Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
DKRITTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Haslet, Texas
Posts: 1,011
Hardwiring a portable Surge Guard 34951

We have a Surge Guard 34951 that goes on the pole outside and into the end of your cord.

I would like to hardwire this into the power cord bay so that itís not subject to the elements. Is it possible to put a male and female plug in and be able to just plug it in?

If so where should the cord be cut/removed?
__________________
2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4318
2022 RAM 1500 4X4
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We have a Surge Guard 34951 that goes on the pole outside and into the end of your cord.

I would like to hardwire this into the power cord bay so that itís not subject to the elements. Is it possible to put a male and female plug in and be able to just plug it in?

If so where should the cord be cut/removed?
Before the ATS.
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BHS. Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale MA. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
DicknBambi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hadley NY
Posts: 112
I have a Autoformer in my electric bay. The cord was cut about a foot before the transfer switch with a male plug on it. The cord to the pedestal receiving the female plug so you should be able to add the surge protection to it or just plug the cord the way it was. Good luck
__________________
Not here for a long time, Here for a good time!!
DicknBambi
2001 DSDP 4095. 24ft Look car hauler 2004 Excape
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Luv2go's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,463
I used a 9' 50A 4 wire range cord as a stub to the transfer switch in the electrical compartment. Then added the female end to the power cord that used to be end in the transfer switch. This gave me a short cord to connect to my box when in the RV tent at home and a way to connect the Surge Guard and keep it protected in the compartment while plugged in at campgrounds.
__________________
Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410, now at a new home
2006 Roadtrek Versatile 210
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Alpine36's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Hoodsport Wa
Posts: 2,567
Yes, in series between the cord reel and ATS. Ideally somewhere easily accessible where you can still monitor the surge guard.
If that's not possible or a major pita, hardware in a Progressive Dynamics unit with a remote monitor panel and sell the surge guard.
__________________
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:07 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 315
I installed mine but I also installed a Hughes Autoformer.

To accomplish this I installed a 50A female receptacle after the Power Reel and a 50A male pigtail hardwired into the Transfer Switch.

The Autoformer plugs into the receptacle coming off the Power Reel. The male end of the Surge Protector plugs into the Autoformer and the female end of the Surge Protector plugs into the pigtail hard wired into the Transfer Switch.

To do what you want to do you would do to the same, install a 50A male pigtail hard wired into the Transfer Switch, then the 50A female receptacle coming off the power reel.

Quite frankly, since you are going through all that I would recommend installing the Hughes Autoformer, it's well worth the money. But even if you don't, it will still be wired where an Autoformer would be easily pluged in anytime in the future. Here is what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Autoformer.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	318563  
__________________
Scott R
2019 London Aire 4543 SL605 FCCC
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
I installed mine but I also installed a Hughes Autoformer.

To accomplish this I installed a 50A female receptacle after the Power Reel and a 50A male pigtail hardwired into the Transfer Switch.

The Autoformer plugs into the receptacle coming off the Power Reel. The male end of the Surge Protector plugs into the Autoformer and the female end of the Surge Protector plugs into the pigtail hard wired into the Transfer Switch.

To do what you want to do you would do to the same, install a 50A male pigtail hard wired into the Transfer Switch, then the 50A female receptacle coming off the power reel.

Quite frankly, since you are going through all that I would recommend installing the Hughes Autoformer, it's well worth the money. But even if you don't, it will still be wired where an Autoformer would be easily pluged in anytime in the future. Here is what I did.
Doesn't the autoformer have surge protection built in? If I read correctly the surge board is around $55 if it needs replaced. Why have another surge protection on the back side of the autoformer when it performs that role already and if the board needs replaced, it's a lot cheaper than replacing to downstream separate surge protector.

Maybe I'm missing something?
Cory2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Luv2go's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,463
There are many threads on iRV2 regarding this for your reading pleasure.
__________________
Stewart, Brenda and kids
2008 Newmar Canyon Star 3410, now at a new home
2006 Roadtrek Versatile 210
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Hittntheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Morehead City NC
Posts: 485
I got the Hughes Power Watchdog. You monitor it through an app on your phone. Shows voltage, amps, watts and energy. You can mount it anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE97287B-393A-4D54-B2A2-9A7A58294D7F.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	318786   Click image for larger version

Name:	5E0E6397-79B2-4DD7-87AB-E5728E5FED3F.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	318787  

__________________
2016 Jayco Precept 31 UL
Hittntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:18 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntheroad View Post
I got the Hughes Power Watchdog. You monitor it through an app on your phone. Shows voltage, amps, watts and energy. You can mount it anywhere.
That is a surge protector only. Not an EMS. Low voltage is the problem with campgrounds. Surge only will not protect from low voltage.
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BHS. Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale MA. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:23 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 3,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Doesn't the autoformer have surge protection built in? If I read correctly the surge board is around $55 if it needs replaced. Why have another surge protection on the back side of the autoformer when it performs that role already and if the board needs replaced, it's a lot cheaper than replacing to downstream separate surge protector.

Maybe I'm missing something?
https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-...o0_1M3_i4tQ-P0

https://thecampingnerd.com/rv-surge-...30-amp-50-amp/

https://www.technorv.com/articles/do...rge-protector/

https://hughesautoformers.com/run-yo...arding-nfpa70/
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BHS. Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale MA. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:28 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
scbwr's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Ridgeville, OH
Posts: 2,454
I posted this back in 2020:

Another option is to remove the coaches power cord from the transfer switch. Replace it with an electric range cord. Install female plug on the end of the power cord. Then, you can have the range cord connected to the EMS and the EMS connected to the power cord. That's what I did and it has worked well. If necessary, you can bypass the EMS unit if you had to due to it failing.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55353-F...5794258&sr=8-2
__________________
Retired but busier than ever!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
5 Star Tune, SumoSprings, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, Blue Ox Avail
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
surge guard, wiring



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SURGE GUARD PROTECTION - on Tiffin Progressive vs Surge Guard? JimLuk Tiffin Owner's Forum 17 12-24-2020 09:36 PM
Southwire Surge Guard 34951 hillbilly3 Travel Trailer Discussion 9 07-11-2020 10:56 AM
Hardwiring Hotspot to WiFiRanger Training Wheels Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 10 03-25-2017 07:44 AM
Surge Guard portable surge protector Bymorris Class A Motorhome Discussions 15 11-30-2013 07:39 AM
hardwiring a t'stat to furnace kayo RV Systems & Appliances 2 05-25-2009 11:58 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.