Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heat for winter driving

First of all I apologize if there is thread on this forum somewhere, but I have not mastered the secret hand shake using the "Search" tool on this forum.

I understand there a four heat sources within the coach.

(1) Dash heater. I will assume Newmar's is no more efficient than the dash heater on my Tiffin on really cold days.

(2) Heat pumps. We used these in our Tiffin quit effective, as long as temperature was above 40 degrees.

(3) Heated Floors. Did not have heated floors on our Tiffin Phaeton. Can these be used to heat coach interior will driving with slides in (with generator running)?

(4) Oasis heating with either electric strips 1 and/or 2 (with generator running)? Is this the best option with temperatures sub 35/40 degrees.

In your opinion which is best and safest for passengers and coach?
2012 JEEP Liberty 4WD,Demco Dominator, AF1
GW4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure if the Oasis has it or not but many of the AquaHot systems had an engine loop. This may provide the heat source while driving and using the Oasis.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Depends on what the outside temperatures are. If it is really cold turn on the Oasis with diesel and let the boiler come up to temperature. Then start your journey. The engine heat will keep the Oasis up to or nearly up to temp, it may fire the diesel on occasion but mostly engine heat. No need for generator as everything you are running is either needed for travel or 12 volt.

If outside temps are more moderate take your pick but the Oasis really is the simplest. It uses less diesel than the generator, btw.

Tom
Old 04-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't use the electric floors when the slides are in on our 38' Phaeton. 1- requires generator, and 2- my observation is that a lot of the heated floor is covered by the slides. Therefore not efficient, not good for heated floor, not good for slides. (my opinion only, not something I saw in a manual or somewhere)
When we need heat beyond the dash we run the generator and heat pumps for a short while if above 45° or the Aquahot on diesel w/o generator if below, typically during a lunch or other break. Both quick (15 min. or so) with heat pumps being quicker.
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #5
Rd1

(1) Dash heater. I will assume Newmar's is no more efficient than the dash heater on my Tiffin on really cold days.

I use the dash heat. For the front cabin it has been more than enough. I also use the overhead fans. however, it won't jkeep the back of the coach warm

(2) Heat pumps. We used these in our Tiffin quit effective, as long as temperature was above 40 degrees. it is the same

(3) Heated Floors. Did not have heated floors on our Tiffin Phaeton. Can these be used to heat coach interior will driving with slides in (with generator running)?
The heating elements warm-up the floors fairly quick.
However, when stationary it takes a good few hours to radiate some heat when outside temps are in the 30s. Down to 30, I can keep inside temps just over 60 and very comfortable, while stationary. Moving may be different, unless you had them ON long before departure. They may not be a good source of heat while moving with 30 deg temp outside, but they will keep the floors nice and warm, if you are barefoot!.

(4) Oasis heating with either electric strips 1 and/or 2 (with generator running)? Is this the best option with temperatures sub 35/40 degrees.

Oasis works well. no need to run the AC elements or the Gen. Oasis requires the 'Burner' to be ON while the engine is running to supply the heat. If the Burner is not ON you would not get the engine coolant heating the oasis.
while the engine coolant is sufficiently hot, the oasis burner will not be running, but it needs to be ON for the oasis to function using the engine coolant as the source of heat. Along with the dash heat, you should be able to keep inside toasty.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - Depends on what the outside temperatures are. If it is really cold turn on the Oasis with diesel and let the boiler come up to temperature. Then start your journey. The engine heat will keep the Oasis up to or nearly up to temp, it may fire the diesel on occasion but mostly engine heat. No need for generator as everything you are running is either needed for travel or 12 volt.

If outside temps are more moderate take your pick but the Oasis really is the simplest. It uses less diesel than the generator, btw.

Tom
This gets my vote for best answer.

The other point not mentioned is if it is below freezing the Oasis heat is what supplies heat to the wet bay via a heat exchanger & fan.

When cold the day / night before we leave I leave the Oasis heat on with temp set low - will raise the temp before we leave to have a comfy start. Engine coolant does a decent job maintaining temp.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
The Aqua Hot has a loop with the engine (imagine it’s also used for the preheat) which keeps the entire coach warm. Only problem is the thermostat for that can’t be reached from the driver’s seat.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:06 PM   #8

My Oasis gets heat from the engine loop whether the burner is turned on or not. I agree it would be best to have it on but in my coach it's not required to have it on to provide heat enroute.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:24 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
"Oasis works well. no need to run the AC elements or the Gen. Oasis requires the 'Burner' to be ON while the engine is running to supply the heat. If the Burner is not ON you would not get the engine coolant heating the oasis.
while the engine coolant is sufficiently hot, the oasis burner will not be running, but it needs to be ON for the oasis to function using the engine coolant as the source of heat. Along with the dash heat, you should be able to keep inside toasty."
Strange why does my Oasis work just fine keeping the coach warm with the burner off with just engine heat? I also like having ho water any time I stop.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, winter