Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #1

HDTV

This forum had a great solution to my HDTV distribution problem in my 2008 Essex. Using the component setting and wiring saved my a huge hassle. Now that I have the HD satellite "working" I am finding that when the resolution on the hughes revr is set to 1080, two of the HDTVs I have cannot handle the signal. I get no pic on one tv and the other is getting a nonpixelated wavy signal loss. It is as if the signal is too weak getting to the tv. I have checked the cables at both ends as best that I can but am struggling to find the solution. Any ideas? Could it be my multi switch has an issue?
Also, still not getting all of the expected channels from directv despite rebooting everything, refreshing recvr online etc.
Rad Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Have you gone into the menu on each of your TVs to see if you can set resolutions accepted? Some sets might only be able to handle 720p or 720i and might not be able to display a 1080 picture.

As for your DirecTv channels, which are you missing and where are you located relative to your stick house? You will lose all network/local channels once you venture very far from your home since these channels are spot beamed.

Good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Doc View Post
Using the component setting and wiring saved my a huge hassle.
Does this mean you used component video (YPbPr) cables to connect your TVs to your receiver?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have the amplifier for roof ANT shut off, may clear up TV's.
In QT's # 3 there are threads by PDR John with all kinds of info HDTV & HDMI hookup's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #5

I went to the HDTVs in coach and tried to set the resolutions but was unable to find them in any of the menu settings. They are all marked HDTV on the outside so it seems natural to assume they should handle 1080.
I am using the yrb cables to go from receiver to tv's instead of rewiring the coach with HDMI or using wireless systems I researched.
My stick house was 110 miles from the coach this weekend. I reset the zip code in receiver and ultimately got three satellites on the dish control.
I tried turning off the antenna boost but it didn't seen to effect the pic quality. Two of the smaller TVs do not have the wavy distorting, ghosting that the larger ones do.
Rad Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Doc View Post
I am using the yrb cables to go from receiver to tv's instead of rewiring the coach with HDMI or using wireless systems I researched.
Analog Sunset
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Another case of huge amounts of regular people being inconvenienced by the bad egg.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Another case of huge amounts of regular people being screwed by the bad egg.
Its kind of like apple and itunes. They want the money, show me the money, that all there is to it.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Doc

I did this in our 07 MA, however, I took another approach.

Let me ask some questions.
1) You have recently upgraded the exterior Satellite Dish to HD. Is it an Open Faced Dish having 3 LNBs (or cones on the head?)
2) I'm assuming you have all Sony TVs, where are they located? Are they original?
3) Where is your Electronics Cabinet located? Middle or Front?

The reason I'm asking these questions is because when I redid my MA I decided to go all HDMI and it wasn't all that difficult. I got to throw away the Switch Box entirely and the system operated like it would at your Stick Home; each tv worked independently.

The Switch Box was replaced by a Sony Stereo Receiver which vastly improved the Surround Sound quality, but because I had all Sony equipment AND HDMI, everything "spoke" to each other. What I mean is if you turned on the DVD the Receiver knew it and selected that DVD, etc.

In my case the Electronics Cabinet was above the Refrigerator. This project all started when my DW decided she had had it with our Norcold and wanted it out! We replaced it with a Samsung but that led to minor modifications of the Electronics Cabinet above the Refrigerator. Anyway, I found an easy way to route the HDMI to the front TV by removing the Crown Molding on the driver side and hiding the HDMI behind it. It was awesome!

Anyway, my whole upgrade to the HD Satellite Dish hung on me finding a way to get HDMI to my front TV, which was our primary TV. Doing that set the stage for a very successful upgrade.

Good luck!