Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Handicapped Access Upgrade

I traded in a 2005 Winnebago Brave, factory modified with a Braun Millennium wheelchair lift, for a 2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911 with a Braun Century II wheelchair lift. The Millennium had both a wired & a wireless hand controller. The Century II only came with a wired hand controller. Why does this make a difference, you ask? This means I must have an attendant to operate the lift for me to enter or exit the motorhome. I called Braun for information about upgrading, but was told impossible. I then began researching for solutions & found a company that manufactures a radio controlled device for commercial applications like tow trucks & wreckers. I called their technical support department,was connected to a technician, explained what I was trying to accomplish & emailed him the Century II service manual, which contained the electrical wiring diagram. After he reviewed this information, he said that his company did have a unit that would fit my needs. He even emailed me the wiring color codes for both his unit & the match-up color codes on the Century II.

To shorten the narrative, I ordered the unit & when it arrived, I asked a knowledgeable friend (who brought an even more knowledgeable friend) & within 2 hours on Sunday afternoon, I had a working wireless unit installed. I can now enter & exit my Newmar Canyon Star 3911 without an attendant (my wife)!
Also, when I'm not around & she needs to use the lift to load or unload supplies from the motorhome (easier than using the steps), she can use the wired unit.

Life is good!

Anyone interested in brand & contact specifics can private message me.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
WOW...can't believe that a company that is in the business of accessibility doesn't do the full job.

Congrats on finding a solution!

Perhaps the mods can tag this so it can be found in https://www.irv2.com/forums/f248/dis...rs-150101.html

Pictures of your set up would be nice!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that information Jim T. will add post to the handicap sticky in Class A Forum.
Which links to all Disabled forums.

Please add information of Company to this thread also for people interested in the remote control thank you again.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T.
I traded in a 2005 Winnebago Brave, factory modified with a Braun Millennium wheelchair lift, for a 2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911 with a Braun Century II wheelchair lift. The Millennium had both a wired & a wireless hand controller. The Century II only came with a wired hand controller. Why does this make a difference, you ask? This means I must have an attendant to operate the lift for me to enter or exit the motorhome. I called Braun for information about upgrading, but was told impossible. I then began researching for solutions & found a company that manufactures a radio controlled device for commercial applications like tow trucks & wreckers. I called their technical support department,was connected to a technician, explained what I was trying to accomplish & emailed him the Century II service manual, which contained the electrical wiring diagram. After he reviewed this information, he said that his company did have a unit that would fit my needs. He even emailed me the wiring color codes for both his unit & the match-up color codes on the Century II.

To shorten the narrative, I ordered the unit & when it arrived, I asked a knowledgeable friend (who brought an even more knowledgeable friend) & within 2 hours on Sunday afternoon, I had a working wireless unit installed. I can now enter & exit my Newmar Canyon Star 3911 without an attendant (my wife)!
Also, when I'm not around & she needs to use the lift to load or unload supplies from the motorhome (easier than using the steps), she can use the wired unit.

Life is good!

Necessity is the mother of invention, especially when told something is impossible! Good job!! Would love to see photos of your set up.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
You may be "handicapped" but you certainly are not limited! Carry on.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Excellent work around.
Braun's take is probably an attendant is required.
We looked at a '13 accessible CS this summer.
Lots of room and well layed out.
Now to get them to do a DP accessible coach.
Keith
Keitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitha View Post
Excellent work around.
Braun's take is probably an attendant is required.
We looked at a '13 accessible CS this summer.
Lots of room and well layed out.
Now to get them to do a DP accessible coach.
Keith

While it is not advetised, I saw a Essex at the factory that was hadicap accessible. Midway on the drivers side was a lift that allowed wheelchair access and Newmar made the isle wider for easier wheelchair maneuvering
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Keith, they have made conversions for people in other than the CS coach read this link for the info.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #9

Hi Jim,I am new here, my wife and I just bought a 2012 "3911" and would like to hear your solution to the wired lift
davidco33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome David to the forum & irv2.
You can send JIM T a PM by clicking on his name in post and a menu will drop down and a PM message can be sent to him.
Maybe he can post on forum so I can add information in the Handicap forum threads.
Here is the series lift they talk about a remote for a lift.
In my signature below are three links with information about your Newmar coach.
Enjoy the forums.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
I can now enter & exit my Newmar Canyon Star 3911 without an attendant (my wife)!

Life is good!

Jim, we are in the same situation with our 2009 Allstar Wheelchair Accessible Mid Engine Diesel (which they quit making after they made our unit). If you are outside how do you get the door open before operating the lift?

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #12

I have been trying to respond but have been havin errors. If this work
I will post my solution to these issues. I own 2014 3911.
donrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #13

Well it worked.

I have adapted my 3911 with wireless remote lift, automatic door for both entry and access lift with remote. These have been done without outside input and I needed more than manual methods since I travel solo.

The remote lift was done with a simple four channel wireless unit ($25) from the large online store. The wiring was simple since the manual remote switches on my lift was just a closing contact. Any momentary switch wireless or wired spliced into the corresponding wire in the lift control panel would perform corresponding function. There are 6 wires necessary to T splice and the remote will work.

For the door opener at the lift I ended up using a gate opener since the ones designed for stick built houses were expensive. The opener was a GTO unit, about $700. The opener has it own remote but have wired the controls to another wireless to control both doors with one remote. The door opener for the main door was a $180 unit adapted to fit without the screen door to allow me to open the door to be able to easily get my dog in and out without going to the trouble of getting the door unlatched and then opened from the wheelchair.

I was able to manually open the access door from the outside and close from the outside, but pushing the door open from the inside was difficult. I used originally a retractable dog letch to pull the door shut but this was also difficult.

I have also added hose reels to sewer and water, and a cord reel for the electrical. Fortunately I still can move some with the chair, and have been trying to get things setup for the future, since I anticipate have less abilities then.

I can explain in more detail but would prefer doing so individually since everyone situation would be different and it would be impossible to explain for all possible conditions.

Donald
donrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2 Donald.
Thanks for your input to this thread if I can be of help let ne know we will try to put something together.
You can PM me click on "007" where it appears.

Tags
disabled rvers, handicap, handicapped