Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2022, 04:13 PM   #1

GPS Navigation System?

What are you using for GPS Navigation?

I am using the Garmin RV 770 that is 5 years old. After driving through several metropolitan areas I am very frustrated with its lack of good directions, lane change notice, etc. And, it is very difficult to program routes with via points.

Is anyone using a Apple iPad or iPad Mini? It seems that Google Maps would provide better routing and driving instructions.

I am interested in your recommendations for a state of the art navigation system. And, I have no in-dash system so that is not an option.

Thanks,

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #2

GPS Navigation System?

I use the Garmin 1090 on top of the dash. Wife doubles with Google on her phone for back up. I also still run and trust my OE Clarion in dash as I keep it updated.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:06 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I use the Garmin 1090 on top of the dash. Wife doubles with Google on her phone for back up. I also still run and trust my OE Clarion in dash as I keep it updated.
Exactly what we do though no GPS is 100 % accurate we're satisfied with our 1090. Our coach also comes with and in dash GPS as well but it's small and the DW can't see it for an extra set of eyes. I always check the route for thr most part via Google satellite especially street view for gas stations. One thing I found out that though you may set your route up in the GPS on the day you turn it on to travel it recalculated and can have a different outer so it pays to check out the day of travel.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:07 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I run a Kenwood in dash radio with Garmin. I also have a Magellan mounted to the grab rail next to the passenger seat. I like having the dash unit running with lane change directions. If we need to find something in between our destination, my wife will use the Magellan.

If there is a discrepancy, we'll check both units.

I always set mine to "Fastest" versus "Shortest". The shortest will often take you through neighborhoods versus main roads.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:59 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

Is the Garmin 1090 superior to the RV 770? Does it provide lane change guidance? Is it easy to add via points to a route?
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:15 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Garmin that came with my Kenwood has the lanes identified as you approach intersections or interchanges.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
GPS Navigation System?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
What are you using for GPS Navigation?……
I am interested in your recommendations for a state of the art navigation system…….
The best nav system available is between your ears. We preview the day’s route on Google maps before AM departure, then the driver pays attention and reads the road signs while the non-driver monitors progress with Google maps on the phone.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:31 AM   #8

GPS Navigation System?

We have the same Garmin 770 you have and use it every trip. I believe it gives good routes and lane change guidance. Not sure what issues you are having with it?

Have you kept the maps and internal software up to date? I update mine at least twice a year, and the updates are free.

Do NOT use google or Apple Maps for RV routing unless you have a really small class B which is barely bigger than a car…..you need a RV GPS to keep you safe from low bridges, and other routes that are not suitable for a large RV
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Is the Garmin 1090 superior to the RV 770? Does it provide lane change guidance? Is it easy to add via points to a route?
Yes, I had the 770 and it was problematic. I have had the 1090 for almost two years no, far superior. You can add stops along the way. Lane change info is given also.
Also wireless updates, just needs wifi and power.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I also have the Garmin 1090. Once I added my size, it’s been very good at routing and lane notices. If we want to stop along the way, my wife finds a place on her phone using Apple Maps. Then, she can use the garmin drive app to share the waypoint directly with the 1090 and it will add it as a waypoint to the already underway guidance.
Mighty_J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:18 AM   #11

Don’t know how it compares to other Garmin models I just like the 10” screen.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:53 AM   #12

DS Don, DO you know the model # of your Kenwood? Can you enter variables such as height and weight?
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:43 PM   #13

Use the Garmin RV660 in my Jeep just recently updated it and works like a champ Bought it for the RV before I got it but it works in car mode as well. Frankly they all suck somewhat but it gets you there eventually.

Never did pull the trigger on the RV and so glad I didn't given the present and future drama to come. Decided to go mostly off grid (solar) in a cabin on 30 plus acres in the woods in Vermont Money better spent. Hope this helps. God Bless.

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:51 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My garmin also seems hit or miss especially with which lane to stay in at on/off ramps. At least in the mountains, it has also been slow to update our position. First time caused us to miss a turn. Now we use other apps to check ahead and review the night before.

I did notice driving the jeep with CarPlay that Apple maps seems to show more map, more stay in this lane images than Google maps. Google clutters the display more too. My opinion and maybe just where I was traveling.

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps