RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

Heat Pump Problem

I have a 2015 Dutch Star 4018. I keep it in an insulated shed and set the thermostat to 58 degrees. When checking a couple days ago, I noticed that the rear heat pump did not seem to be working. When the thermostat is set above the inside temperature, the heat pump starts humming like it's going to kick on...and then stops. It repeats this behavior but never kicks on. Any ideas on what's going on?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #2

What is the amperage of the shore power you're plugged into? Does your other units heat pump work ok?

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #3

What is the air temperature inside your building? I donít recall the exact temperature, but if youíre in the low 40ís the heat pump wonít turn on as itís too cold.
Newmar2856 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #4

Heat Pump Problem

Capt. Bill - The shed has a 50 amp circuit. The front unit works fine. I tried turning the front unit off - no difference, the humming sound from the rear unit, then nothing.

Newmar 2856 - The temp inside the shed is mid-50s.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #5

I had a similar issue with our front AC. I could hear the compressor kick on, but no fan due to a failed start capacitor. YouTube has videos on how to test the capacitor. Another option is to remove the front capacitor and install it in the rear unit and see if it will run.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - Sounds just like a capacitor. Buy a kit and replace them.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'm guessing that your coach is all-electric with an Oasis hydronic heat system - in addition to your heat pumps. I live in a northern climate - too cold to get much use out of the heat pumps. In our twenty years of RVing, we have used the heat pumps maybe three times. We find them to be noisy with a very limited effective operational temperature range. Compared to the regular Oasis furnace, the heat pumps just don't make much sense in our climate. We DO USE them for cooling in the summer. If my front heat pump did not work I would take a big yawn. To each their own.

Can you use your Oasis system set on AC (electric heat elements) and use that instead of the heat pumps?
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #8

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm going to get on the roof and do some basic troubleshooting. It sounds like it could be a capacitor and I'll get some help with that so I don't do something stupid. :-)
Old 11-28-2020, 05:13 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.perry View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm going to get on the roof and do some basic troubleshooting. It sounds like it could be a capacitor and I'll get some help with that so I don't do something stupid. :-)
It helps to have a clampmeter with capacitance test feature. My rear unit fan capacitor went bad and did what you described...in air conditioning mode (Jan in Florida...still using A/C)

I would try in air conditioning mode...Just to rule out a reversing valve issue...

Up on the roof...four Phillips head screws remove the cover. The dual start run capacitor can be tricky to find with the same uF values....so, might take a picture of yours to make sure you get the right one. If it is the fan start capacitor...if you have someone to help. ...have them turn the unit on. While you listen for the humming, or notice the fan cage bump. Carefully give the fan a spin with your hand...and see if it doesn't start running. If it does...it's probably just the fan start capacitor...if it doesn't might need a new fan motor.

I keep a spare capacitor with us now. It's an easy repair...but only if you have the part. Seems these things always break on a Sunday, or when nobody within 100 miles has stock of the part.

There are a few different models, so yours may use different values than mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200112_070212.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	309559  
Old 11-28-2020, 06:15 AM   #10

Thank you, Charlie. I'll give that a try.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #11

Normal when too cold for the unit mine does it all the time in spring and fall before full winter storage shut-down.
It does that so that when the water freezes when below 32į it will not ruin the unit.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:42 AM   #12

Are you sure it's not just the heat pump defrost cycle running? The defrost cycle runs the compressor without the fan.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heat pump, problem, pump