Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2007, 05:59 AM   #1

Many Newmars and other brands come with many halogen pot type lights. The '07 Essex, for example, has 53 of these throughout the coach. While they should give service for a couple of years use, some will not make it past a month or two. I have replaced about 10 so far, delivery was August 30/06. I don't think it is a bulb quality issue, but probably accidently touched during installation or other handling. Fact is if you touch them, the oil in your skin will cause premature bulb failure. I use a light rubber glove or a piece of rubber non-skid to replace them.

These bulbs are expensive. Lucky for me I fore saw this issue and ordered 60 like halogen 10 watt bulbs on line at less than half what you will pay for them anywhere including places like Home Depot.

One tip. Before taking the lense off, knock on it and shake it a bit. Many times that will wake it up as the connection may have just become open.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2007, 05:59 AM   #2

Many Newmars and other brands come with many halogen pot type lights. The '07 Essex, for example, has 53 of these throughout the coach. While they should give service for a couple of years use, some will not make it past a month or two. I have replaced about 10 so far, delivery was August 30/06. I don't think it is a bulb quality issue, but probably accidently touched during installation or other handling. Fact is if you touch them, the oil in your skin will cause premature bulb failure. I use a light rubber glove or a piece of rubber non-skid to replace them.

These bulbs are expensive. Lucky for me I fore saw this issue and ordered 60 like halogen 10 watt bulbs on line at less than half what you will pay for them anywhere including places like Home Depot.

One tip. Before taking the lense off, knock on it and shake it a bit. Many times that will wake it up as the connection may have just become open.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You are probably correct on the bulbs. I went through that in video production. I kept a pair of hot mill gloves handy to change the halogen bulbs in our set lighting. The gloves were thick and fuzzy and kept your fingers cool when changing a freshly burned out 2,000 watt bulb. If your fingers touch the bulb it'll be toast real quick. The oil in your hands will blister the glass and it'll pop. If you suspect oil to be on the bulbs don't turn them on. Instead, wipe them off with alcohol and a dry absorbent paper towel. The excess alcohol will evaporate. Let it. The towel is only to remove the oil, not dry the bulb. Do not use a facial tissue that might have lotion in it. If you start to pop some I'd go through the whole coach and wipe them down.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #4

Good Tip Mark. Thanks.

Peter
Old 01-22-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have found lites in Marine Boat locations also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:

One tip. Before taking the lense off, knock on it and shake it a bit. Many times that will wake it up as the connection may have just become open. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lug_Nut, I've only had my Essex 4508 for a few days and I've already had one light quit working. I'll try knocking on it tomorrow, but was wondering how you get the lense off? My other question is what size bulb and where did you find them? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,
Charlie

Carlos151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #7

Charlie, the glass lense comes off by turning it a quater turn or less to the left. It takes a 10 watt halogen two pin bulb. Rv dealers, Home Depot or any hardware should have them. Don't drop the lense after turning it, it will break. Best of luck. Welcome to the forum.

Peter
Old 02-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Charlie,the frosted lens require a "quarter turn" to release them...BE CAREFUL you don't drop the lens. Once you get the lens off,visualize the indents on the cover in order that you can line it up again.

If Peter doesn't chime in I can provide the part number from the ones I bought at Newmar parts.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #9

Had them on my boat for years. They do fail quite often no matter how they are handled. Found a place in NYC(internet) where they were .60cents each. Sorry don't have info(thought it was DG Lighting-but can't find it) with me(on the boat in Aruba). We had spare lens also as they heat up and crack, etc.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #10

Thanks for the help on the lights. I'll try taking the cover off tomorrow and then probably order extra bulbs and a couple of lens from Midway Motorhomes, where I bought my Essex. Thanks for the help. I'm new to forums and I live in the middle of Wyoming and it's hard to find information.

Charlie

Carlos151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Carlos, WELCOME to iRV2 and the Newmar Owner's Forum!!

We can hook you up with a "Newmar Owner's Forum Member" title under your screen name if you'd like...

Glad to have another Essex owner on the forums!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #12

I found them at Home Depot for $5+ each. Found them at an Ebay store called: http://stores.ebay.com/HALOGEN-PLUS-LIGHTING

They were about 69 cents each when buying ten, but the shipping was $5.99. So I bought 30 and the shipping was a couple of bucks more, so all in all they were less than a buck each.

I need 3 or 4 in my 06 now, just a year plus old. I am sure many will go out over time, so getting quatities makes sense to me.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote