Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do not think Spartan has a steer tag, you can see why, their tag lifts I believe.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #16
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Interesting. So the two tag axle steers appear to be free castering, not connected together in anyway and lock straight with the air pin mechanism.
Gary,

If I understand your question, the tags are connected and steer together. If you look at the bottom left of the first video, you can see the controller arm from the tag wheel attached to the toe link which goes all the way across to the other tag wheel. Thats how I was able to determine the different timing for the extending and retracting of the plungers from driver side to passenger side.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #17

Thanks RD. So in your case if one side unlocks and the other doesn't wonder how long the force overloads will last before something breaks. Looking for you update after you show the videos to FL.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I do not think Spartan has a steer tag, you can see why, their tag lifts I believe.
Alas the Spartans also have a steer tag:-(
univmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #19

I don't hear anyone complaining about steerable Spartan tags (other than the maybe Buckeyes), but we haven't asked. Anyone have any issues (specifically with tag axle alignment or in general for that matter) with the Spartan chassis up and down the Newmar product line?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
Why the hell we need steerable tags when tag busses for the last 50 years have been turning without issues! My tag lifts if I hold the tag dump switch but I just came out of spot 1006 at Tucson Rincon West 2 days ago where guys with 35 footers were cringing if they had to drive out of the same spot. I never seem to need a steerable tag - it ranks right up there with auto braking because drivers are not paying attention when they drive. Basically learn to drive, scope out the spot before you back in or drive out and have a reliable spotter. Isn't there enough crap that goes wrong on these new coaches? I feel sorry for some owners that spend most of their holidays camped at the service centres. Sorry for the rant but we should tell these coach manufacturers to dumb them down a bit.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cool videos
i don't have a tag bus.....
but from an aviation engineering aspect...two pieces of metal touching each other, even with slight movement equals short life of the two items.
Cant imagine they put that cylinder end, unprotected against metal to metal contact. The engineers should have put some sort of isolator on the end of the piston or on the plate. really hard to believe they didn't leave something off??

you can really see that once the one actuator backs off, the pressure from the opposite actuator is driving the wheel to turn from the force applied by that opposite actuator, no wonder your eating up tag tires.
wonder why they didn't use an isolator or some other means of chaffing prevention, i bet that ear will look like hammered crap in short order, no to mention the noise or squeaks and constant chatter like a rivet gun anvil, even the best balanced wheel is going to wiggle
will watch to see the outcome.....
F/L engineers need to IMO take a hard look
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #22

There is a difference in chassis and Spartan is the one to order when you choice your next Newmar.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
2017 Cornerstone we have 17000 miles with no problem. Look like the same set up that Spartan has!!
Anthem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #24

Cornerstone are on a Spartan chassis and should have steerable rear axle if a 2017. The issue with this posting on the Newmar forum is with FL chassis. Good to hear if your steerable tag axle is working OK.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #25

Yikes!

I just picked up my VT 12/20/16 and have not driven it very far.

My VIN is on the list in the pdf.

Just have to wait and see....
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TiresRollin View Post
Why the hell we need steerable tags when tag busses for the last 50 years have been turning without issues! My tag lifts if I hold the tag dump switch but I just came out of spot 1006 at Tucson Rincon West 2 days ago where guys with 35 footers were cringing if they had to drive out of the same spot. I never seem to need a steerable tag - it ranks right up there with auto braking because drivers are not paying attention when they drive. Basically learn to drive, scope out the spot before you back in or drive out and have a reliable spotter. Isn't there enough crap that goes wrong on these new coaches? I feel sorry for some owners that spend most of their holidays camped at the service centres. Sorry for the rant but we should tell these coach manufacturers to dumb them down a bit.
I agree 100%. There is far too much unneeded and potentially expensive to repair equipment put on these coaches today.
And the steerable tag makes the coach fugly with front wheels on the back.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #27
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
cool videos
i don't have a tag bus.....
but from an aviation engineering aspect...two pieces of metal touching each other, even with slight movement equals short life of the two items.
Thats another problem with this design. The constant banging is creating a groove on the steel plate. Over time, the grooves will deepen on both sides. How deep, will have to see and how much of a gap it will create, time will tell. The plungers are not self adjusting. So over time, it is likely the tag wheels will start having some play.
Mine were adjusted around 7500 mi. one of these days, I'll take pictures to show how deep the grooves are in over 5k driving, since last adjustment. I know mine already has a noticeable groove on both sides.

And once more, Mercedes/FCCC people are free to join us in this discussion and educate us on how well this system works.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Our son was gracious enough to let us borrow is Ventana over the New Year's holidays. It has the steerable axle on the Freightliner chassis 4500 miles. It drove great my first time to drive a Newmar. We left our Cornerstone in Lawrenceville Georgia after the grand opening. Being or going right back out to the East Coast for the Tampa Show. So what I'm saying is I've driven both of them can't see a lot of difference between the Freightliner steerable axle and the Spartan.
Anthem46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner