Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Unhappy HDMI cable end

I have a 2014 DS 4360 - the HDMI cable that goes from the stereo/satellite compartment to the televator TV has a bad HDMI end at the televator end. Does anyone know if the cable can be replaced ( easily without tearing out walls and floors and ceiling - lol)or if there is a way to replace the HDMI end?
madmaxx52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #2

Mad Maxx, I am a 'ME TO' on this. My 2014 Ventana has a bad cable from the TV splitter over the drivers seat to the LR Televator. BUT I had 2 cables from the splitters, a second one from the DVD player in the drivers overhead compartment. So I swapped the good cable from the DVD to the TV splitter on the source end for a workaround. Now I have TV but no DVD which we never used. If we want to watch a DVD we do it in the BR or outside TV. I still would like to replace the cable if someone can suggest how. We will both be watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx52 View Post
I have a 2014 DS 4360 - the HDMI cable that goes from the stereo/satellite compartment to the televator TV has a bad HDMI end at the televator end. Does anyone know if the cable can be replaced ( easily without tearing out walls and floors and ceiling - lol)or if there is a way to replace the HDMI end?
Old 08-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why not tie a string to the broken end and then pull the wire from the good end. If it pulls through with the string tied to it you can then retire the string to a new cable and pull back. I would do this with 2 people--one pulling and one feeding. If it works great! If it doesn't what do you lose?
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I can tell you that HDMI cable ends CAN'T be replaced.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Most times you can't use the old wires to pull the new ones. When the wires are installed they are usually wire tied to keep them from moving around. It's worth a try, but it's never worked for me. Depending on the run and accessibility you might be able to run a fish then pull a new cable.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #6

There are replacement ends available.... just a pain soldering the 19 wires. There is a screw on connector meant for being mounted on a circuit board, but since it's going behind the TV on the t elevator and out of sight , it might be an option and then you don't need to do all the tiny soldering.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
A possible quick, easy fix would be to buy a wireless HDMI adaptor. Unfortunately it'll probably cost around $200. Just Google "wireless HDMI" or check Amazon or Newegg.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
You might want to try a this website for cables and accessories www.monoprice.com
Very reasonable prices and a good assortment.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We had the same issue with the tv hdmi cable,
so bought a $60 (iirc) hdmi switcher from best buy and plugged the dvd players and directv cable into the back and then the dvd cable to the tv was used as the output
so we could switch the source from tv to dvd whenever we wanted to...

We got a 4 way splitter, but this two way should work too
Old 08-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought the HDMI end that you can screw on....pretty much impossible to do since every cable uses different color codes. I called several companies that do installs....they said it was something they've never ben successful at. The problem with my coach (would have just run another cable) is that every was moves except the half bath. I bought one of the wireless HDMI transmitters, since this was for our bedroom TV, it works well.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
We had the same issue with the tv hdmi cable,
so bought a $60 (iirc) hdmi switcher from best buy and plugged the dvd players and directv cable into the back and then the dvd cable to the tv was used as the output
so we could switch the source from tv to dvd whenever we wanted to...

We got a 4 way splitter, but this two way should work too
This is your answer and there are auto switchers that can sense which line is active and switchers that can be remotely switched , whatever you use don't cheap out , buy a quality unit. Just make sure whatever caused the original cable to go bad isn't still happening since your down to the final cable . Since its on a televator is it rubbing or pulling on the cable ? Perhaps it just went bad but normally if worked and now stopped something caused it
Old 08-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #12

The HDMI cable ends can be replaced. Check this U-Tube video to see how:
Replacement ends can be purchased from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_6n4j5al4t_b.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #13

Here is another video for replacing the end connectors.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you

Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas - I have spent hours upon hours attempting to find a solution using the existing stuff. I already did use the dvd cable for the satellite as suggested since I don't use dvd's often if at all, but I wanted to make everything work like it was meant to. I really like the idea of the switcher/automatic switcher - great idea. The wireless HD signal transmitter is also a great idea - it's not hard to figure out why I come to these forums to get solutions - there are always so many great ones.
As for what caused the problem - there is no telling. The cable was/is not rubbing on anything - it just seems to be a bad end connection. I can make it work if I push it together as tightly as I can with both hands into the female connector, but as soon as I let up just a little on the pressure - the picture stops. I did look at installing a new end - but the connection process is way to complicated - either soldering or screw in connections - main problem being getting the right wire to the right place (19 wires there are a lot of possibilities)

Thanks again to all
madmaxx52 is offline   Reply With Quote