Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
HDMI Splitters

Helping a friend install a elevator in a 4369 that was ordered without one. Issue is getting HDMI signal to set.

My thought is to add a 2 way splitter on the HDMI input to the outside TV with one output going to the outside TV and the second output back into the coach and feed to the elevator.

Anything wrong with my logic ?

Thanks,
lagawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagawne View Post
Helping a friend install a elevator in a 4369 that was ordered without one. Issue is getting HDMI signal to set.

My thought is to add a 2 way splitter on the HDMI input to the outside TV with one output going to the outside TV and the second output back into the coach and feed to the elevator.

Thanks,
Sounds right to me...I just used one to connect my bedroom TV to ROKU.
I think the set up u are talking about will work.
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #3

What elevator are you using?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #4

One does not usually distribute HDMI signals from one TV to another TV; one usually distributes the RF (OTA broadcast, satellite feed to receivers) or cable TV signals to TVs. I just took a look at my TV and it does NOT have an HDMI output, only inputs, but whatever Newmar installed might have it, I just can't tell from my desk.

Were you able to find an HDMI output on the outside TV, the TV inside the coach would only be able to watch whatever was playing outside.

Take a look at where the signals to the outside TV come from and maybe re-think this.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #5

We used an hdmi splitter in our home gym two tv operate of of one receiver. The splitter has worked for going on 6 years.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #6

You can buy an HDMI splitter with one output going to the new TV and the second output to the old TV. The video sources (DTV receiver etc) go to the HDMI switch Input.

But...you run into possible issues with "EDID" This makes it difficult to get the best resolution on both TVs. Its a worse issue if the two TVs aren't the same display resolution. Typically the worst TVs settings get used on both TVs.
If you get a good quality splitter, then it's less of an issue.

Better than a splitter is a switch. This then allows both TVs to watch two separate things at once. Your video sources go to the input of the HDMI switch, and the TVs go on the output. You then select which source goes to which TV (TVs).

I would not use RF cable now-a-days. Much worse picture quality. Most equipment doesn't even support it anymore. I just upgraded the MountainAire to get rid of all of the composite signal TVs, receivers, etc. and switched all to HDMI.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Thanks,

This might work better - but I'm no expert
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...hoC6rwQAvD_BwE
Trvl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My guess is that you're trying to find the simplest route to the new televator TV. I think your idea will work. Worse case scenario, it's not too often that you watch both the inside TV and outside TV at the same time. If the signal doesn't work well. Just get an HDMI union (two female ends) and connect one TV at a time to the main HDMI feed to the outside TV.

You can also do a wireless HDMI connection to the TV, but they can be problematic at the main splitter.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Think there is a mis-understanding. We are not daisy chaining TV's. Plan is to disconnect the HDMI from outside TV and install a splitter and then have one output feed the outside TV and the second output feed the new televator. 2 TV's being feed from the original feed to the outside unit.

Have not decided which elevator to use. Any input would be appreciated. Does anyone know the brand that Newmar uses?

Thanks,
lagawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:07 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Think there is a mis-understanding. We are not daisy chaining TV's. Plan is to disconnect the HDMI from outside TV and install a splitter and then have one output feed the outside TV and the second output feed the new televator. 2 TV's being feed from the original feed to the outside unit.

Have not decided which elevator to use. Any input would be appreciated. Does anyone know the brand that Newmar uses?

Thanks,
There is no reason this won't work. This is what Newmar does OEM, except they put the HDMI splitter somewhere else. On my Bay Star it's still the A/V cabinet over the driver. Now if you have multiple splitters inline (for example if Newmar is already splitting the signal between a overhead and outside TV), I don't know if there would be picture quality issues.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks,

You could possibly have some signal loss, if I follow correctly, you will be going through two splitters. The original and the new one that you are adding. Remember the cable going to the outside tv is coming from a splitter. That being said, Id give it a try. Good luck
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #12

If you are worried about signal loss, there are companies that make an amplified/powered HDMI splitter - anywhere from 2 to 8 ports. Used one in my old 5th wheel for a 20 run for an outside TV. Just Google it.
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have 2 powered splitters, both 3way. One takes the sat signal and sprites to the overhead TV, the televator TV and the outside TV. The other spliter does the same with the DVD signal. The bedroom is isolated and alone. Sad but true.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #14

Let's make sure we are on the same page....the OP is interested in "splitting" HDMI, not composite, not their Sat signal line.

HDMI can be a bear to work with as it's not just a video / audio signal, it's also a data handshake to the transmitter / receiver for display resolution and security stuff (all part of "EDID"). EDID can be a PITA to work with especially if the displays are different brands and resolutions.

Seems like some on this thread are thinking of the old fashioned video splitting of composite etc. HDMI is another whole ball of wax.

It's mostly about Hollywood concerned that there is no "middle man" recording their content. So, "splitting" and "extending" and similar have obstacles so the end to end chain is "secure".

So, let's not send the OP down expensive bunny paths.