Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #15

Most, No.
Reason you need a gen for 1 night ??
99% are 1 night stays.
Gen policy varries by place..
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
For those that don’t have hookups do they allow the use of one’s generator?
HH’s website recommends not using the gen at night so as to not disturb hosts or fellow travelers. But I gotta tell ya, if I’m parking somewhere in the south in the middle of summer, I’m using the gen all night, and I suspect most hosts in that part of the country wouldn’t have an issue with it.

I see you are from MS, so you know what I’m talking about.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
HH’s website recommends not using the gen at night so as to not disturb hosts or fellow travelers. But I gotta tell ya, if I’m parking somewhere in the south in the middle of summer, I’m using the gen all night, and I suspect most hosts in that part of the country wouldn’t have an issue with it.

Try heading north during the summer, and you'll find many places where you will not need to run the a/c at night to get a good night's sleep. It was in the 50s the other night and I was on the verge of running the heat. That's why these things have wheels - so you can head to a different area and escape the heat in the south or the cold winter in the north.

We've greatly enjoyed the HH program and particularly enjoy the non-standard type of locations. One that we found great was the Poplar Grove airport in Belvedere IL. They have a small air museum, and a great little private airport. Since it's a truly private airport, you pretty much have full access to sit alongside the runway and watch dozens of antique airplanes come and go all day. We were even luckier in that Belvedere was having their annual classic car show and street fair that weekend, so we were able to get a double header.

Many of the HH sites make a great stopping point for exploring the more out-of-the way locations. Being able to dry camp for a few nights at a time makes it really possible to explore areas without campgrounds and still be comfortable.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post

Exactly why I was asking. I got to have my AC. Even if it is for just one night.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Exactly why I was asking. I got to have my AC. Even if it is for just one night.
jt

Come up here to the north - go far enough upstate and most of the summer you'll be tempted to run the heat, not the a/c.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That would be nice! Wish I could make that happen for July and August. It’s miserable here.
jt
Old 07-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post

However, we did not find the golf course addition helpful at all. Never found one that either knew about the program or had a place for an RV. Your experience might be better.

We were members of RV Golf Club, which got bought by HH 2-3 years ago. We like the golf courses because most of them have great restaurants.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 07-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post

We've greatly enjoyed the HH program and particularly enjoy the non-standard type of locations. One that we found great was the Poplar Grove airport in Belvedere IL. They have a small air museum, and a great little private airport. Since it's a truly private airport, you pretty much have full access to sit alongside the runway and watch dozens of antique airplanes come and go all day. We were even luckier in that Belvedere was having their annual classic car show and street fair that weekend, so we were able to get a double header.

We stayed at that Host last year for a night. Great place.

Regards

Chuck
Old 07-27-2020, 05:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Try heading north during the summer, and you'll find many places where you will not need to run the a/c at night to get a good night's sleep. It was in the 50s the other night and I was on the verge of running the heat. That's why these things have wheels - so you can head to a different area and escape the heat in the south or the cold winter in the north.

Many of the HH sites make a great stopping point for exploring the more out-of-the way locations. Being able to dry camp for a few nights at a time makes it really possible to explore areas without campgrounds and still be comfortable.

I would have to go to the mountains of Colorado or Montana to find any cool weather. I run my AC all of the time.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:08 AM   #24

Passport America is a better deal for 1 night stops while traveling that have full hook ups. A yearly cost is $44 and the active camp grounds offer 50% discount for camping, usually $15 - $25. There are restrictions as the number of nights allowed to stay, but usually 2 nights will pay for the yearly membership. On a typical 4 day drive, we will average 1-2 PPA stops.
https://www.passport-america.com/mem...mbership-rates
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Passport America is a better deal for 1 night stops while traveling that have full hook ups. A yearly cost is $44 and the active camp grounds offer 50% discount for camping, usually $15 - $25. There are restrictions as the number of nights allowed to stay, but usually 2 nights will pay for the yearly membership. On a typical 4 day drive, we will average 1-2 PPA stops.
https://www.passport-america.com/mem...mbership-rates
To us the benefits of the HH program sites are not being able to stay for free or low cost... It's being able to stay in places that are not campgrounds and have something interesting going on, like farms, airports, etc.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
90% are no hookups.
Some can handle 40 ft rig. Some only 24..
All are different. The app says max length & how many spots.
Some are just gravel or dirt.
What do you expect, free camping, great people, one winery we stopped at had live music that night..
Thanks but thought u have to pay a fee to join like Prime..
Old 07-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
We have the program with Golf and love it! We have been members for 3 years. This program was our savior when coming back east during the pandemic. We could not find any CG open, but HH let us stay even tho they were closed. Highly recommend the program!

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Stump View Post
Thanks but thought u have to pay a fee to join like Prime..

You do pay a fee to join, but nights are free once you join.
jt