Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Heat Exchanger Replacement

Hey guys!

I have a fan motor I need to replace in my front Aquahot komfort heat exchanger, under the dash. By removing the electronics panel (radio, camera, switches) and drawers, I can get at the unit, but not enough to get the exchanger out. I fear the dash is going to have to come completely apart. Problem is, I don't even see what's going to make that possible.

I know mechanicals inside and out - I've replaced axles, crank seals, hydraulic pumps, etc. etc. I can't for the life of me figure out how the dash is going to come out!

Any tips/thoughts?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Everything pulls out from bottom.
I think PDR John replaced on have to check his thread in the Hoots line-up.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyT View Post
Hey guys!

I have a fan motor I need to replace in my front Aquahot komfort heat exchanger, under the dash. By removing the electronics panel (radio, camera, switches) and drawers, I can get at the unit, but not enough to get the exchanger out. I fear the dash is going to have to come completely apart. Problem is, I don't even see what's going to make that possible.

I know mechanicals inside and out - I've replaced axles, crank seals, hydraulic pumps, etc. etc. I can't for the life of me figure out how the dash is going to come out!

Any tips/thoughts?

Thanks!
Hve you removed the compartment that the drawer slides into? I can get at mine by doing that. Also you can just replace the fan in place; a little tight working room but possible.

Good Luck
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks! Newmar said everything I need to do should be doable behind the center of the dash -- the radio, drawers, etc. They said it takes their techs about 5 hours to replace the exchanger.

Terry, I assume you mean the steel box? I was hoping to avoid that, but it looks unavoidable. That must be where most of the labor is.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I believe John remover the grill at bottom of the console and was able to pull exchanger right out after removing base screws.
Been looking through his long thread because he had pictures but haven't found yet.
You must have the manual in QT's 1 & 2 there is a bunch of threads on the systems.
This has come up before if I find his post I'M going to add in the QT's.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyT View Post
Thanks! Newmar said everything I need to do should be doable behind the center of the dash -- the radio, drawers, etc. They said it takes their techs about 5 hours to replace the exchanger.

Terry, I assume you mean the steel box? I was hoping to avoid that, but it looks unavoidable. That must be where most of the labor is.
In ours when you pulled the drawer out; there were some screws to remove and then the plastic box came out.
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I believe John remover the grill at bottom of the console and was able to pull exchanger right out after removing base screws.
Been looking through his long thread because he had pictures but haven't found yet.
You must have the manual in QT's 1 & 2 there is a bunch of threads on the systems.
This has come up before if I find his post I'M going to add in the QT's.
I'd bet that was the rear exchanger then -- there is a grill for that. The front requires more disassembly. I was hoping there was a shortcut, but Newmar said it should take about 5 hours.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You do not have a draw?
OK I FOUND THE LINK I mention earlier. Hope it helps.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, 007. We had pretty different setups -- the exchanger he ended up with is similar to what I had to begin with. The dash appears different, but I do appreciate the link and research!

I finished this project up last night. It took every bit of 7 hours to complete, though I think I could get within the Newmar specified time of 5 hours if I had to do it again (which I hope I never have to!) I thought I'd provide an overview of the steps in case another MADP (07-09 Essex should be similar) needs to replace the dual squirrel cage fan motor in their heat exchanger. Note: There is NO way the motor can be removed without taking the whole exchanger out -- don't even bother. There's screws in the bottom, back, side, etc.

- Remove the 8 center dash panel screws and air brake knob pin/knob.

- Remove the two bottom drawers.

- I had to label and disconnect several harnesses to get the faux wood grain panel out of the way enough to work. Your mileage may vary on this, but be careful - the panel is not infallible.

- You will see a sheet metal enclosure -- left side, right side and a plate on the top. Remove the two screws holding the top plate to the right side. You may have to gently shove aside dash ductwork and wiring to get to the back screw.

- While still working from the top, extend your go-go-gadget arms and remove the bolt holding the heat exchanger to the floor bracket on the right side.

