Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #1

Hair Ball Audio Visual Cabinet

My 2014 Baystar, cabinet over the driver A/V center, is an absolute hairball.
Dealer installed DISH old style receiver 211K, and Traveler box. There is a whole bunch of cable tied up behind the SAT receiver..and it actually pushes the box forward into the door when we drive (or bounce along). It is almost impossible to see what is back there. Looks like the tech plugged everything in and SHOVED back enough to close the door. I also think my SONY receiver subwoofer is not plugged in, as it does not work.

My question is this...I have the 2 prong HDMI factory upgrade. Both female receptacles are in use. When I start pulling on these various devices, will I have room to see behind them..where I assume they plug in etc.
It seems they are all "locked" in ...and commingled together, and I don't want to create more problems already, but I would like to rearrange them in a more orderly fashion, so I can properly monitor the wiring.

Also, how does the HDMI work....if I put another SAT receiver in the bedroom, will it see the Traveler if it is plugged into the factory HDMI slot.

Lastly, how do you access the actual flat Panel Sony TV inputs that are behind the monitor over the cab? Does the TV pull out or tilt ...

Sorry...real newbie to RV...
timdonohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #2

As a first step, you should try to figure out what's connected to what.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
timdonohue, I started with the hairball as well, it drove me crazy trying to figure things out and clean it up. Eventually I gutted the cabinet and started from scratch. If you take this route just carefully label everything as you move forward and take lots of pics so you can reassemble.

First thing I did was replace that huge Sony receiver with a Sherwood that was less than 1/2 the size. I built shelves to accommodate all my components, all spaced to the correct dimensions and I added a couple of fans for cooling.

It looked and worked much better when I was done! Will do the same for my Dutch Star when I get it home. It was quite a bit of work but worth the effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A:V cabinet after.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	77721  
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tim, in QT's # 3 PDR John has threads about HDMI connecting and some info about wireless maybe to eliminate some of the wiring and also pictures of a fairly neat cabinet for all his electronics. Its in the TV to LCD Section.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

Your hair ball sounds exactly like my hair ball. Mine does the same thing pushing the 211k out of the cabinet. And I have no subwoofer either. Never have been able to find it or where it should be.
Some day I'll clean it up.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #6

Tim you may already be aware but just in case. The travel'r plugs into the Sat control box which it's then connected to a receiver which then (via HDMI)connects to your tv. Depending on the type of configuration you have the other tv's can be controlled via other receivers
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
To check for a subwoofer your receiver has to have a sub -woofer output for speaker, what ever type receiver you have, the problem is to see behind receiver to check that output.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #8

That looks great. Which Sherwood receiver did you purchase. A smaller foot print would really help.
Dug into it today, and found the reason my sub woofer does not work. RCA jack was broken off inside the receiver. I did a temp fix by replacing the male jack (no time to solder) and moved it to the left jack. It works. Only problem, is I have a RCA male pin lodged DEEPLY in the right side. Hmmmm
Old 10-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #9

Yep...the subwoofer in my 14 Baystar is under the sink. As I stated in another post, the RCA cable was broken off inside the receiver. No wonder it would not work. I suspect a lazy worker knew this, and just left it there..as it was really crammed into the box.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #10

>>Tim you may already be aware but just in case. The travel'r plugs into the Sat control box which it's then connected to a receiver which then (via HDMI)connects to your tv. Depending on the type of configuration you have the other tv's can be controlled via other receivers

With respect to the HDMI wiring..what you said seems logical. I was told by the tech that I could put a second SAT receiver in the bedroom by simply plugging it (SAT receiver) into the HDMI plug at that location.
It's a bit confusing, but I bought a second SAT box 211Z, that I will play with on my next trip in November.
Thanks
Old 10-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a link to the Sherwood receiver I used in my Ventana. They have been discontinued but WalMart still has some in stock. I bought one for my Dutch Star last month and it was only $222, not sure why it is up to $260 now.

I have been pleased with this receiver, sounds good and a much better size than the Sony. I have ordered my Dutch Star without the Sony receiver, no point in paying for a receiver I'm going to replace as soon as I take delivery.

Sherwood R-904NWM Internet A/V Streaming Receiver NetBoxx, (Black) - Walmart.com
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
To check for a subwoofer your receiver has to have a sub -woofer output for speaker, what ever type receiver you have, the problem is to see behind receiver to check that output.
I dug into it today and found the broken RCA cable in the receiver. Thanks for keeping on the track. I really like this BB. People are very helpful.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #13

I agree with comments on audio cabinet. I will have to sort out the mess on my new 3436 Ventana. HDMI cables were found with ends completely broke off. Looks like they try to put 10 lbs of ----------- in a 5 lb box . Surround sound not working , lots of static New coach and much to work on before heading south, sometimes buying used would be better, let someone else get things working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rickdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Here's a link to the Sherwood receiver I used in my Ventana. They have been discontinued but WalMart still has some in stock. I bought one for my Dutch Star last month and it was only $222, not sure why it is up to $260 now.

I have been pleased with this receiver, sounds good and a much better size than the Sony. I have ordered my Dutch Star without the Sony receiver, no point in paying for a receiver I'm going to replace as soon as I take delivery.

Sherwood R-904NWM Internet A/V Streaming Receiver NetBoxx, (Black) - Walmart.com
Will I be able to not get the receiver in any Newmar brand and will all of the wiring be there correctly?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio