Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #1

HDMI Matrix

Does newmar (mountain air-london air) have a hdmi matrix like american coach or even winnebago?
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I may be slow....what is an HDMI matrix?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #3

Hdmi Matrix switch? I believe they do
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:53 AM   #4

Hi! No they do not. They are broken up into two groups. The bedroom would be one for Sat. The front and outside tv's are the other. They use a 3 to one or 4 to one multiswitch. Regards, Paul
Old 05-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #5

Hi! Sorry. I didn't finish my answer. An HDMI Matrix would be the ability to switch inputs on an HDMI wire to a certain TV. Like the old days when you had buttons on a box to allow what input you wanted for a certain TV. Now they feed each TV with two HDMI cables. One for Sat, and one for Blu-Ray. You change the input selection on the TV. They feed more then one tv with the 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 HDMI switch boxes. Regards, Paul
Old 05-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #6

Thanks for the answers
Old 05-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Paul means they use an HDMI splitter to feed multiple TVs from each source. The main sat box and/or BRD player feed all the TVs in the LR area, as well as the outside (basement) TV.

The bedroom will have it's own sat receiver and BRD/DVD player.

I'm pretty sure you can get an HDMI matrix as an option or special. Or have them run an HDMI cable from the BR TV to the main entertainment cabinet and put in your own later.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Paul means they use an HDMI splitter to feed multiple TVs from each source. The main sat box and/or BRD player feed all the TVs in the LR area, as well as the outside (basement) TV.

The bedroom will have it's own sat receiver and BRD/DVD player.

I'm pretty sure you can get an HDMI matrix as an option or special. Or have them run an HDMI cable from the BR TV to the main entertainment cabinet and put in your own later.
The hdmi matrix systems send signals through 2 cat 6 cables then convert to hdmi at each tv it allows one to choose (between 2 sat receivers and blue ray players) at each tv independent of what is viewed on the other tv's.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
The hdmi matrix systems send signals through 2 cat 6 cables then convert to hdmi at each tv it allows one to choose (between 2 sat receivers and blue ray players) at each tv independent of what is viewed on the other tv's.
Matrix switches and UTP (Cat 5, Cat5e, Cat6) transmission of HDMI signals are totally separate things.

A true HDMI matrix is multiple HDMI inputs, multiple HDMI outputs. SOME matrix switches may use UTP cables as their outputs, but that's not the norm.

HDBaseT equipment (matrix switches, transmitters, and receivers) use ONE UTP cable for transmission of an HDMI signal. Older technologies required two UTP cables to do the same thing.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #10

I have an Essex on order and got very familiar with Newmar's AV set up. It is exactly as Paul described.

I did not like the limitations of the stock set up. I sometimes have more than two inputs, like a second sat receiver, or Apple TV or computer to interface. I would have to a add couple more 1 x 4 distribution boxes and then had to have 4 HDMI cables to each TV which is expensive and cumbersome.

So I created a solution. They are deleting the two 4 x 1 distribution switches. Newmar is running an HDMI cable to each TV from the A/V cabinet. I will supply the 4 x 4 Matrix distribution box. That will give me the ability to have 4 inputs that can be viewed on each or any of the 4 TV's in any combination. I am purchasing the Matrix 4 x 4 from Riverpark since they supply all the other Video equipment and they will assure compatibility. They are interested in how it works and all be there during my factory delivery to check it out.

I also had them install an HDMI cable to the front two TV's and have the outlet on the wall near the recliners. This will allow me to view media from my laptop on either front TV. Could do this wirelessly, but sometimes wired is better. Great for slide shows, videos of trips etc.

This may be overkill, but much it covers all bases for us.

The only negative is that the input device will be controlled from the matrix 4 x 4 distribution switch rather than from the TV input button on the remote. But with IR it should be no problem.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #11

Hi Joe! I did pretty much the same thing when we built our 2012 and then on our 2015. The only difference is I didn't add the outlet for front TV's. I am using a 4x4 HDMI Multiplexer. When we picked up our 2012, 3 guys from River Park came over to look at the install, and photograph it. I am glad they have come out with a Multiplexer. Do you have any info on it. Mine is now 4 years old, and would love to see what they came up with. Regards, Paul
Old 05-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #12

The Matrix 4 x 4 that RiverPark recommends is R014-MTX-404 which is supplied by the same company Newmar uses for all HDMI cables and HDMI splitters.

I sent you a PM also.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #13
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Does newmar (mountain air-london air) have a hdmi matrix like american coach or even winnebago?

No, Newmar's system consists of a couple of HDMI splitters and relies on the individual TVs to select among the separate HDMI signals feeding each.

I wish I would have done more research on how they wire HDMI. If so, I would have done as suggested here to simply have Newmar run HDMI home runs from the AV cabinet to every TV, then supply my own HDMI matrix switcher.

You should see what they do on the lower end coaches if you don't order their HDMI option - comical for 2015.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post
I have an Essex on order and got very familiar with Newmar's AV set up. It is exactly as Paul described.

I did not like the limitations of the stock set up. I sometimes have more than two inputs, like a second sat receiver, or Apple TV or computer to interface. I would have to a add couple more 1 x 4 distribution boxes and then had to have 4 HDMI cables to each TV which is expensive and cumbersome.

So I created a solution. They are deleting the two 4 x 1 distribution switches. Newmar is running an HDMI cable to each TV from the A/V cabinet. I will supply the 4 x 4 Matrix distribution box. That will give me the ability to have 4 inputs that can be viewed on each or any of the 4 TV's in any combination. I am purchasing the Matrix 4 x 4 from Riverpark since they supply all the other Video equipment and they will assure compatibility. They are interested in how it works and all be there during my factory delivery to check it out.

I also had them install an HDMI cable to the front two TV's and have the outlet on the wall near the recliners. This will allow me to view media from my laptop on either front TV. Could do this wirelessly, but sometimes wired is better. Great for slide shows, videos of trips etc.

This may be overkill, but much it covers all bases for us.

The only negative is that the input device will be controlled from the matrix 4 x 4 distribution switch rather than from the TV input button on the remote. But with IR it should be no problem.

Could you please share with me how much Newmar charged for this custom upgrade. We are looking at a new coach and are trying to get estimates on changes we want made.
Avspaces is offline   Reply With Quote