Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Halogen to LED conversion

I want to change out the hot halogen bulbs in the ceiling fixtures to cooler led lights. What led light number am I looking for to replace this bulb?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bulb.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	25088  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
See if this link will help. Click on (2) sections on right side.
PrudentRVer LED Catalog
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
How many lumens should the led bulb give off to create light equal to the halogen bulbs?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #4

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
The bulbs I used for the pucks are 12x 5050 SMD, which is the most one can pack on a disk that will fit the fixture. Some are selling replacements that have only 6 or 9 chips. Of course 12 = more light. The 5050 LEDs are brighter than the 3528 LEDs that many are using.
I replaced every bulb in my coach (running lights/tail aready LED). My coach has the intellitec switching system with dimmers and all the LED's dim just as the halogens did.
FYI about LEDs.
SMD refers to Surface Mounted Device or Diode.
5050 refers to size of the diode 5.0mm x 5.0mm and respectfully,
3528 refers to 3.5mm x 2.8mm.
The 5050 emits about 3 times the light as the 3528 led.
Polarized means negative to negative and positive to positive connections required to work the light.
Non polarized means can be cross wired and will work either way.
Non polarized is accomplished by the addition of a bridge recifier usually mounted on the back of the board. Some rectifiers are larger than others and may obstruct when mounting in puck lights. The fixture can be removed and re-wired to correct polarity.
Warm white Leds are about 4500 kelvins, where bright whites are about 6500k. Natural white is in the middle, but harder to find. Watch out for the bright whites, brighter light, but bluish light and "cold". The 10w halogens like those found in many RV lights are around 3200K.
The G4 replacements for puck lights are side Bi-pins and the bulb cannot be turned around to correct polarity issues as one can with other types of bi-pin bulbs.
Bayonet base leds are polarized, but the bulb fits only one way (1157 double contact) or makes no difference in 1141 single contact as well as 1076.
Most LEDs are dimmable with the proper type of dimmer.
I replaced about 75 of the halogen pucks as well as bay lights, etc. My Chargers hardly come on with all on, where before were cranking a 30 amp plus charge to each bank through the batteries...30 amp is a heavy charge. Also less outgassing in battery banks and cleaner battery compartment. The AGMs help that too.
Hope this is of use to those converting to LEDs.
I recommend it.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #5

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie View Post
How many lumens should the led bulb give off to create light equal to the halogen bulbs?
Not even a comparison if you buy the right LED replacements as there is a huge difference...buyer be aware.
The LEDs that I used are much brighter than the halogens. Halogens are hot, ruin fixtures and have been known to cause fires.
I don't know of any manufactures using the G4 halogens in puck lights anymore.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I've used two, one from an eBay seller and one from DealExtreme. The eBay seller's 200 lumen light was so bright DW did not like them, so I changed them out for these from DealExtreme. They were the right brightness, the only issue with them is they ship from China and took about a month to arrive.

Both are "warm white" which is about the same color as the warm white fluorescent fixtures and both have diode bridges so they do not have a polarity issue (they will work no matter how the fixture is wired).

As far as power consumption is concerned, I agree wholeheartedly with justaroamer, When all the lights are on only about 4A is drawn from the battery versus 4A for each fixture with normal bulbs.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I tried to change my g4 bulbs to LED, took on advice on this forum to buy through Ebay, after a few weeks bulbs arrived, the two prongs on the LED bulbs was to wide for my fixtures. I mailed the distributor in located somewhere in the far east and advised of problem, no help but he did refund me $5 on my paypal. I think not all g4 LED;s are the same, I would order some more if I could make sure they would work, any suggestions.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You're looking for a G4 replacement. If you want something that comes close to the original color and brightness I'd recommend LEDs that are warm white in color and around 140 lumens in brightness. I like the 5050's that justaroamer recommended too. We exchanged ours with these:
http://www.amazon.com/Holagen-Replac.../dp/B002Q9B1ZQ

Been very happy with them. About 1/10 the power usage of the older halogens and they're cool to the touch.

If you want to see pics and learn more about LED replacements i wrote a post here:
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2011...-led-lighting/
Old 08-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #9

I bought mine off of Ebay over a year ago and still happy. G-4 LED replacement non polarity sensitive for $2.08 each delivered to my door. I bought 25 and have not had one problem.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem View Post
I tried to change my g4 bulbs to LED, took on advice on this forum to buy through Ebay, after a few weeks bulbs arrived, the two prongs on the LED bulbs was to wide for my fixtures. I mailed the distributor in located somewhere in the far east and advised of problem, no help but he did refund me $5 on my paypal. I think not all g4 LED;s are the same, I would order some more if I could make sure they would work, any suggestions.
If you know somebody that is handy with a soldering iron he may be able to re-solder the leads at the appropriate pitch for your fixtures. Some LED bulbs I've seen on eBay have a piece of plastic holding the pins too far apart, it probably can be removed to facilitate this.

I do know that the 5 x 5050 warm white LED's I bought from DealExtreme fit my fixtures with no problem. They have free shipping so you can try one to see if you like the brightness and color, but as I mentioned in a previous post delivery time is about a month so you have to be patient.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
If you know somebody that is handy with a soldering iron he may be able to re-solder the leads at the appropriate pitch for your fixtures. Some LED bulbs I've seen on eBay have a piece of plastic holding the pins too far apart, it probably can be removed to facilitate this.

I do know that the 5 x 5050 warm white LED's I bought from DealExtreme fit my fixtures with no problem. They have free shipping so you can try one to see if you like the brightness and color, but as I mentioned in a previous post delivery time is about a month so you have to be patient.
Great info in this thread!
Olsenbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
You're looking for a G4 replacement. If you want something that comes close to the original color and brightness I'd recommend LEDs that are warm white in color and around 140 lumens in brightness. I like the 5050's that justaroamer recommended too. We exchanged ours with these:
Amazon.com: Disc Type G4 Base Side Pin 10 SMD Led, 10 Watt Halogen 140 Lumen Bulb Replacement for Rv Camper Trailer Boat Marine Warm White By Ledwholesalers, 1109ww: Home Improvement

Been very happy with them. About 1/10 the power usage of the older halogens and they're cool to the touch.

If you want to see pics and learn more about LED replacements i wrote a post here:
Boondocking Made Easy -> LED Lighting | Wheeling It
These are the same LED that we used they are great. Couldn't be happier
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All light information is in QT's # 3 from florescent to LED, head lights and every light bulb in your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote