I am very frustrated with its lack of good directions, lane change notice, etc. And, it is very difficult to program routes with via points.

Is anyone using a Apple iPad or iPad Mini? It seems that Google Maps would provide better routing and driving instructions.

I am interested in your recommendations for a state of the art navigation system. And, I have no in-dash system so that is not an option.

Thanks,

Rex
The Garmin chip is updatable
I did mine on their site on my laptop a while
There maybe a fee after five years
Old 10-05-2022, 05:51 AM   #33

My Garmin DEZL 700 is working fine but since I leave mine in the front window I purchased the extended warranty. I have been through two "car" GPSs after just a couple years each.

Van and Vicki
2008 Newmar Ventana 40'
no toad
VanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:51 AM   #34

We use the Gremlin 780 with a backup of our phone's GPS via Google. I have to ask if you have received all the latest updates with your Gremlin? Our software had been updated a few times since we got it and is pretty accurate. It alerts us to sharp curves ahead, alternative routes and speed limits.
Jim2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:53 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
We purchased a Garmin RV890 a couple of years ago and recently replaced it with an RV1090 which is easier to see when mounted a bit far from the driver (the two models seem to be identical except for the screen size). In well over 10,000 miles of driving, we have encountered very few times where the directions have been questionable. When nearing our destination, my wife sometimes double-checks the directions with Google Maps on her cell phone. They are usually the same but sometimes have trivial differences. The main advantage to using a true GPS is that it is not dependent on cell service which can be a major advantage in remote areas. Many times we have found the GPS maps to be accurate, even on minor roads, when there is no cell service at all. Having been through a number of GPS units over many years (including Magellan, Rand McNally and older Garmin models), we've found the 890/1090 models to be far superior to anything we've ever had. Because of the ease of updating with nothing more than the built-in WiFi receiver, it is very easy to keep both the maps and the software current. I very much recommend these units!
BobSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:48 PM   #36

As the OP of this thread, the posts left me with no clear answer for a better GPS so I continued to use the Garmin RV 770. I am also using my iPhone on Google Maps and my wife's iPhone on Apple Maps for backup route directions. I use the best two of the three when in conflict.

I recently drove I-29 North through Omaha, NE. There is Interstate construction on the north side of Omaha. The Garmin told me to do a U-Turn and the two iPhones told me to continue on the I-29 detour to the access road for 5 miles. I am glad I am not relying on the Garmin RV 770 solely for route guidance.

And because setting via points are so difficult in the Garmin, I am using the iPhone with Google Maps to set Via points for rest stops along the trip.

In this day of high technology, it is sad that Garmin cannot make a decent GPS for RV use.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:43 PM   #37

GPS Navigation System?

Quote:
As the OP of this thread, the posts left me with no clear answer for a better GPS so I continued to use the Garmin RV 770. I am also using my iPhone on Google Maps and my wife's iPhone on Apple Maps for backup route directions. I use the best two of the three when in conflict.

I recently drove I-29 North through Omaha, NE. There is Interstate construction on the north side of Omaha. The Garmin told me to do a U-Turn and the two iPhones told me to continue on the I-29 detour to the access road for 5 miles. I am glad I am not relying on the Garmin RV 770 solely for route guidance.

And because setting via points are so difficult in the Garmin, I am using the iPhone with Google Maps to set Via points for rest stops along the trip.

In this day of high technology, it is sad that Garmin cannot make a decent GPS for RV use.

Have you updated your 770 to the latest maps and software?
Do you link the 770 via Bluetooth to your phone and run the Garmin Smart Link app on the phone for traffic updates?
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:01 PM   #38

Yes, I have the RV 770 updated software and maps. Not sure what your are talking about with the Garmin Smart Link.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:10 PM   #39

GPS Navigation System?

Quote:
Yes, I have the RV 770 updated software and maps. Not sure what your are talking about with the Garmin Smart Link.

You pair your phone via Bluetooth to the 770. Then you open the Garmin Smartlink app on your phone.

The Smartlink app gets traffic info over the internet and then feeds this to the 770.

Name:   IMG_0060.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  14.5 KB

Here is a link to the 770 manual describing the process.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...0_OM_EN-US.pdf
Old 10-10-2022, 09:27 PM   #40

The Garmin RV 770 came with lifetime traffic updates. Is there any reason to link to Google as well?
Old 10-11-2022, 06:50 AM   #41

Quote:
The Garmin RV 770 came with lifetime traffic updates. Is there any reason to link to Google as well?
Absolutely!!!!!!

Garmin Smart Link or Garmin Drive both use up to the minute travel updates to alert you to ever changing road conditions. By merely updating your map you will/may not have the most current conditions.

Your post above is a perfect example.

Oh BYTW, I never "just" trust any GPS/Mapping system.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:21 AM   #42

Quote:

I think you mean lifetime map updates in your above post. What the Garmin Smartlink App does is provide real-time TRAFFIC and road conditions data…. It is NOT linking to google (at least not directly, they do not disclose WHERE they get their traffic and road closure data as far as I know)

Tags
gps