Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

Heat in Water Compartment

Which zone activates the heat register in the basement water compartment?
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
On Newmars with Oasis Hydronic furnace I believe the water compartment has it's own zone, Zone 4

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar coaches with Oasis hydronic heat the water compartment has it's own zone, zone 4

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
Old 11-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Andy, where is that controlled from?

thanks
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #5

I only have a zone 1 & 2.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
There is a non adjustable thermostat in the water compartment. It is attached to one of the hoses with a spring clamp, and connected directly to zone 4 of the Oasis Zone controller.
When you switch the thermostat inside the coach to furnace, it will control the water compartment radiator independently of the rest of the zones. If the thermostat is on heat pump, there will be no heat in the water compartment.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So, if I understand correctly, as long as the furnace is running there will be heat supplied to the wet bay?

If using the in-floor heat, is there enough heat radiated from the floor to keep the bays warm?
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
As long as the inside thermostat is on furnace, there will be heat in the water bay. the main bay is not heated directly, only by the heat radiatet by the Oasis main unit. I don't have in-floor heat, so I don't know how much heat radiates down to the tanks, but my guess is that it wouldn't be much, since the floor heat elements are above the insulation. Since the floor heat is electric, i think you can have the furnace on with the floor heat simultaneously.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #9

So it doesn't actually read zone 4 on the inside thermostat, it just operates off the zone 4 thermostat located in the wet bay when either zone 1 or 2 is set to furnace?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
That is correct. If you have 2 inside zones, the wet bay heater is probably wired to zone 3.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #11

Got it! Thanks Andy. I'll test it out.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #12

Tom -I have an 11 all electric Essex with an Oasis. I had the same question. One tech at Newmar "thought" that all I needed was a heat source but another wasn't so sure, so I conducted some experiments. According to Newmar the thermistor in the wet bay is set to request heat at about 40 degrees. So one day when it was really cold outside I opened the water bay door and exposed that thermistor to something well below 40. Then I turned all zones off but turned on an Oasis heat source. The radiatior (Newmar calls it a convector) got hot and the fan behind it came on. It didn't matter which heat source I selected: I got heat in the bay with only the electric elements on or with only the burner on, or of course if both were on. But I did not have to turn on the furnace---all zones were off. Maybe my coach is wired differently, but that's how mine is wired.

Sometimes free advice is worth what you pay for it, so until you can verify that your coach is wired the same as mine, when you may get freezing temps in the bay I'd turn on an Oasis heat source then turn on all zones. You could set the temps on the zones you don't want to come on to some really low temp, thus if the water bay heat is tied to a living area zone, you'd get heat down there. What is clear is that the thermistor in the bay controls whether or not you get heat there. The heat settings in the living area are not what controls heat to the bay. Hope this helps. Let us hear from you if you conduct your own experiment.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here with pictures is the heater and sensor in the water tank bay. Scroll down.
Found in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"andyh" and "joelyn5".......Thanks for the info. The Oasis system really could use some better documentation detailing how it works and especially how it works in a Newmar.

We're getting ready for our annual trip to Yosemite at Thanksgiving. It will occasionally get down to 25 degrees at night, but not sustained long enough to freeze anything. It will be our first test of the Oasis system in cold weather while boon docking.

This Oasis system has been a learning experience. I still have a couple of issues that I'm not happy with. With a rear bath, it takes some time to get hot water back there, especially when we're boon docking. I'm also still having a hit and miss situation where the water at the bath doesn't get that hot. Oasis said it depended on the water temp going into the unit. I've made some flow control adjustments, but it still doesn't get as hot as I think it should. Even though it's unlimited hot water, it often isn't that hot.

My second issue is the heat that develops in the storage bay when the system is on. I opened my bay door this summer, at about 11:00 pm to put some chairs away and the bay was stifling hot. I've constructed and installed a blower/vent, but haven't been able to test in warm weather. I'm hoping this issue will work in my favor while at Yosemite.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water