Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #15

Don, I have the same issue with the hot water in the shower. I've heard if the water coming into the MH is too cold it will have trouble keeping up the temp, but I didn't' want to get out of the shower and go outside to switch from city water to the water tank. I need to plan ahead.

Joelyn5, I would think the DS is setup the same as the Essex. It's been too warm here in Colorado to test the wet bay heater. Maybe next week.
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
On our 2008 dutch Star there was plenty of hot water for a normal shower with the Oasis on electrical mode. We only used the diesel burners occasionally, only when we wanted to take very long showers. We normally kept the furnace off or on electric during the summer. This way we had no problems with basement temperature. We did not have a rear bath.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:25 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Heat in Water Compartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm also still having a hit and miss situation where the water at the bath doesn't get that hot. Oasis said it depended on the water temp going into the unit. I've made some flow control adjustments, but it still doesn't get as hot as I think it should. Even though it's unlimited hot water, it often isn't that hot.

Check out this thread.....could be the same issue....a anti-scald device in your showerhead which is limiting the flow of hot water. Others have discovered ways to adjust or remove this device to restore plenty of hot water.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209753
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"andyh".....On our very first trip with the coach the weather was about 75 during the day and we found the coach would not cool down, with the windows open even in the cooler evenings. I later discovered that I had the furnace on, but set really low so it wouldn't come on. I think my mistake was, the radiators were getting water circulated to them, even though their fans were not running. and their was heat coming off of them. I now leave the thermostat turned off unless we specifically need heat or cooling. That helps to cool off the inside of the coach in warmer weather. The OASIS unit, even while idling, just produces a lot of heat in the storage bay. My concern was possible long term damage to my Magnum inverter mounted on the roof of the bay.

"pasdad1".....Thanks for the link....I discussed the hot water issue before in a post and eventually turned up the flow valve on the Oasis. I hadn't seen any info on that restrictor. As soon as I read your post, I grabbed my allen wrenches and went out and removed the handle. The DS has the same shower control as the Anthem in the link. There it was, a big red restrictor. It came right out with a pair of needle nose pliers. It looks like I get a smidge more sweep with the handle. We'll test it in two weeks. Thanks

Now here is one last anomaly. Two weeks ago we actually used the furnace, other than just testing it, to heat the coach. I found the fans throughout the coach were a little noisy and turned the fan speed on the thermostat from "AUTO" to "LOW". The minute I did this, the heat pumps came on. Turned it back to "AUTO" and they shut down. I'm guessing the fans only have one speed, but was surprised to see the heat pumps come on. Anyone have the same experience.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #19

Don, I played with the Auto setting on our last trip. The manual states the Auto setting gives the HP priority when heat is needed. Supposedly if the outside temp is too cold for the HP, the furnace comes on. I set the thermostat to Auto at 70 degrees and a two degree rise it is supposed to turn on the AC at 72 deg. A two degree drop and the HP kicks in at 68 deg. It never to cold enough for the furnace to kick in.

I noticed the blowers on the furnace were noisy also. Whenever the furnace would come on I had to turn up the volume on the TV and turn it down when the furnace kicked off again. Kind of annoying
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don,

My system is operating the same as yours. I was surprised to find only one speed with the fans. I did some testing today and found the heat exchanger in my basement water compartment works with zone 3. Basically I have two zones with the oasis system. If I want to use heat pumps I have 3 zones to choose from but really only need two. The heat pumps work nice. For temps lower than 40 degrees we will use the oasis system. If freezing temps are in the forecast I now know I can use zone 3 and keep from freezing anything.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks guys......GREAT INFO regarding how the heat pumps integrate with the furnace.

On our previous coach we primarily used the heat pumps when we had shore power. This coach came with the fireplace that always makes people laugh when they see it, but when we're up front, the fireplace heater REALLY keeps the coach warm.

I sat and read all of the manuals when I first got the coach, especially the HWH and Oasis systems which were new to me. It's overwhelming at first and I found with my last DP that rereading some of the manuals later on, made more sense.

I can't wait to see how this coach does at Yosemite in two weeks. Our Monaco was soooo drafty. During the day we would run a Buddy Heat to keep the chill off and save the batteries. I think the DS is going to be much warmer.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water