Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hard wiring TPMS

I have the TST Tire Pressure Monitoring system with coach and toad transmitters. I'm currently powering it from a standard DC plug, but its not ideal. The DC plug in the Dutch Star is always on, which means the TST transmitter will stay on unless I unplug it every time. The problem with that is when the toad goes somewhere, the TST transmitter beeps. It also means we often forget to turn it back on when we leave. The TST system does come with a mounting bracket that can be wired directly into DC. What I want is to wire it into a switched DC power line, which means its only powered when the ignition is on. That's where I need some advice. Looking under the dash, it is way past my pay grade to identify what wire might work, or how to take off any of the panels to even access the wiring. Again, wiring it up to an always hot DC line wouldn't be hard, but wouldn't be a solution. I hope someone can advise.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a TST TPMS in my MH, and I don't leave it in the charger. Mine will run for several days without needing to be charged. Then I just charge it overnight.
BTW it is a good idea to add this device to your departure checklist, so you don't forget to turn it on.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,

I prefer to have the TPMS transferred to my car once I am parked for a considerable length of time. Therefore I do NOT hardwire mine.

However, you could purchase a 12 VDC charger cord with an ON/OFF switch on the plug to turn the master control off when not needed.

BTW, my Tire Safeguard TPMS does not give me any errors if I happen to drive away in the car with the master control still in the coach. It recognizes that the car is no longer in range so it stops reporting any information for the car. It will do the same thing for the coach tires if the master control is in the car.

However it is simply a couple of button pushes to put it into the correct mode for either the car, coach or coach & car.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem is even if you find a switch circuit to tap into the internal battery will last for days. Best to plan on just turning it off and add to departure check list. TV antenna down, storage doors locked, wife in the coach,,,,
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Just wanted to clarify the question and situation. The TST monitor has a nice feature that when the power switch is "off" it will still power on whenever it sees DC power. That means I can leave it passively mounted into the hard wired bracket if I have the bracket hard wired into a switched DC circuitry, and it will turn on and off just like the instrument panel. I can still take the monitor with me if I want, and charge it other ways as well. Hard wiring the bracket just makes having it turn on automatically much more convenient. The question is not really about the best way to use the unit, but rather how I might find a "switched" power line in the dash area.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
To find a switched power source look for something that is powered by the ignition switch. You may have to go outside and review your chassis electrical panel to see what is marked with ignition.

My chassis panel is in the Front Run Bay.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #7

Ditto on simply charging when needed. I've found that I can go about a month of regular use, almost daily, with the TST before it needs charging. Power it on and off as needed and charge occasionally.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #8

Easy peasy... stick one of these in your fuse box that has a switched 12v fuse.

Robot Check
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
Easy peasy... stick one of these in your fuse box that has a switched 12v fuse.

Robot Check
That's the basic question I'm asking. Where is the (Freightliner) fuse box for the 2015 Dutch Star. I assume its not the same place as the DC fuse box for the coach.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Ditto on simply charging when needed. I've found that I can go about a month of regular use, almost daily, with the TST before it needs charging. Power it on and off as needed and charge occasionally.
Keeping it charged is not a problem or concern. What I don't want to do is forget to turn it on, or leave it on and have it alarm whenever the toad leaves. Automatically turning it on or off with the ignition would solve both issues. I know its a convenience issue, so I don't want to make this out to be the only way it will work.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Probably shouldn't, but I have been known to tap into the ignition switch for such low- draw power. Best would be to look outside under the driver's seat for the " ignition-sitched" DC fuse panel. Read what items are on Ignition DC power, pull the dash panel and locate one of those wires and tap into it. Also, find the DC ground terminal deep inside the dash area by following some of the white wires to it.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
I have the TST Tire Pressure Monitoring system with coach and toad transmitters. I'm currently powering it from a standard DC plug, but its not ideal. The DC plug in the Dutch Star is always on, which means the TST transmitter will stay on unless I unplug it every time. The problem with that is when the toad goes somewhere, the TST transmitter beeps. It also means we often forget to turn it back on when we leave. The TST system does come with a mounting bracket that can be wired directly into DC. What I want is to wire it into a switched DC power line, which means its only powered when the ignition is on. That's where I need some advice. Looking under the dash, it is way past my pay grade to identify what wire might work, or how to take off any of the panels to even access the wiring. Again, wiring it up to an always hot DC line wouldn't be hard, but wouldn't be a solution. I hope someone can advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
Just wanted to clarify the question and situation. The TST monitor has a nice feature that when the power switch is "off" it will still power on whenever it sees DC power. That means I can leave it passively mounted into the hard wired bracket if I have the bracket hard wired into a switched DC circuitry, and it will turn on and off just like the instrument panel. I can still take the monitor with me if I want, and charge it other ways as well. Hard wiring the bracket just makes having it turn on automatically much more convenient. The question is not really about the best way to use the unit, but rather how I might find a "switched" power line in the dash area.
WYRon
Methinks if you are not confident that you can do it yourself you should have someone who is do it for you.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Probably shouldn't, but I have been known to tap into the ignition switch for such low- draw power. Best would be to look outside under the driver's seat for the " ignition-sitched" DC fuse panel. Read what items are on Ignition DC power, pull the dash panel and locate one of those wires and tap into it. Also, find the DC ground terminal deep inside the dash area by following some of the white wires to it.
Thanks. I think locating the fuse panel, which I think is in a front outside compartment, is my best bet. The link Todd157k provided has a simple way to add another circuit. Trick will be to get the wire routed nicely from outside to inside.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2016 DS that I wanted to be able to switch the braking system monitor on and off. I removed the little drawer and housing (4 screws). The 12v outlet wiring is right there. I cut into this and installed a switch above the gas feed on the side wall. Everything is easy to access. In addition, there is at least one additional wire set for an additional 12v outlet. This may be ignition controlled, I did not check. I also installed additional 12v outlet in the passenger wall assembly (with the cup holder) and modified the 120v outlet on the wall to 120v/2 USB ports. I set up all of my navigation equipment/tireminder monitor on the passenger window.
The rvibrake monitoring system is plugged into the center console next to the heater console on the switched 12v.
Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring