RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #1

Happy with Baystar?

Considering a Baystar. I was wondering if there have been many issues with them. Are there any models that offer the drop down bed over the cab? I never see any pictures of them. It seems like everybody else has them.
forkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #2

We purchased a used 2012 Bay Star 2901 (about 30' long) in 2018. It has been mostly trouble free. The only real problem we've had was the awning motor that went bad. The engine is a bit noisy when the RPMs go up, which is true of all gas coaches of that era, but the ride is quite acceptable on decent roads. So over all, we've been very happy with our Bay Star.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #3

We're very happy with our 2012 Baystar 3302 which we purchased in 2018. I haven't had any problems. The previous owner had Sumo springs installed. I had the front end aligned, replaced the tires and added a Roadmaster stabilizer and now the rig handles quite well on the road. It's our first motor home, so I can't compare to others, but I find it to be well built. It's quiet inside and I like having the full body paint, double pane windows and the rig is very comfortable, even in cold conditions with the temps in the teens.

I'm in agreement with those that put Newmar and Tiffin at the top for gas motor homes with Winnebago being next in line but that is only based upon what we saw when shopping for a gas motorhome.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #4

We purchased a preowned 2018 Baystar 3006 last year. We love the floor plan (no longer available new). The previous owner added many modifications including a stabilizer as well. I ordered the adjustable driver and passenger armrests just before Flexsteel dropped out of the RV furniture business. I intend on replacing the house batteries next year as we are not traveling this year. Coming from a Winnebago View we love our unit. Keeping our fingers crossed as we have not had many issues to date. We really enjoy the additional room our Baystar affords us.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #5

I own a 2008 Baystar 2701 that I have had for two years. It is a lightly used coach but I have been impressed with the build quality. Double pane glass and lots of insulation keep it very quiet at night. The previous owner had done handling enhancements and I added an air bag system so we are very happy.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:33 AM   #6

We bought a 2017 BayStar Sport 2903 new, 20,000 miles now. Have used it about 200 nights so far and we love it. The only issues were the fridge power wire shook loose and the solenoid on the levellers was faulty (bad batch from the supplier). Both items handled in warranty. We came from a Thor and after our Thor experience were considering getting out of RVing as the quality was so terrible.....criminal in my view. If we hadn't discovered Newmar we would be in hotels for our travels.
belfast1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:56 AM   #7

We have a 2019 BSS 3014 with the drop down bed in the front. I don't have a picture with it in use. It actually folds down vs the motor driven ones. I like it much better than those types. It's good for one adult younger person. Our adult son sleeps there on the few occasions he gets to camp with us. The mattress is thin so we use a 3 inch down topper (stores in bench seat when not in use). The front cupboards are still as tall as normal but a shorter door for access. The ladder stores under the main bed but our son doesn't use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-09-25-06-45-02_kindlephoto-1572338382.png
Views:	6
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	302225  
BYoshida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:44 AM   #8

We have a 2016 Baystar 3124 that we bought new. We would have loved a drop-down bunk, but it wasn't available when we purchased ours. Our sofa has a regular mattress rather than the air mattress which makes it faster to set up and take down when needed.

The 3124 hit a sweet spot for us - big enough and enough tank space, etc. to travel for 6-8 weeks (often with granddaughter), but small enough to get in a lot of spaces. We added solar and with judicious water use, have dry-camped for 6-7 days without needing to dump tanks or fill water. It is well-insulated and the tinted double paned windows help a lot along with Magna Shades for the front.

Other than solar (residential refrigerator), we did some suspension upgrades early on that helped the ride. Biggest problem we have is the furniture peeling issue that you can see described in this forum by many owners.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #9

We have a 2014 2702 bought new in 2015.Very happy, with only a few problems the first year.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #10

We have a 2019 Bay Star Sport 3008 and like it just fine. Funny story, actually....we had a 33 ft Fleetwood and went shopping for a Ventana. Parked next to the one we liked was this little BSS. DW wandered into it for some reason. Ended up we loved the simplicity of it and the floor plan. We were so surprised we went home to rethink the whole thing. Bought the BSS and are really pleased. Didnít hurt that it was literally half the cost. Itís only got 6000 COVID limited miles and about 60 nights. Has had a few minor problems and one serious one. The ďleatherĒ on the front seats is starting to crack and flake off. Super disappointed. But itís still under warranty and a call to Newmar gives me much reassurance that theyíll fix us up. Alas, with Flexsteel giving up on the business Newmar has their hands full meeting even the demand for new production. Said itíll probably be after the first of the year before they can come up with a good plan. As I said, disappointing but doesnít spoil our utility or fun.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #11

We have a 2019 Bat Star 3408 and we are very happy with it. Haven't had any issues at all (knock on wood). Wish we could get out more. We have about 8500 miles on it.
The 3408 has opposing slides so there is a lot of room in the living area when opened up. Insulation is good and the MH is quiet. I find the driving and handling to be fine with no modifications. We have made several trips WI to PA without any issues. And we pull a tow behind us - don't know its there.

I think you'd be very happy with a Bay Star.
BadgerRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #12

2019 3124

We have a 2019 3124 Bay Star. The quality is very good with a few little glitches. I won't get into the usual suspension issues because they all have them. We had to fix the right front dash that had some clunking. The screws came loose. Yes, there are those plastic drawer catches that have to be replaced.... Other than that, we are happy.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYoshida View Post
We have a 2019 BSS 3014 with the drop down bed in the front. I don't have a picture with it in use. It actually folds down vs the motor driven ones. I like it much better than those types. It's good for one adult younger person. Our adult son sleeps there on the few occasions he gets to camp with us. The mattress is thin so we use a 3 inch down topper (stores in bench seat when not in use). The front cupboards are still as tall as normal but a shorter door for access. The ladder stores under the main bed but our son doesn't use it.
The first Newmar owner that I know with the bed. I am surprised that Newmar does not incorporate that feature in more of their models. It is showing up in many of the competition’s higher end models. Is it large enough for 2 smaller kids? Are there any safety nets provided to prevent a child from rolling off the edge. I would really like to enjoy the quality of a Newmar, but I really need the added sleeping space of the overhead bunk, preferably one that would sleep up to two adults. Tough decisions ahead.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacksondeck View Post
We have a 2016 Baystar 3124 that we bought new. We would have loved a drop-down bunk, but it wasn't available when we purchased ours. Our sofa has a regular mattress rather than the air mattress which makes it faster to set up and take down when needed.

The 3124 hit a sweet spot for us - big enough and enough tank space, etc. to travel for 6-8 weeks (often with granddaughter), but small enough to get in a lot of spaces. We added solar and with judicious water use, have dry-camped for 6-7 days without needing to dump tanks or fill water. It is well-insulated and the tinted double paned windows help a lot along with Magna Shades for the front.

Other than solar (residential refrigerator), we did some suspension upgrades early on that helped the ride. Biggest problem we have is the furniture peeling issue that you can see described in this forum by many owners.
That furniture peeling issue has been mentioned in other manufacturer forums as well. What is that all about? I would have thought that Newmar used higher quality furniture much like the other components in their coaches.