RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #1

Ground Satellite Connection?

We are getting ready to add a DISH tv plan. My question is if we wanted to purchase and use a playmaker/tailgater style satellite where do we wire it up to? I have looked in all of our storage bays and I don't see anything other than the cable TV connection. Do you use this connection? We have never had satellite tv before so I don't know what to do. That and we need to rebuild the Trav'ler on the roof to accept DISH instead of Direct TV. Any other ideas are always accepted. I want both options for satellites for when we park under trees.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
We are getting ready to add a DISH tv plan. My question is if we wanted to purchase and use a playmaker/tailgater style satellite where do we wire it up to? I have looked in all of our storage bays and I don't see anything other than the cable TV connection. Do you use this connection? We have never had satellite tv before so I don't know what to do. That and we need to rebuild the Trav'ler on the roof to accept DISH instead of Direct TV. Any other ideas are always accepted. I want both options for satellites for when we park under trees.
Carry out Satellite Dish connection is an option, not standard equipment. Newmar adds two coax connection points in the same box that CATV connection is in. If you look and only see one connector...the option wasn’t added during he build. If you do see it...then for each Satellite connector they added...at the other end of the coax, they will have added an A/B switch. The Dish receiver connects to the A/B switch, and this allows you to select between the rooftop traveler dish, or the carry out tripod dish.

They mount the CATV/Carry Out Dish connection box in the electric cord bay, normally.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a view of mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201125_130456.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	309254  
Old 11-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #4

Thanks Charlie, thats what I was afraid of.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
Thanks Charlie, thats what I was afraid of.
You can probably use one of those flat cable adapter and pass the cable thru a window...

The coax routing might not be impossible, just try to figure out where the transition is in the Gen bay up to thru the A-pillar to the overhead area...if that is where your Entertainment stuff is. I know sometime after 2016 they moved it to a cabinet in the Kitchen Slide.

If you have to go with the kitchen slide...there might be a cover, under the sink that protects an articulating wiring tray. It is segregated...hi voltage on one side, low voltage items on the other. I accessed this tray to run my Boogey Lights cords down to the controller I mounted in the basement.

The full wall slide has an articulating arm...and it houses a couple of channels filled with wires, etc, You might be able to fish stuff along the outer edge underneath the FWS...back to the bedroom for a hookup there.

We did Dish Pay-As-You-Go, a total of two different times. Most of the time we stream to our Amazon Fire Stick...and use OTA. About the only time I really wish for DISH, is if we are places like Bahia Honda...with almost zero OTA channels. I think we weíre just able to get one Spanish Language channel from Miami. Neither my wife or I are fluent in Spanish...so, it went right over our heads.

Some other places we have been where OTA was weak...were also so deeply wooded, it would be next to impossible to aim a Dish to avoid obstruction by trees or mountains.

I actually use my Carry out tripod connection with my WeBoost RV65 to boost our cell reception.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As long as they didn't install a splitter in the cable between your connector in the wet bay, and where it terminates in your electronics compartment, you can use the 'cable' hookup.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
As long as they didn't install a splitter in the cable between your connector in the wet bay, and where it terminates in your electronics compartment, you can use the 'cable' hookup.
They do...unfortunately... I havenít traced the coax...but I believe it goes from cord reel bay to the winegard antenna booster...which would be where you select OTA v. CATV...then to a splitter in the basement. The branch outputs go to a tv connections in the basement, the bedroom, the televator, the OVHD (opt.), and the Outdoor (opt.). At least...thatís my assumption based on the components I have seen.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #8

We use an external satellite sometimes and our coach did not come with the option in the electrical compartment. I just run the 50 ft cable up to the drivers window. We have the drivers powered window. We use foam pipe insulation to fill the gap in the window caused by the coax routing. Works great!
gsdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #9

We tried the cable connection on ours with the Dish and Wally setup. Getting a signal was a crap shoot and sometimes it wouldn't hold. I ran a cable from the Wally to a termination point under the front hood. It worked fine but we quit using Dish when we went to a Firestick. Again with dish you had to be away from trees so the Firestick was being used more than the dish anyway.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:32 AM   #10

Not according to the brochure

The 2017 Mountain Aire brochure states "Satellite Dish Prep on Roof" as a standard item.There is nothing under the options pertaining to satellite other than the dish's them selves. I imagine if prep is there then so is the cabling.

I would look at the TV's and see if I could figure out the HDMI cabling. Most of our TVs have an HDMI for the DVD player, HDMI for the satellite and coax for over the air.

Of course it is possible the brochure is not reflective of the actual standard features.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #11

Opps. Now I get it

Sorry I really didn't get what the OP was trying to do. Guess it was too early in the AM. If there is no external coax run where you can hook up to outside the rig I agree with what many said, try to drop a length of coax from behind your satellite receiver to ANYWHERE you will have access, storage bay, engine compartment. Almost always possible. Assuming you will be using the same receiver for either dish since it is connected to the TV's you will need an A/B switch for the back of the receiver. 2 in/1 out

Even as a last resort of coming through the window I would get an A/B switch or you will constantly need to access the rear of the receiver to swap coax.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #12

Thank you for all of the great ideas. I also wondered if they automatically run an extra coax back to the CATV area and just don't use it if not ordered for the coach. On a nice day I will get out and follow the coaxes to see if that might be true or just wishful thinking. Kinda amazing that we have had a Baystar and Ventana previously and both had the extra coax connection for satellite in the power bay and the Mountain Aire does not.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #13

Our 2019 Bay Star does not have the extra connection in the power bay for a ground satellite, but did have the factory wiring for the roof top.

I emailed customer service prior to having my Travíler installed and they sent me this drawing.

Iíd be surprised if they ran the cable and just left it behind the plate for a ground connection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	309672
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:15 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Pdmeehan
As John (Newmar2856) mentions contact customer service. They provided PDFs for:
1. Newmar DirecTV SEM LNBF Travler SAT Annt wiring layout,
2. Antenna Coax layout
3. AV Set up HDMI.
In my 2014 DSDP I have a splitter in a curbside bay and one under my curbside kitchen sink. I also have a "ground Sat" coax connection in the bedroom cabinet where the DVR resides.

Tags
satellite