Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #1

Heater question

Hello everyone!!

We have a ‘17 all electric Ventana.

If we have the AC heaters I and II turned off at the control panel and the Oasis system is off and the furnace kicks on, will we get heat?

I know the AC elements or the Oasis heat provide heat for water, furnace, etc, but I’m wondering if the furnace will turn on an AC heat element to heat the coach automatically or if I must have at least one heat option turned on at the control panel for the furnace to provide heat?

Thanks!!

Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2022, 09:21 AM   #2

If you don’t have the oasis on, either to the burner or AC 1/2, the furnace will not work, even the wet bay will not work unless you select a heat option on the oasis
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddowntown View Post
If you don’t have the oasis on, either to the burner or AC 1/2, the furnace will not work, even the wet bay will not work unless you select a heat option on the oasis
Thanks. That’s what I thought. I wish the Oasis burner had a temperature option where I could leave it on, but it would only fire up if the temperature dropped below a certain level.

I’m trying to figure out the best way to keep our coach ‘stored’ at the campground without having to winterize the lines and without running an A/c element or the Oasis burner 24/7 as that gets expensive and /or will burn too much diesel.

We have cell service and wifi, but there’s no way to remotely turn on an AC element if the temperature drops. It’s about 1.5 hour drive to our campground where we keep the coach. ��
Old 01-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #4

I don't understand...
Just because Oasis is on doesn't mean it runs 24/7. Set the thermostat to a temp just sufficient to prevent freezing and the burner runs as needed to maintain that temp. I would be concerned if your storage is enclosed running the burner.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #5

Do you have air conditioning/heat pump combinations? Our coaches are different but the way I set the hvac when we leave is the heat pumps @ 55 and the AC 1 & 2 on. The heat pumps will turn off with outside temps below 40 degrees and Oasis will take over.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I don't understand...
Just because Oasis is on doesn't mean it runs 24/7. Set the thermostat to a temp just sufficient to prevent freezing and the burner runs as needed to maintain that temp. I would be concerned if your storage is enclosed running the burner.
Our RV is ‘stored’ at a campground with full hookups, so running the burner is no problem.

If I understand you correctly, I can leave the AC I and II off, the Oasis ON and the furnace thermostat set to 40 degrees and the Oasis will only fire up if the inside temp reaches 40 and the furnace kicks on? I was under the impression that the Oasis will fire up periodically to keep the water/glycol mixture hot and ready for use if the AC I or II are off or inadequate to keep the water /glycol hot?

Thanks for your help in this. 😎
Old 01-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Heater question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZero View Post
Our RV is ‘stored’ at a campground with full hookups, so running the burner is no problem.

If I understand you correctly, I can leave the AC I and II off, the Oasis ON and the furnace thermostat set to 40 degrees and the Oasis will only fire up if the inside temp reaches 40 and the furnace kicks on? I was under the impression that the Oasis will fire up periodically to keep the water/glycol mixture hot and ready for use if the AC I or II are off or inadequate to keep the water /glycol hot?

Thanks for your help in this. [emoji41]

No, you had it right the first time….. the diesel burner will cycle on/off to keep boiler hot as long as burner switch is on (It doesn’t know you won’t need hot water)

Thermostat only controls zone pump/fans.

Your other choice is to use a portable heater with a separate thermostat….but this won’t heat basement.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #8

IMHO the safest way to to prevent problems is to run RV antifreeze through the system. Then there’s absolutely no worries about the Oasis failing, running out of diesel fuel, the power going out in the campground.
I take my coach in and out of my garage several times during cold weather. I winterize and de-winterize several times each year. It’s the only foolproof method I know of to prevent damage from pipes freezing.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #9

I’m only 1.5 hours from the coach when it’s stored, and I have monitors that tell me the temps inside (as well as my wet bay), etc. drop below freezing. The town it’s stored in only goes below freezing a dozen times a year or so and even then it’s usually only for a few hours.

Antifreeze is foolproof, but I’m looking for a solution that doesn’t require antifreeze but still provides decent protection. If everything went south, I could simply drive up and physically stay in the RV to make sure everything is fine.

I’ll keep looking for solutions…. ��
Old 01-23-2022, 04:56 PM   #10

You didn't say, but it sounds like you have it plugged-in, 15A, 30A or 50A? I would get some small electric heaters, whatever your plug-in will handle, with thermostats. My thermostats go down to 39*, one in wet bay, Aqua Hot bay, and one or two in the area in the coach that has water lines. If it's below freezing, it doesn't take much to maintain about 40* inside.

On freezing nights, I use a light bulb in the Aqua Hot and wet bay with the thermostat heater in the coach until we do our Christmas trip, then I winterize.

Tags
heater, heat