Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2022, 09:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Heading to Spartan

With cross border testing mandates becoming less restrictive I talked with Spartan yesterday and will be heading there 3rd week of March to get a few “upgrades”:

1) Red Diamond air levelling (real reason for going)
2) run flat tire inserts
3) centramatic wheel balancers

It’s a 9 hour drive for me to get there, so I’m hoping for a good weather window!

I’ll report back on the air levelling install and how well it works as soon as I can!
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Your post would be more relevant if we knew what coach you have?

Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Weird. It’s in my signature. 2022 Ventana 4334.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:09 AM   #4

My signature does not carry over when using the App Shortcut. I think if you use the website on any platform it will show your signature.
I have to rely on remembering to add our year/make/model so others know. Some days remembering is a challenge
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
That’s good to keep in mind!

Thanks 😊
Old 03-30-2022, 08:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Update:

Been back from Spartan now since Sunday here’s my observations of the upgrades I had done on the 2022 Ventana 4334:

1) Red Diamond run flats

These are supplied by Hutchison to Spartan. I’ve had them installed on the steer axle. Seems similar to the retroband system type of device. From a daily driving perspective, they don’t seem to make a difference (which is great) but they do provide some piece of mind that I’ll be better able to control a blowout should it occur. Price wasn’t that bad.

2) Red Diamond air levelling system (stage 1)

Since I’ve got a solid front axle, I was limited to stage 1. The system is provided by Valid engineering from BC. same people that provide the system on Spartan chassis that offer it as standard equipment. It’s not an active air suspension system, just air levelling, plus the ability to manually adjust the ride height from a digital touch screen - up to get over a grade issue so I don’t drag my coach or down if there’s a low branch or something. While it’s manual ride height changing and manual air dumping, it’s automatic levelling and travel height settings. It comes with an auxiliary compressor to keep the coach level over time even when the coach is off.

I tested it overnight at Spartan’s coach parking spots. If you’ve been there, you know there’s a couple spots that have a decent slope. I purposely put the coach there and gave it a try. It’s fast and accurate and kept the coach level all night. I didn’t feel the need to put down the jacks to stabilize as it felt rock solid. I’ve now had it parked in the driveway for three days and it’s working great.

3) centramatic wheel balancers.

They installed them on the rear drive and tag axles. They had some trouble with calliper clearance on the front axle so could not install, but they’ve been in touch with centramatic’s engineering department and apparently they are working on a fix.

Even with them just on the drive and tag axles, I feel I noticed an appreciable difference in ride smoothness on the drive back home. Now, I know some of that is probably in my head because I just paid for them, but I don’t think it’s all in my head. So that’s a good thing.

Everything else they did was warranty work from the chassis inspection.

Of interest they will apparently soon be offering an aftermarket air doubler install as well.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:19 PM   #7

We have been to Spartan 6 times in the the years we have owned Newmar/Spartan coaches. Each visit worked out well and enjoyed our trip there. Having owned 3 Spartan chassis we are just as pleased with our Spartan chassis as we are with our Newmar coach. Our London Aire on the Spartan K-3 chassis and the 605 engine has to be the finest chassis for a coach a person can find.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:15 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The coach we just picked up several weeks ago is our first coach on a Spartan Chassis (K-3 w/500 hp). All of our previous ones were on Freightliner. I am still a little nervous with the service aspect availability since we are based in south Florida, and I can't go to Gaffney any longer. We bought from NIRVC in Atlanta so that will be my "go to place" if possible ... but would sure like to also get up to Spartan HQ from time to time as well as I have heard good things about there like the about posts. Guess we will be planning some more trips to that area.

If anybody has any good service options in the south Florida area let me know.

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:46 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A Spartan follow-up question ... I notice that they sell "Chassis Care Kits" and I always like to carry some spare filters/belts in case I ever need one in a small town where you can find parts in a pinch. At least if you have the part maybe you can get it installed. I have not priced these out on a per item basis, but at $550 for my engine kit it looks reasonable. I know just the belts can add up and I just looked, and my engine has four (4) belts. Never had that many before.

Any of you Spartan owners get these?

FLSteve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	care kit 3d.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	360838  
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Yes. I’ve got one. I priced things out separately and for my particular kit it’s about a 75 dollar savings.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is the best way to get the belt part numbers? That is the only thing I feel like I need to add to my inventory.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:10 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
I notice that they sell "Chassis Care Kits"

Steve, I purchased one shortly after I took delivery of my '18 Anthem. Whenever I need a filter, I use the one from the Spartan Care Kit and replenish it with a new, fresh filter. It's nice to know that I've always got a replacement for any filter that I might need. Primarily the primary and secondary fuel filters. They pack the whole kit using a foam in place system making it very convenient to carry in the basement.

In years past, they have a sale in November, if you're not in a hurry.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
A Spartan follow-up question ... I notice that they sell "Chassis Care Kits" and I always like to carry some spare filters/belts in case I ever need one in a small town where you can find parts in a pinch. At least if you have the part maybe you can get it installed. I have not priced these out on a per item basis, but at $550 for my engine kit it looks reasonable. I know just the belts can add up and I just looked, and my engine has four (4) belts. Never had that many before.

FLSteve
I did get one when I first got my coach. Now after service I just order replacements for what I used. There was a savings when I got mine but don't remember how much it was.
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:49 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Mighty_J I am getting the Red Diamond leveling system on my 2021 Ventana and have a couple of questions. How do you like it so far? do you still use the jacks or did you remove them? where did they mount the control panel? Can you please provide some pictures?
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Tags
spartan