Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #1

Gray tank sensors reading incorrectly

We have a 2017 Bay Star, when I emptied the tanks last week, the gray tank is still reading 2/3. I let it drain for 10 minutes so I know it was empty. We had this problem before when it was in warranty and they replaced the sensors (about 7 months ago).

These are the touchsensor that mount on the outside of the tank with the digi-level gauge.

In case it might have something stuck on the inside, (not sure what that would be), I added some happy camper tank treatment to the tank and I am going to let it fill up to the shower drain.
If I touch the top sensor, it will read full, so I know at least that sensor is working.
Anyone have other suggestions of things to try or check?
The black and fresh tank are reading correctly.

thank you
Don
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 05:44 AM   #2

We have had good luck with adding about a cup of dish soap to the tanks after filling them about 1/2 full. We then drive to the next location. The constant movement of liquid in the tanks somewhat simulates the agitation of a washing machine. When we get to our destination, I drain the tanks. Keeps problems and odors at bay.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:01 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi dnhxx,
Have you tried calibrating the sensors? It is a PITA but works for me. Depending on the control panel you have there should be a way to mark the sensors when the tank is empty and then when it is full. There are instructions in all the stuff Newmar gave you with the coach.

How mine works:
1. Make sure the tank is empty. Press the "E" button with a paper clip end.
2. Fill the tank. This is the PITA part. I use a 5 gallon bucket. Yea, 5 gallons at a time until 60 gallons (tank capacity) is reached.
3. Press the "F" button.

The sensors are now calibrated. I have only had to do this 2 times over 13 years. Don't know why they need it but it works for me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most likely it is crud in your grey tank. Over the years we have added a cup of liquid automatic dishwasher detergent in a half tank of water before a drive. This worked for us a few times. Also Dawn dish detergent with Borax before a drive works well.

Lately, we have been using Happy Camper regularly and haven't had problems.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

Our model of the digi-level display does not have a calibration
https://precisioncircuitsinc.com/pro...nd-lp-monitor/

But I did calibrate the tank using a 2 gallon bucket and moved all the sensors so that they displayed closer to 1/3, 2/3, and full. The tanks Newmar uses are a sloping L shape (they sent me a drawing), but they place the sensors at equal intervals on the front. By no means is it calibrated from the factory, ours did read 1/3 after only 4 gallons, and full was at 40 gallons.

After letting the tank sit full with 3 scoops of happy camper, it now reads 1/3 full after I emptied it. I will add more happy camper and see what happens the next time- we are parked for one more week. I will also verify that it is the bottom sensor that is tripped.

thanks everyone
Old 11-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #6

I agree that it is usually crud that gets built up on the tank. We often think of all the nasty stuff that goes into our black tanks, but with a lot of use my gray seems to get pretty nasty also.

When we move there is always a packet of tank cleaner dissolved in the gray plus 10 to 15 gallons of water. It is amazing what that water looks like when I empty at the next site.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #7

Instead of toiling with a gallon bucket you might consider this water meter.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Wa...05489792:cool:
fhmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #8

Here is a better link to the water meter.

fhmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The sensors are held on with double sided tape. They are not hard to remove and replace. You can take the middle sensor off the tank to test. If the sensor reads 2/3 full when it is not near anything you have a bad sensor and you would replace the string of three sensors.

This is based on my 2017 Bay Star.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #10

It is the middle sensor that is tripping. When I emptied the tank, it was the one causing the 1/3 reading. I will see what is does next time the tank is emptied. We are going 400 miles next week. I will pop it off and see if it still reads 1/3.
Can I buy the sensors somewhere besides Newmar?
Old 11-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #11

last update.

I used a hair dryer to pop the sensor off the tank (this way I can stick it back on). It read empty, so that tells me for sure that the tank is dirty.

I bought some Happy Camper Extreme Cleaner and add about 1/4-1/3 of that to 10 gallons of water (the rest I will use on the black tank). Plus, I used the tip from the RVGeeks, How To Clean an RV Gray Tank & Sensors - TheRVgeeks.
About a cup of soap spread out on the two sinks and shower, and another 8 gallons or so of hot water down the drain.
Then we drove about 400 miles, emptied the tank, and it read empty!

From now on I will use some happy camper in the gray tank every 3 or 4 tank and the dishwashing soap once in a while to keep the tank clean.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnhxx View Post
last update.

I used a hair dryer to pop the sensor off the tank (this way I can stick it back on). It read empty, so that tells me for sure that the tank is dirty.

I bought some Happy Camper Extreme Cleaner and add about 1/4-1/3 of that to 10 gallons of water (the rest I will use on the black tank). Plus, I used the tip from the RVGeeks, How To Clean an RV Gray Tank & Sensors - TheRVgeeks.
About a cup of soap spread out on the two sinks and shower, and another 8 gallons or so of hot water down the drain.
Then we drove about 400 miles, emptied the tank, and it read empty!

From now on I will use some happy camper in the gray tank every 3 or 4 tank and the dishwashing soap once in a while to keep the tank clean.
You're on the right track. Now that you have it cleaned, tank maintenance is the ticket.
I've used HC for years and never have an issue with my tank sensors.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnhxx View Post
last update.

It sounds like you leave your gray tank valve closed? When hooked up, I leave mine open. Black closed, grey open. Makes me wonder what the rest of you do?

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:13 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
It sounds like you leave your gray tank valve closed? When hooked up, I leave mine open. Black closed, grey open. Makes me wonder what the rest of you do?

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

-B

I leave both closed and open them to pump with Sanicon. Always black first, then close the valve, then gray.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, tank