RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #1

Great water flow

I have suspected that the poor water flow in my coach was more about the hose reel and less about the plumbing itself. I recently stayed in a park with 110 psi at the hose bib. My whole “house” type regulator is after the hose reel, so the reel and hose were seeing the 110psi. Regulator is set to a maximum of 60psi.
We noticed significantly better performance, enough so that my wife commented on the water. Not sure what can be done, but it appears that the hose reel is a flow restrictor. Maybe a 5/8” incoming hose might help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I have suspected that the poor water flow in my coach was more about the hose reel and less about the plumbing itself. I recently stayed in a park with 110 psi at the hose bib. My whole “house” type regulator is after the hose reel, so the reel and hose were seeing the 110psi. Regulator is set to a maximum of 60psi.
We noticed significantly better performance, enough so that my wife commented on the water. Not sure what can be done, but it appears that the hose reel is a flow restrictor. Maybe a 5/8” incoming hose might help.
If the pressure is set for 60 and you see 60 on a gauge after the regulator that is what you get. The pressure regulator is the restriction. Not sure what flow rate your regulator is but as I understand some have a higher flow rating.

Canuck53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #3

Water pressure and flow-rate are independent things. You can have high pressure, but a low flow-rate. And you can have low pressure, but a high flow-rate. I think that in many cases, people complaining of low pressure, are actually suffering from a low flow-rate.

Here's a very quick test. When you first turn a faucet or shower on full-blast, do you get a burst of high-pressure water, and then the pressure dwindles away to a dribble? If so, this is a prime example of high pressure, but low flow-rate. Your system has pressure, but only a little water can actually flow through your pipes. This pretty much means you've got a restriction somewhere. And it also means that for the most part, increasing pressure won't improve your flow-rate much if any.

Have you tried bypassing your hose reel? I'd try that. I can see several reasons a hose reel could restrict your flow-rate.

1) How much hose is on the reel? The more hose on the reel, the more flow-rate restriction.

2) What's the hose diameter on the reel? 1/2" hose has a lower flow-rate than 5/8" hose. And the longer the 1/2" hose is, the lower the flow-rate.

3) How soft is the hose? If the hose is soft, it'll flatten on the reel -- particularly if you roll it up when it was hot outside. And the harder you pull on the hose, the flatter it'll roll up. So even if you have a 5/8" hose, if it's soft and has flattened on the reel -- its flow-rate has decreased -- perhaps significantly.

4) I don't know your reel, but many have a 90° fitting on the inside -- and then a short pig-tail hose that goes from the reel to the city water fitting. What's the I.D. of that 90° fitting? The smaller it is, the lower the flow-rate. And how about the diameter of the pig-tail hose from the reel to the city water fitting? Is it small diameter?

All that said, I've switched back to 7/16" hose in our coach because the 5/8" hose was harder to work with, harder to store, heavier, and the shower used more water. With an Oxygenics shower head, the lower flow-rate 7/16" hose is fine in our coach.
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #4

All great information from WoodyS. There is a lot to know and do to get good water pressure and flow. #1 is your water filters.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #5

Thanks for the input Woody. Tom, I will take a look at the filter. We are on our way back from Alaska and it could have some debris in it. I changed it before we left, but we were on well water quite a bit. Pressure regulator is a watts home type regulator.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post

What parts are needed to mount the water pressure regulator behind the reel? I imagine some type of connectors to get the regulator inline.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Neal C".....If I'm understanding what you're asking correctly, it's not necessarily behind the water reel in the literal sense, but after the water reel. Mine is mounted to the right sidewall of the wet bay, where Newmar installs their backflow valve. So mine is after the water reel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050132.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	217364
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Neal C".....If I'm understanding what you're asking correctly, it's not necessarily behind the water reel in the literal sense, but after the water reel. Mine is mounted to the right sidewall of the wet bay, where Newmar installs their backflow valve. So mine is after the water reel.

Attachment 217364

Thanks. Yeah I know it’s figuratively “behind” just wondered how to secure fittings. I have a shark bite kit but have yet to use it. Guess it’s time. Need to get garden hose male/female and however that will get secured. Off to Lowe’s tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Important to note that a lot of discussion is over pressure, what winepress is sharing sounds like more of an increase in volume, the high inlet pressure is forcing the reel hose to be more volumetrically efficient, likely causing the hose to expand, after the hose reel water flows through the same pressure regulator set at 60 PSI that he uses at all other camp locations.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #10

The hose reel is an issue I suspected for a while, but I had to wait for a Park with high pressure to see if the flow was increased while maintaining an acceptable house pressure. When I get home I will bypass it and see how the flow changes. Not sure who makes the reel, but maybe there are specs available
Old 09-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #11

Since the reel is before the regulator, an increase in pressure within the reel will deliver more volume of water to the regulator.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #12

I use the watts type regulator if you use the cheaper flow through type it is a restriction that slows flow only.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:16 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I set my pressure to achieve the desired flow in the coach. Some set their just too low (i.e. 40 PSI) and you'll just suffer. If you turn on your water pump and see an increase in flow (pressure) then your outside regulator is too low. A good rule of thumb (I just invented while typing) is that you should see no change from city water to water pump flow if your external regulator is set correctly. Some city water situations are not high enough pressure to begin with so this only applies to city water that can provide enough pressure (60+ PSI).

I just want to get my regulator off the end of my line and permanently mount it to get it out of my life. It's time and this is another small thing Newmar can do to ensure the protection of their customers and ensure when they drive off they have the right tools for success. Case in point is that seriously bad stinky slinky they provide with the coach and don't even provide a 90 degree elbow. These small cheap things represent Newmar's way of being cheap and not putting the customer on a higher level, but I digress.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:39 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
All great information from WoodyS. There is a lot to know and do to get good water pressure and flow. #1 is your water filters.
Newmar Man

If you are using pleated or string wound filter cartridges consider switching to grooved melt blown polypropylene cartridges. Some are graded density, meaning that larger particles are trapped on the outside and smaller on the inside. The grooving adds surface area leading to longer life as does the graded density design. Some cartridges are also available with scale inhibitor (polyphosphate) media, helpful in harder water.

GetOutZMap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water