Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #1

Guidance Needed

Hello All,

My wife and I are looking at purchasing our first motorhome. We have two kids and 3 little dogs. We have been doing a bunch of research online and have come to be very impressed with the Newmar brand. We have been looking at the Dutch Star line, but have a few questions.

1. The floor plans with 2 couches up front, does the J loungers convert into a bed?

2. Is it hard to convert from a free standing table and chairs to a convertible dinette/sleeper?

3. What is the difference with the different Newmar lines. Dutch Star, Mountain Aire and so on?

Any input would be awesome. We are looking to do 2 to 3 longer trips (1 to 2 weeks) per year, and lots of weekends.

Thanks,
Aaron and Paige
Aaron1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
This link will answer your questions on 2015 & 2016 coach's with build sheets and cost between models.
Many people purchase used Newmars because they stand up over the years and have been very happy with them.
If you have used in mine give some of the year and type coach and info can be provided.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:51 PM   #3

we have been looking at 1998 thru 2006 Dutch Star 3858 mostly. We have looked at some of the Mountain Aire and Kountry Star also. Most of the looking so far has been online. We have been to the local dealers and looked at new and used. The Newmar coaches really do impress. Most of what we have read on irv2 and other sites really do speak highly of the Newmar lines. We are looking at a diesel pusher. Talking to guys that I know that drive truck, the Cat/Cummins debate is just like Ford/Chevy. We printed out the pre purchase punch list from the irv2 file. Anything quarks or things to look at when shopping would be awesome. Any reason that really stands out as to why you like your Newmar would be great to know also.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As much as I like my Newmars can't say they have always been perfect.
98 KSCA on Ford chassis the chassis could not support the Newmar box and now in Ford chassis forum they still have support problems and driving control problems and people are using their CHF to correct these problems.
The 98 coach I had leaf springs add all four wheel locations by a good spring suspension company and it vastly improve the drive ability and handling of coach, add new shocks and rear torque bar.
Newmar problems Corian kitchen counter would crack on slide movement in and out, reason they used 1/8" Corian glued on 3/4 Masonite board and to much flexing would crack the Corian. Newmar under warranty replaced the Corian counter to the 1/2" they were using in their more expensive coach's.

99 MACA same type problem with chassis only some what worst because the weight of box when rolling to the passenger side rear duels would scuff the top of the wheel well causing jolts when driving.
I did myself added AIR -LIFT bag system because a Ford dealer said it could not be done. Added new shocks and rear torque bar also.
Newmar coach problems none everything worked and great cabinet work.
Both coach's were great driving after the corrections to chassis.

You might say chassis problems are not Newmar problems in a way they are when during that time period MFG's would extend the chassis rails to carry a longer box on a shorter chassis supplied by Ford which were really truck chassis to start with.
The newer Ford chassis now are designed for a RV chassis function because back in 2009 the new Workhorse chassis was taking business from Ford.

Workhorse had problems back in 2008-10 and went out of business because of brake recall's and over extending their chassis market, so all we have for gas chassis are back to Ford only.
But word is out Workhorse is coming back.

Now my Workhorse chassis is one of the best chassis I ever owned even with the brake recall and their front end purposing problem they had.
I corrected the purposing with new Bilstein shocks and had the brake recall done in 2008. Workhorse in 04 changed all shocks to the Bilsteins on their new chassis'.

The first drive of the Workhorse Newmar coach was like night and day compared to the Ford chassis' of old. Newmar at the time made a good choice going with the Workhorse for their bigger and heavier models.
Newmar problem this coach had the sewer line drop out of floor flange for toilet while on trip in Canada, after a days driving and use had a big mess end of day.
Pipe was never glued and pipe dropped into holding tank.
Fixed myself was lucky stopped for night at campground that used PCV piping for their pedestals so have plenty of glue for repair.

Other than that 2003 3740 bath 1/2 was the best coach we ever had.
Your interested in a DP more Tech stuff to worry about but greater driving experience and carrying and hauling capacity.
You can make some major changes to your dream coach by Newmar also.
Would I still buy a Newmar you bet over all the best even with some of the complaints by people on forum now.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:05 AM   #5

I look at buying a coach like buying any other vehicle or a house. Nobody makes a perfect one. Research and input from others is invaluable. It is nice to know what issues to look for and fixes for them. An informed buyer is a happy buyer.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #6

Welcome aboard aaronpaige. Buying a Coach (New or Used) is a very large decision. We started off with a little 5th. wheel, then went to a Damon Daybrake 3270, now we have a Newmar Dutch Star DP 4095. If you are starting out with a DP, you are going big league right away !!! You will love it though. It is a HUGE difference from a gas motorhome, to a Diesel Coach. We purchased a used unit, but really love it. Ours has 2 couches up front, but neither is a J Lounger, so both of ours turn into beds. I do not believe that the J Lounger turns into a bed, but I could be mistaken. Our coach has a dinnette, and it is easy to make into a bed. It is nice to have the extra sleeping area in case you kids want to take a friend of 2 with them. We have 2 teenage daughters, and the LOVE to go camping. That is one of the reasons that we purchased a coach with 2 couches up front. I really can't tell you the big differences between the Newmar Lines, so I can't help you on that one, but I can tell you that we truly LOVE our Dutch Star !!
Good luck, and happy camping.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have sent you a PM.