Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Getting repairs done and some quotes on changes. Let me know if anyone will be there. I'm pretty sure I'll be alone though.

I won't list all the repairs as I've posted them in the past but, will report any interesting fixes/details.

Things I'm having quoted: (quoted only)
1. Separate thermostat on hydrohot blower in bathroom (it gets really hot when in cold weather, have to leave the door open)
2. Paint satellite dome w/non-metallic paint
3. Add dishwasher
4. Add residential fridge w/ice and water on door, AGM batteries and a 3000W true sign wave inverter. We already have a deeper fridge cabinet as I had a mid-ship TV added as a special. So I'm hoping one might fit. My batteries are going bad already so instead of replacing w/same I thought I'd see what it would take to go all electric. (BTW, I have taken are of my existing batteries to spec and used all the advice on this forum. Hopefully Newmar can get to the bottom of the problem.)
5. Full tile in front of coach.
6. Window above kitchen

Title changed by admin
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Getting repairs done and some quotes on changes. Let me know if anyone will be there. I'm pretty sure I'll be alone though.

I won't list all the repairs as I've posted them in the past but, will report any interesting fixes/details.

Things I'm having quoted: (quoted only)
1. Separate thermostat on hydrohot blower in bathroom (it gets really hot when in cold weather, have to leave the door open)
2. Paint satellite dome w/non-metallic paint
3. Add dishwasher
4. Add residential fridge w/ice and water on door, AGM batteries and a 3000W true sign wave inverter. We already have a deeper fridge cabinet as I had a mid-ship TV added as a special. So I'm hoping one might fit. My batteries are going bad already so instead of replacing w/same I thought I'd see what it would take to go all electric. (BTW, I have taken are of my existing batteries to spec and used all the advice on this forum. Hopefully Newmar can get to the bottom of the problem.)
5. Full tile in front of coach.
6. Window above kitchen

Title changed by admin
Old 01-29-2008, 02:01 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

With all those changes, you'd almost be better off considering a new coach..... seriously.

Going all electric and going with a new refrigerator won't be cheap....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 AM   #4

I agree with Bob. That's a big list of big stuff. Maybe it would be better to remove the rad cap and install a new all electric coach under it.

Peter
Old 01-29-2008, 04:22 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I knew this is what I'd hear if I posted these quotes, especially from Peter and Bob. First of all I am just exploring. Some items are more important than others.

Bought Dutch Star for $240k plus approx $5k post deliver "stuff" plus the time and expense of 1st year ownership/shakedown. Next, depreciation hit of about 20% after 1.5 seasons and the coach is worth barely $200k.

Will only upgrade to an Essex or the like which would probably come in at $450k+. Given that we only spend the equivalent of 2 months a year in the coach and put on 7,000 miles a year not sure an Essex makes sense.

If these quoted items come to $10-15k, might be worth it if we get these main convenience items out of the way.

re: all electric. It really wouldn't be all electric of course. Just seeing what the price will be for the fridge, inverter and AGM batts. The cabinet space, water line and outlet are already there.

That said, I still reserve the right to change my mind back and go to the Essex in the '10 model year.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:51 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I knew this is what I'd hear if I posted these quotes, especially from Peter and Bob. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Scott, at least I'm glad we're meeting your expectations....

As an aside, I actually got Jason to install a small switch in the forward stool room to turn the fan OFF in that room.... had my own sauna before that.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:15 AM   #7

Scott,
I think that Bob has the right idea. Go New! Have you received any quotes from Newmar on the options you want done? Dig deep! They are not cheap!

I got quotes before I had them do some things for me. I went to Duncan RV Services & Repair and saved a bundle of cash..........Thet got all the material they needed from Newmar such as tile etc. They are also an approved warranty shop for Newmar.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 AM   #8

Doing the options sound good to me-a lot less money than any model new coach! The best thing about Newmar is to be able to order specials on a new coach and do options after delivery. Part of the fun for us in owning a coach or boat is to be able to modify it to our specific needs/wants/desires, etc.

Working on new changes at the moment(based on ideas gotten at the Tampa show). One of which is to add a quick disconnect/bypass for the permanently installed Progressive Industries voltage protector to allow bypass upon failure.

Another is adding a heater(150 degree) on the windshield wiper squitter to help remove love bugs, etc.(also works on snow/ice although hopefully will never see them).
Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I had read about Duncan on this forum and will contact them while at Newmar. Probably drive up there.

Bob, thanks for the switch idea. That would actually be just as effective as a thermostat.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">add a quick disconnect/bypass for the permanently installed Progressive Industries voltage protector to allow bypass upon failure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! Why would we need that? We have the Progressive unit hard wired. I thought that when you turn the power switch off, it bypasses it?? I love hearing about all your great mods to your coach! Paul
Old 01-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #11

Paul, when you turn the unit off it only bypasse it during hi/low voltage. If it fails you have no way to bypass it unless you rewire it or you have a plug/play sytstem to physically bypass it(have talked to two different users who have had to physically bypass it).
Old 01-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #12

Hi! I did not know that. Thanks! Paul
Old 01-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #13

I guess I've been lucky. No surge protector, no problems over a total of 11 years. So, I guess I don't have to worry about by-passing. So, does this mean adding one adds more problem than it solves?

Peter
Old 01-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Peter, you are indeed fortunate....

In my '06 Vectra I became a believer when staying in Staunton,VA over a long weekend at an iRV2 function.
Seems the campground area we were in experienced a surge which destroyed the convection microwave and surround sound system in my coach.
Winnebago was very nice to cover those items under warranty and I've used some sort of surge guard ever since....