Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Have you heard

HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT THE CHANGE IN A FACTORY DELIVERY

I convinced a neighbor of mine to purchase a new Newmar coach instead of a Tiffin and also suggested a factory pickup which in the past has included 5 days Monday- Friday. I kept talking about the 5 days and he just sent me an email from Newmar that states the CPU package includes 20 hours of pre-delivery inspection prior to arrival and then 16 hours of delivery time with a dedicated tech to go over the systems and functions. And you get a full tank of fuel.
A big change with no notice and I am disappointed because I misled my neighbor.
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2020, 07:56 PM   #2

Possibly a result of the Winnebago takeover .
Old 05-30-2020, 08:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We had one on Feb and that is the way it was worded. It was really more of a flex time where we spent some time each day in training and we also spent some time unpacking, trying things out, test drives and practicing.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:38 PM   #4

Total of 36 hours. Sounds like a work week.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
It has always been where the coach was checked by a list before the customer got there but then after the customer got there they were given 5 days with a tech
Old 05-31-2020, 05:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by freen03 View Post
CPU package includes 20 hours of pre-delivery inspection prior to arrival and then 16 hours of delivery time with a dedicated tech to go over the systems and functions.
We did factory delivery in 2015. I don't recall ever seeing a written document of what was included. I would say that the specs above closely match what we received.
Yes, we were allowed to be there for 5 days. (we actually stayed for 4 days)
Day 1 probably included about 6 hours with the tech finalizing all paperwork and covering all aspects of the coach operation.
Day 2 included about 4 hours re-covering details we didn't catch the first day and arranging for service on minor issues that we found.
Day 3 included about 3 hours covering assorted topics and driving the coach.
Day 4 was a couple hours and finishing up everything.

There was additional time spent by the tech, service, and paint departments fixing issues that we found but I consider this as service/warranty and not time dedicated to customer delivery.

After 5 years of ownership, I still believe that factory delivery was the single best option we selected for our coach purchase. The orientation was excellent and thorough and the repairs/issues were dealt with by well trained service staff that truly know what they are doing.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:22 PM   #7

Seems like a lot better deal than what you get with a dealer pickup. I wish I had done the FPU for my little BSS. Nice to have the factory people there you can have come and look at the errors and omissions they let through the process. Nice to have factory people there to demonstrate the features, and fix those that don’t work. A lot less back and forth between customer/dealer/manufacturer to resolve problems. You can get a lot of stuff done in 16 hours of a tech time.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
20 hours of pre-delivery inspection prior to arrival? That's a lot time just for inspection considering that having one inspected by a certified RVIA inspector only takes 6-8 hrs. I suspect that includes repairing all the things got past the plant inspection. Having said that, it is still a lot more time then a dealership spends. I'm thinking it is worth it.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #9

Has there been a change in the price of the CPU?
GetOutZMap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutZMap View Post
Has there been a change in the price of the CPU?
Price may change each year but the time a tech spends with the customer may have changed
Old 06-01-2020, 02:13 PM   #11

We did the 5 day program in '16 and in reality, we didnt have the tech for 5 days. We had access to him for 5 days but we didnt use him in a dedicated capacity. I know for a fact that he was helping other coaches while he had ours and I was fine with that. I think it was on day 4 we told him to just give us a day alone as it was. This doesn't overly disturb me. I would be more concerned if things weren't getting addressed because of the time restriction, but its too early to suggest that will happen.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Seems like a lot better deal than what you get with a dealer pickup. I wish I had done the FPU for my little BSS. Nice to have the factory people there you can have come and look at the errors and omissions they let through the process. Nice to have factory people there to demonstrate the features, and fix those that don’t work. A lot less back and forth between customer/dealer/manufacturer to resolve problems. You can get a lot of stuff done in 16 hours of a tech time.
This depends on the dealer 100%. I have purchased two new Dutch Stars one right off the floor. This was from the dealer where we bought our used 2002 MA and then one as an ordered unit from another dealer that I had some experience with while owning the 2015 DS. Night and day doesn't even begin to describe the differences.

The first dealer did the same old BS. The sales person walked through the unit which took about an hour or so and we stayed there for a couple of days and they fixed several small items. Have a nice day!

We ordered our second new unit as a build as we wanted to change a few things that we had in the first one. Both were 4369's but we moved and changed several things. Something like $45 k of up charges but we wanted it the way we wanted it. I was at the plant for the last weeks of the build and got to do the final inspection with the plant inspector. BTW he found way more that I could have even thought of. I think I found two or three things and he had a half days work for them. I watched my coach delivery driver hook up at 7:00 am and drive off to the dealer about 150 miles away.

When I got to the dealer about four days later the coach was inside and ready. Now keep in mind that we were going from the same coach to the same coach or at least almost the same. We started at the front door with the dealerships delivery Technician (also the same person that did the PDI on the coach) and we went around the outside until we got to the door once again. That took almost an hour and one half. We entered the coach and started from the front to the back returning to the front. This took almost three hours. They pulled the coach outside next to my 2015 and it took the better part of two and one half days to transfer everything over. As soon as we would turn around the delivery tech or our sales person was there to answer any questions or fix any requests.

Now after all that were there a few items that showed up in the next year or so, of course. But that being said there may have been 15 to 18 items most of which I could have fixed myself but that the factory handled at Nappanee when we returned a year later.

The dealer was MidWay in Grand Rapids MI. All of the Techs are salary so there are no excuses as to why it was not done correctly. Dealer principle is there every day.

I'm sure there are other dealers that do a good job as well.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #13

I would think that if the punchlist was a mile long they would take as long as needed to repair the items on the list regardless of any time constraints of the FPU program.

I spent 5 days at the factory after purchase and didn't pay anything for that time. It was all under warranty.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
This depends on the dealer 100%. I have purchased two new Dutch Stars one right off the floor. This was from the dealer where we bought our used 2002 MA and then one as an ordered unit from another dealer that I had some experience with while owning the 2015 DS. Night and day doesn't even begin to describe the differences.

The first dealer did the same old BS. The sales person walked through the unit which took about an hour or so and we stayed there for a couple of days and they fixed several small items. Have a nice day!

We ordered our second new unit as a build as we wanted to change a few things that we had in the first one. Both were 4369's but we moved and changed several things. Something like $45 k of up charges but we wanted it the way we wanted it. I was at the plant for the last weeks of the build and got to do the final inspection with the plant inspector. BTW he found way more that I could have even thought of. I think I found two or three things and he had a half days work for them. I watched my coach delivery driver hook up at 7:00 am and drive off to the dealer about 150 miles away.

When I got to the dealer about four days later the coach was inside and ready. Now keep in mind that we were going from the same coach to the same coach or at least almost the same. We started at the front door with the dealerships delivery Technician (also the same person that did the PDI on the coach) and we went around the outside until we got to the door once again. That took almost an hour and one half. We entered the coach and started from the front to the back returning to the front. This took almost three hours. They pulled the coach outside next to my 2015 and it took the better part of two and one half days to transfer everything over. As soon as we would turn around the delivery tech or our sales person was there to answer any questions or fix any requests.

Now after all that were there a few items that showed up in the next year or so, of course. But that being said there may have been 15 to 18 items most of which I could have fixed myself but that the factory handled at Nappanee when we returned a year later.

The dealer was MidWay in Grand Rapids MI. All of the Techs are salary so there are no excuses as to why it was not done correctly. Dealer principle is there every day.

I'm sure there are other dealers that do a good job as well.

X2 on Midway. Bryan and Ryan were our techs. Their stated goal “To have the coach as close to perfect as it can be.” They do not want you to leave unless you are comfortable with the coach. One heck of a team