RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

Has anybody replaced the dead bolt lock on their entry door?

Just received my just under $300.00 dead bolt lock from Newmar to replaced the original one where the small retaining feature on the end of the blade that passes through to engage both lock half's and lock mechanism rusted off and caused the lock to no longer unlock from the outside with the key.... fortunately the wife was still inside.... this brings up another question; how do you get into a locked motorhome without breaking something?

Back to the lock;
I have found it to be a serious test of patience and dexterity trying to get the 2 screws, blade for activating the lock, the two outside lock half's, and the lock mechanism all lined up to get the screws to engage in the outer half.

Anybody have the trick how to do?..either item.

newmar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think PDR John has this in his MOD & REPAIR Section in QT's # 3.
We will take a look.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #3

I added a rocker switch in the front drivers side compartment that controls that window. I also removed the electric lock to that compartment door, switch is allows hot so I don't need the key on. Switch is up high and hidden behind a group of wires. Have needed it yet but you never know
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #4

Thank you 007,

New user here for posting and searching on this site but have enjoyed many great posts and information since 2015, right after I got my 1st RV and see there is a lot more to look over now that I have found the link for searching.

Many Thanks again!!

Jerome
Old 06-28-2018, 09:50 PM   #5

Thank you 96kpmjmm,

Going to give your suggestion some serious consideration.

Not a good feeling when you lock the dead bolt and it has a slight hesitation and then continues to turn the same direction and then free wheels the other way with the bolt lock engaged....LOCKED OUT!!!!
Was on the North Shore, Lake Superior doing some late night fishing,,, smelt,,, fortunately the wife called it a night and was in the coach and could let me back in.

Safe Great travels!!

Jerome
Old 06-28-2018, 10:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
newmar1 asked "this brings up another question; how do you get into a locked motorhome without breaking something?"

My drivers side window is now always unlocked. While in storage my coach was broken into by someone knocking out the glass on the entry door.

While being repaired the broken glass fouled the door lock and it wouldn't open. Since then I've left my driver window unlocked.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #7

Well, we got it back together with the new dead bolt lock, this was the round, house style dead bolt. Thinking now I may have been able to get by with one from our local Menards possibly
What happened was there is a retaining feature on the blade that passes through the latch assembly, it rusted off and allowed the blade to slip further into the inside the non-key section (inside coach portion) that allowed it to disengage from the outside keyed section that it had been originally retained to. Ended up pulling it apart several times due to it being not free moving when using the key. lubed up the linkage and worked to get as free moving as possible. It looks like when you used the key to open the lock it side loads the linkage and causes some resistance, the hand latch works free and I could push the actual bolt easily by hand but when it came to using the key, too tight for my comfort. took some fine tuning with alignment and screw tightness to get the key to work as free as possible.
What I found worked best was to mount the keyed/outside section 1st, used the screws to hold in-place, then duck taped to hold it, pulled out the screws and carefully slide the inside section on to the blade and try not to move the linkage for the bolt because it will move over the threaded screw holes enough that you will not be able to get the screws to engage. I'm sure there is a better way, if not; I have compassion for the person putting these in for production. will try to attach a picture of the bad and new blade and the retaining feature.

Tags
ace, door, entry door, replace