- Move to the floor/drawer area. Remove the left side bracket bolt to allow the exchanger to rotate upwards. There's hardly any room because of the steel plate, but with the little room you have, reach your hand behind the steel plate on the right and remove the sheet metal screw holding it to the floor bracket. A right angle power screwdriver will save you some agony.

- Once the bottom screw is removed, flex the sheet metal to the left (careful of the ductwork!) -- yes, flex it; it will not permanently bend! Give yourself enough room to get your arm allllll the way to the back of the right side of that sheet metal and remove the two 4" screws holding the sheet metal to the wooden support found in the center of the dash. This is a challenge. Again, a right angle power screwdriver will reduce the time and profanity required to get past this step.

- Now the sheet metal is free from bracing. You must now finagle and flex the sheet metal up and around the exchanger to get it pulled out from the dash (which can only be done corner-to-corner; it's too wide to come straight out.)

- With that gone, you'll have full access to the exchanger. Get the rags out and stuff them under the supply and return hoses on the back right side of the exchanger. It will get messy!

- Move the clamps off each hose -- this bit is easier said than done as you can't entirely see what you're doing. A couple of tips though -- leave the rubber elbows on the core; they're practically fused onto the copper and removing is very difficult. You don't want to wrench on it and crack the core. Work from where the plastic supply/return lines enter the rubber elbows. Tip #2: Slide the clamps to the LEFT, leaving them on the rubber elbow. This will make re-installation MUCH easier as you'll be able to get a grip on them with pliers. You can only get one hand in there at a time (at least, I could) so if you remove the clamps to the plastic side, they'll just spin around when you're trying to grab them on reinstall.

- The hoses should pop right off once the clamps are out of place.

- At this point, you can cut the wires to the exchanger and pull the unit out of the dash. Try to keep the inlet/outlet tipped upwards... again, it's messy!

- Once out and on your bench, remove the two edge screws on the bottom front. You can then release the top tabs with your fingers and simply pull the manifold (with duct) off the exchanger, exposing the core.

- There are 2 screws on each side. 2 on the back (note: you will have to peel back the sealant tape around the inlet to access), 2 on top of the motor and 2 that are somewhat hidden underneath. Finally, remove the 4 or 5 screws on the endcaps for the squirrel cages. The cover should now lift off!

- Before pulling the motor off, which should be free now, take note of the position of the squirrel cages within the housing. The cages are adjustable and whether you replace them or move them over (I opted to replace) - you need to get the alignment right to avoid hitting the endcaps or either side of the housing.

- Replace motor and put everything back together!

Some projects I enjoy -- like converting the 3 heat pumps to the new comfort control center 2 system. This was not an enjoyable project. Nobody has ever worked on my coach except me, apart from alignments, but if I could overcome that level of anal retentiveness, I think I would have cheerfully paid $500 in labor to have this done. On the upside, there is some satisfaction to doing things yourself and knowing, without a doubt, they were done right.

Good luck! I did take some pictures, which I'll post later.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
WOW LindyT your detailed description sure will make the pictures mute.
Why is it this register gives everyone problems and not a easy removal as the others.
Looks like the register placement is different in your MA than the DS COACH in the thread I provided in other post or Newmar got smarter in installing in the newer coach's because of the work involved.
I have to put this thread in the QT's # 3 I'm sure its going to come up again.
Thanks for the write up its sure some learning experience.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess these coaches are just so feature-packed and complicated that there will always be some items that are just a PITA to R&R. Shame that the engineers can't more carefully consider these things during the design process.

I had noisy fans on three of my four exchangers in my CC. While it is an Aqua Hot system, the exchangers were made by Heater Craft. I replaced all the noisy HC fans with the Cozy III quiet fans from AH. They easily fit into the HC exchangers.

The exchangers under the bed, shower and galley were easy to access. Fortunately, the dash unit is the one that is not noisy so I did not have to get to that one..... yet.

Tags
replace, replacement