Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #1

Heating with Oasis

Either I did not get the rundown on this or my mind was in overload during FPU. We have a 2017 LADP with Oasis. How do you use the Oasis to heat the coach. I have SilverLeaf and my displays are different than any of my manuals. So, you LADP, MADP, Essex owners can help me out by sharing some information.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #2

My heat pumps do not come on when outside temp is at 39 degrees or below.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
Either I did not get the rundown on this or my mind was in overload during FPU. We have a 2017 LADP with Oasis. How do you use the Oasis to heat the coach. I have SilverLeaf and my displays are different than any of my manuals. So, you LADP, MADP, Essex owners can help me out by sharing some information. With heat pumps, how do you keep the fans/heat pumps not run when very cold outside?
On the silver leaf go to climate and you will see where you can put it on electric element 1 and or both and then just oasis...then go back and can set what a/c or room temp you want...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #4

On your monitor go to climate on that screen there is a block that says oasis three selections electric element 1 and 2 and burner. I use electric when I can turn these on and set your tempt to heat
Old 07-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #5

There is a switch on your dash for low med and high that controls the front of the coach I have a 2015 lady I'm assuming that they are the same. Also you have to have the monitor set not using your heat pumps. Primary and secondary. I can't remember exactly but I think it is secondary for oasis I could be wrong. Hope this helps I'm not at the coach
Steve 2015 London Aire
Old 07-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
I have a much older unit than you but it probably functions in a similar way. The control (part of the thermostat) says " Heat AC Fan Furnace" . To engage the heat pumps set it on "heat" . To engage the hydronic system (in your case OASIS) set it on "furnace". On my unit (and maybe on yours), in very very cold weather I make sure it is on "furnace" because the heat pump does not heat the basement.
xv108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
Rd1

you can configure the heating arrangements thru the Features menu option. then goto Climate Configuration. there you can choose primary and secondary options for your heating. I 'think' primary is the heat pump and secondary is your oasis heating. you have one or the other or both. if your primary is selected, the oasis will not kick in.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #8

The Secondary Heat Management setting determines how the HVAC systems are set up. The automatic setting (the default) uses the Heat Pumps as the primary source and the OASIS system as the secondary heat source. The heat pumps will not work well below about 40 degrees, so this is when the system will start using the OASIS.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gluckman View Post
The Secondary Heat Management setting determines how the HVAC systems are set up. The automatic setting (the default) uses the Heat Pumps as the primary source and the OASIS system as the secondary heat source. The heat pumps will not work well below about 40 degrees, so this is when the system will start using the OASIS.
I'll tag onto this. If it will be below 40 degrees you must remember to turn on the burner. The Oasis electric elements will not be able to keep up heating both the coach and your shower. Also, if the coach is cold when you first turn on the heat and the current inside temp is more than 3 degrees below what you've set the thermostat the Oasis will kick on, regardless of what the outside temp is.

Another tip, on very cold mornings you'll get no heat in the rear bath unless using the oasis. It has to be really cold outside before I need to turn on the rear bath heat specifically, it usually gets enough heat from the bedroom (via the heat pump/AC outlet in there) or the heated floor, if it's cold enough to use those (optional, you may not have heated floors).
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
if the coach is cold when you first turn on the heat and the current inside temp is more than 3 degrees below what you've set the thermostat the Oasis will kick on, regardless of what the outside temp is.
I never knew this -- there is always something else to learn. And almost none of it is in the manuals. Good thing we have IRV2!
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I'll tag onto this. If it will be below 40 degrees you must remember to turn on the burner. The Oasis electric elements will not be able to keep up heating both the coach and your shower. Also, if the coach is cold when you first turn on the heat and the current inside temp is more than 3 degrees below what you've set the thermostat the Oasis will kick on, regardless of what the outside temp is.

Another tip, on very cold mornings you'll get no heat in the rear bath unless using the oasis. It has to be really cold outside before I need to turn on the rear bath heat specifically, it usually gets enough heat from the bedroom (via the heat pump/AC outlet in there) or the heated floor, if it's cold enough to use those (optional, you may not have heated floors).
What I don't understand is when you run Oasis for heat, how do you turn off the heat pumps to keep them from blowing cold air, are there blowers for the Oasis heat exchangers, and do you do anything with the module mounted on the wall in the Oasis locker?
Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
What I don't understand is when you run Oasis for heat, how do you turn off the heat pumps to keep them from blowing cold air, are there blowers for the Oasis heat exchangers, and do you do anything with the module mounted on the wall in the Oasis locker?
You don't need to turn them off.

As mentioned, your system is probably programmed so the heat exchangers are the primary heat source. (You can reprogram to favor the Oasis, if you prefer).

The "computer" will run the heat pumps unless the outside temp is too low for them to overcome in which case it will bypass those and turn on the Oasis. Yes, the Oasis has blowers behind each of the multiple "radiators" in your coach. The system may run both the heat pumps and the Oasis if all it is trying to do is overcome the 3 degree plus differential between your thermostat setting and the current interior temp. Once that differential is reduced the Oasis will probably shut off.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 07-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #13
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Turn your thermostat on to Furnace. I have never got the auto to switch between heat pump and oasis. Tried once when the outside temp was 35. Heat pumps struggled to put out heat but no auto transfer.

Now the auto setting DOES switch between AC and heat pump, but I have found this function to be too touchy to be of much use.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I suspect the Ventana system controls have little resemblance to the Silver Leaf controls in the LA.
2024 Ford Expedition

Tags
heat, heating