Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you leave the grey valve open when parked at full hookups?
Yes 29 29.00%
No 58 58.00%
Depends 13 13.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 04:23 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Open. If doing laundry.
Else Closed. Till needing to dump.
This is what we do....

If I leave it open, it just trickles out under normal use.

I want the dump to "pull" any small particles, grease and soap scum that may collect and build up.

We take many precautions in the motor home versus when we are home as to what we send down the sink but the less than 5 minutes it takes to dump the grey - I believe it is better than always having to open.

Works for me.

g
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2020, 04:54 AM   #16
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Would occasionally leave it open until I saw several roaches in the sewer pipe of a Florida campground when hooking up. Have not left the valve open since.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:11 AM   #17

Close it day before we leave to get water for hose flush after dumping black tank.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2022 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:12 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I leave mine open. Years ago I met a man at a CG who used to leave it closed. He had a grandchild with him who inadvertently left a sink running. They were out for the day and when they returned water had flooded the inside of the coach. Why take that chance.
Same thing happened to my friend in his 5th wheel. Now he leaves it open, (it was an adult that left the water running.) I did have ants once come up through the sewer hose but now I always spray down with bug spray before I hook up to the park connection.
Dutchstar411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Perhaps a bit unique but...

We leave our grey valve open because we have a whole house reverse osmosis system and thus need to leave it open while making water. However, before that we also kept it open on FHU except for over night stays.

We also make a "P-trap" with the hose. I've heard on rare occasions some folks have reported that is against some local codes. I will deal with that if it ever presents itself.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #20

It appears by an overwhelming margin more folks prefer to keep their valve closed and so do we.

I tend to have more of a belt & suspenders attitude when it comes to the MH. Over the years we have been in many different parks all up and down the scale of good and bad. I’ve seen bugs and other things in sewer systems not to mention horrendous smells a few times.

So, I decided I preferred a barrier to not allow some things I would not like in my camper. There are times it’s not the most convenient.
I also turn off the water when we leave if we are using it, but usually we are running of the water tank. I prefer the more consistent water pressure of the pump plus I can control it easier.

It's just what we prefer.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #21

Close the valve.

"I also turn off the water when we leave if we are using it, but usually we are running of the water tank. I prefer the more consistent water pressure of the pump plus I can control it easier."

Turning off water is equally important. We once had a neighbor that left for the day and figured the cat turned the faucet. Filled the gray tank and flooded the floor.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Typically leave it closed. Have it open if doing several loads of laundry. I don’t like the soapy scum build up in the clear connectors.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #23

Turn off water

We are also one of the RVers who always turn off the water (either the pump or city water) whenever we leave the coach - even if just for a 30 minute walk around the campground. We've seen one RV with water pouring out of the basement and heard stories of others. Once you get in the habit of turning it off when you leave and back on upon your return, it is not a big deal. Those who routinely use the water pump have it easier (inside on/off switch).
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #24

Closed. I added a third gate valve on the dump outlet, and use the fuller gray tanks to backflush the black tank a few times when I dump. Watching the clear elbow, I see doing this flushes a lot more out of the black tank than a simple single dump does.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
Close it day before we leave to get water for hose flush after dumping black tank.

Enjoy the journey
We do the same as trapper2020, otherwise it is always open.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #26

Closed. How hard is it to go out and pull the grey handle to lower or empty the tank.
We don't have a clothes washer.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #27

Normally closed. I think the flush you get with a 2/3 full tank keeps it cleaner.
If I leave the grey open for some "short term" reason, I bend a trap into the sewer hose.
YMMV

Tags
valve, water