Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #1

Has anyone done a factory pick up???

Intending to do a factory pick up (FPU) on a new 2018 Bay Star. Has anyone done one?

It is my understanding that you go to the factory and stay in the coach for several days and are assigned a tech from Newmar. The tech goes over the entire rig with you and they teach you the proper way to use all the systems. If there is something that needs to be fixed they will take it into the factory and fix it.

Question, is this process similar to a dealer walk through of the vehicle and a test drive before you sign the actual delivery and acceptance papers?

Next question concerns the cost of the factory pick up. I have read on here, in various posts, that the cost of the FPU gets added into the MSRP price and then discounted and others have said it doesn't. Which one is it or does it depend on the dealer? Same with specials, added or not?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge, experience and comments

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some of the dealers do a good factory pickup PDI as the factory, you should ask the dealer after I give you this information.
You will find some answers to your questions in this link, PDI, thread by DEEK on FPU, where to go for answers, good bad dealers and Newmar Country.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #3

We did FPU in April and below is a link to our thread of our experience. The price of the FPU is not discounted and has gone up this year. We would do it again and would recommend it depending on your level of knowledge about RVing and the coach you are purchasing. The higher end coaches have plenty of complicated systems and we learned much. In addition, we had several additional items installed during FPU, had paint issues corrected, and a few other items corrected that a dealer would have been hard pressed to complete. You will get many answers to your question and the value of FPU. FPU is usually for 5 days. I have seen folks complete it in 3 days and like us, we took 9 days. We felt the FPU was weel worth the price and well above what any dealer would have done.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/our-...ce-334784.html
Old 10-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Intending to do a factory pick up (FPU) on a new 2018 Bay Star. Has anyone done one?

It is my understanding that you go to the factory and stay in the coach for several days and are assigned a tech from Newmar. The tech goes over the entire rig with you and they teach you the proper way to use all the systems. If there is something that needs to be fixed they will take it into the factory and fix it.

Question, is this process similar to a dealer walk through of the vehicle and a test drive before you sign the actual delivery and acceptance papers?

Next question concerns the cost of the factory pick up. I have read on here, in various posts, that the cost of the FPU gets added into the MSRP price and then discounted and others have said it doesn't. Which one is it or does it depend on the dealer? Same with specials, added or not?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge, experience and comments
Definitely curious of responses on this, we ordered our Baystar 2 weeks ago with production set for spring 2018. As of now it's being delivered to dealer but wonder if we elected FPU if dealer would adjust price? There was a 995 prep. Did not see FPU as option on list.
micbob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #5

For us, as first time motorhome owners, the FPU was very worthwhile. We took delivery in Sept. 2015 and at that time I wrote a recap of our experience. If you would like a copy of the write-up please PM and I will send a copy to your e-mail address.

Allen
wam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam16 View Post
For us, as first time motorhome owners, the FPU was very worthwhile. We took delivery in Sept. 2015 and at that time I wrote a recap of our experience. If you would like a copy of the write-up please PM and I will send a copy to your e-mail address.

Allen
Same here as first timers, just trying to justify an additional 3k plus to wife. LOL
Old 10-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #7

You pay THEM 3k to show you how to use your new purchase and for them to fix things that should have been done before the unit was offered for delivery? How much do they charge for letting you buy it???
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
You pay THEM 3k to show you how to use your new purchase and for them to fix things that should have been done before the unit was offered for delivery? How much do they charge for letting you buy it???
Lol, good point. Just found out it's actually 4.5k to pickup. Would love experience but maybe out of range.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
True, or you can pick up your new coach at your dealer and deal with them to fix things in their good time. EVERY coach will have issues I don't care how much or how little you pay. I guess it boils down to how much/quickly you want to enjoy your new coach and how long you want the dealer to have your coach. It is all a matter of choice and the cost of FPU is just a very small % of the coach cost.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #10

You get a tech assigned to you for a full 5 days. Review the systems and operations, test drives to identify and correct any squeaks or items found.

It is an option on the standard build form. I took the order form, checked all the things I wanted and then shopped the list. The price, discounted, included the FPU price so in my mind it was part of the overall discount.

You can stay in your coach starting on the first night thru the end of the week. Any repairs other than paint will be done in the service building where you are doing your FPU.

Single tech is assigned and then his manager/lead is part of your week. If they need extra help they ask for it from the other team members working on other coaches.

Think of it as a PDI at a dealer on steroids. Some dealers do a great job, some don't This team is phenomenal at the factory. You won't get short changed. The coach has been gone through top to bottom and most things found have already been corrected by the time you arrive. Yep a dealer is supposed to do the same thing. But saying again, some do and some don't. And I don't know of any dealers that will assign a tech to you, totally devoted to you, for 5 days.

First time buyers of a coach for us. So it was a no brainer.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The FPU should be free, we're saving them the cost of delivery.

Any defects corrected during FPU are covered under warranty--no charge!

Factory Tech's time: $120/hr X 40hrs = $4,800
Make good use of the Tech's time, that's what we're paying for.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #12

JMHO -

When you negotiate the price from your selling dealer - just be sure there is a line item for the Credit for the FPO - this is work he is not doing - I would also look for the line item for the delivery from the factory.

These are two items that are not required from the selling dealer so there should be a CREDIT.

If you don't get it, the credit, one way or another, then that's on YOU.

So if you are doing factory pick up - then shop the heck out of the price - as you will be using the factory for service from here on out.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
JMHO -

When you negotiate the price from your selling dealer - just be sure there is a line item for the Credit for the FPO - this is work he is not doing - I would also look for the line item for the delivery from the factory.

These are two items that are not required from the selling dealer so there should be a CREDIT.

If you don't get it, the credit, one way or another, then that's on YOU.

So if you are doing factory pick up - then shop the heck out of the price - as you will be using the factory for service from here on out.

JMHO,
In my case order has been placed and deal signed. I would need to go back and work with dealer on what would need to be discounted of FPU. Only line I see is prep fee in relation to delivery to dealer.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #14
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
The cost of FPU is the same shell game played with all your costs. If the dealer charges you $X for pickup from them and the same amount for FPU than there is no cost for FPU.

Or, they are overcharging you for pickup with them. Unless you are privy to their real costs, we are just conjecturing. If you get the coach at a 20% discount off MSRP and get FPU “free” did you get a better deal than getting a 25% discount and pay $4500 for FPU? Ok, one more time if I increase my price by 200% then give you 50% off, did you save anything?

The dealer and Newmar is going to make a profit, or they will not sell to you.

On FPU value, for new owners look at it as a right of passage. We did it and will cherish the experience even if we really did spend more. Would we do it again? Depends on who we buy from.

Hope this helps clarify a very confusing issue.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote