Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #1

Heater short on flow

My new 2015 Bay Star 2903 took its maiden voyage this week. It was great except for a few minor issues. The heater flows a tremendous amount of air thru a rectangular grill under the stove and also circular grill next to it at the corner. But, the bath room has only a small two inch duct. There was next to nothing coming out of it. I removed the circular grill at the corner and blocked the air. The result was more air in the bathroom. When I check the bedroom the air was low. Found the tube had fallen off With the bedroom and bathroom better, I removed the removable grill covering the furnace to expose the plenum. There was a lot of air leaking from taps that where not used. The plenum needs to be sealed better and I bet the air flow will increase more. We will see as soon as I seal the furnace . There is a duct that goes into the basement to heat the water tank area. Does anyone know if it has a grill to stop rodents?
zrobotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The larger wood grill is usually the furnace return for the cool air to enter for further heating. You may also have a metal grill at the base of your shower for returning air to furnace from below in your holding tank areas.
You may need to check your feed lines to outlet grills to make sure they have not collapsed or come off the outlets or feeds off the furnace.
To control air flow to different areas I placed vents that could be adjusted to block the flow out to each location.
The foil tube to tank area does not have a grill that I'm aware of mine has a 12v fan that cycles with the furnace for faster air flow to tank area and a switch on water bay panel to shut off fan if need be.
Use baited wire spring traps baited with peanut butter to control the mice works every time.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #3

Heater is now fixed. There were leaks from the tap plugs in the plenum. I tapped the leaks with aluminum tape and sealed the system. That made a big difference. The flow to the bath and bedroom has greatly improved. Next I want to make sure that the basement duct is not open for any unwanted guests. Might have to put a screen to block the entrance . BS 2015 2903
Old 11-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I never placed anything in foil tube hole has a 12v fan in it and a trap for mice in furnace area, now that you mentioned it Idid have a mouse get its head decapitated in the fan of the furnace, always wondered how he got in there you may have solved it.
Mice will get through everything even a crack, I just put wire traps everywhere, use to catch a lot at old house but not that many here plus we have a good mouser here.
Thanks for posting your results stay warm the next few days.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:52 PM   #5

How many foil hoses did you have coming off your furnace? We had the furnace on in our 2015 2903 and there was no heat to the rear but plenty to the vent by the door and the one under the fridge. I took off the furnace intake and saw only two hoses coming off felt around the unit and it didn't seem to be flowing out anything else.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gremlin, my furnace fed into a air pabulum in floor that distributed the hot air through duct in floor to registers cut into it, I replaced the plastic ones with metal adjustable type.
A register in bedroom one in hallway floor and one up front near passenger seat.
Off the main floor duct was a floor duct to 1/2 bath and feed off rear end of duct to full bath cabinet at rear of coach.
Another foil feed to duct output base of kitchen cabinet and foil duct to tank area with 12v muffin fan that would come on when furnace operated.
Had plenty of heat to all areas and with the adjustable vents I could steer heat to needed warmer areas.
There was the cool air return at base of refrigerator back of furnace and one under shower base from lower tank compartment areas.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #7

Explain where you put the muffin fan and how you wired the fan. I could not understand your complete explaination

Tags
heater