Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
JEG

Headlight Problems - Won't come on!

I purchased a 2006 Mountain Aire a few weeks ago and realized about a week ago that the headlights won't come on. Mechanic said it was the wheel encoder box so we ordered the box but no luck. The daytime running lights work as soon as I release the parking brake but when we pull the headlight switch out the daytime running lights go off and all the clearance lights come on but no headlights. We are wondering if they have a night time sensor that could be malfunctioning. Does anything else control the headlights? Pull the switch and they should come on! If anyone has any ideas I am up for suggestions. Thanks
JEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the Newmar forum JEG.
Has anyone pulled the headlight switch to see if all wires are connected?
Could a;so be a ground wire for headlights near chassis frame or ground buss.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
JEG

"007" Pulled the headlight switch to make sure there was power in and power out when switch was pulled. Traced power down to encoder box. Headlamp wires coming out of encoder box have no power. After changing encoder box same situation. That is why I was wondering if there was anything else that controled headlight power. We ran fused power to headlamp plug coming out of encoder box and headlamps come on. It appears that its no getting through the encoder box. Starting to scratch my head a little!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Does the box have 12v going into it? And does it have a good ground going into it.
Needs both. Who makes the encoder box?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
JEG

It has 12v going to the box and the ground is good. I ordered the box from Spartan but I didn't notice who built it. The guy at Spartan told me to try the wipers and the fast idle on the cruise to make sure the box was functioning properly. All of this worked fine after we installed the new box. The smart wheel instructions indicate that if you turn the wipers on it turns the headlights on but at this point that doesn't work either. It appears that something else is controling power out of the box for the headlights. Thats why I was wondering about a night time sensor that might be malfuncting. My mechanic and I are struggling but we are still pushing forward! Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd give Spartan a call back and explain what you have done and still can't get headlights to light but everything else works and lights work if directly powered.
They may even get you a wiring diagram.
Did you find a headlight fuse and get power coming out of fuse panel heading to headlights or control box? May be able to trace wires, may have circuit ID on them to trace.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
JEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I'd give Spartan a call back and explain what you have done and still can't get headlights to light but everything else works and lights work if directly powered.
They may even get you a wiring diagram.
Did you find a headlight fuse and get power coming out of fuse panel heading to headlights or control box? May be able to trace wires, may have circuit ID on them to trace.

We found a fuse marked for the headlights (15 amp) and the circuits are marked from what I have seen so far. I think I will take your advice and call Spartan tomorrow. Most of the time these things turn out to be something simple but this one has me puzzled. Thanks for the info
Old 08-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Not to be smart, but you sure the bulbs are good? I had a regulator surge and blow out the bulbs.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
They said they placed 12v to plug that plugs into control and the headlights lit. Puzzler
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
JEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
They said they placed 12v to plug that plugs into control and the headlights lit. Puzzler

I have downloaded a wiring diagram of the Smart Wheel system and I am going to see if I can find the problem. I already see by the diagram that there is a Head/Marker Lamp Control Block that I don't remember seeing. At least I know what I doing this weekend! Thanks
Old 08-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is this any where near your for Smart Wheel.
Found this thread also no clue if it will help you.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
JEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";681825]Is this any where near your [B][URL="http://www.vipwheels.com/PDF%20FILES/01460-I1V-_A.pdf
pdf for Smart Wheel[/URL][/B]? Here is another different view.
Found this thread also no clue if it will help you.
"007" Thanks alot.