Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2007, 02:00 AM   #1

To 007 and other GURUS I just purchased a 08 MADP 4521 on the PDI I found two items that has mysterfied all. While inspecting the generator it has the normal wire lead from the generator routed through the middle of the frame rail to the auto switch but coiled up neatly on the fire wall was a second generator lead that had been disconnected. The ends of the wires had been flatten where the lugs had been tightened. The extra lead was tucked behind the heater cut off switch. Newmar said it was an abandoned lead that the factory failed to cut off and tuck behind the generator. When the tech and I started to cut and tuck we discovered that the abandoned lead did not run down the center rail BUT up the passenger side w/s post into the roof. We were not able to find the other end. 2nd while checking the oil I found two end of 5/8in heater hose laying on top of the power steering reservoir. With compressed air we found the were cut some where in mid-ship bay area. There is another end of a 5/8in heater hose on the frame rail beside the generator but too short to reach the heater cut off switch and the compressed air did not reach this end. Newmar answer, abandon for whatever reason. During a 3 day check out period I have not found that either has created a problem. All systems seem to work properly. The tech was surprised that the lead went up the w/s post saying he had never seen it before and his best guess was Newmar was experimenting and decided it would not work. What do you think?
aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:00 AM   #2

To 007 and other GURUS I just purchased a 08 MADP 4521 on the PDI I found two items that has mysterfied all. While inspecting the generator it has the normal wire lead from the generator routed through the middle of the frame rail to the auto switch but coiled up neatly on the fire wall was a second generator lead that had been disconnected. The ends of the wires had been flatten where the lugs had been tightened. The extra lead was tucked behind the heater cut off switch. Newmar said it was an abandoned lead that the factory failed to cut off and tuck behind the generator. When the tech and I started to cut and tuck we discovered that the abandoned lead did not run down the center rail BUT up the passenger side w/s post into the roof. We were not able to find the other end. 2nd while checking the oil I found two end of 5/8in heater hose laying on top of the power steering reservoir. With compressed air we found the were cut some where in mid-ship bay area. There is another end of a 5/8in heater hose on the frame rail beside the generator but too short to reach the heater cut off switch and the compressed air did not reach this end. Newmar answer, abandon for whatever reason. During a 3 day check out period I have not found that either has created a problem. All systems seem to work properly. The tech was surprised that the lead went up the w/s post saying he had never seen it before and his best guess was Newmar was experimenting and decided it would not work. What do you think?
Old 08-12-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What do you think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know what to think.

If you are at the factory, you can get production to look at it and possibly recall what it's all about.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:49 AM   #4

The additional wireset from the genset, is there a start control located in the bedroom area? The Essex has an optional touch screen in the bedroom, controlling everything in the coach including start/stop or genset, auto on/off, voltage cut-on, etc. The MA uses the same wiring harness as the Essex on the K-2 chassis. Under the dash you will find terminated wires for equipment not available on the MA and some even are marked "EX".
This may be what you found. I have no idea of what the hoses are.

Peter
Old 08-12-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe they thought they were working on a gas coach on a Monday morning.
The extra hose could have been for the AUX Heater in rear of gas coach from front radiator.
The extra wires who can tell.
As long as your PDI went well and everything continues to work ok I would not worry. Like 66 says have them give a check if you have to visit them.
Congrats by the way many safe and trouble free miles.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Peter makes a good point.

My coach has unused wires and connectors everywhere.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My KS has extra wiring also some for mid-point directionals as the MA has. Have purchased the lights on visit to Newmar just have to figure out how to get extra wires to light location and up wall.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 AM   #8

Thanks Guys, I knew IRV2 GURU'S would respond. Ya'll possess a wealth of knowledge earn through the schools of HARD KNOCKS and EXPERIENCE. Yes I have 1000s of wires that dead end whereby other options could be added. But, why two genset leads? You can only hook up one set. Does anyone have a coach that the genset lead runs through the w/s post into the roof?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #9

They could also be part of a prewired solar panel system.

Peter